Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Which site has Tom's rear strut brace 6 piece etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 03:19 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which site has Tom's rear strut brace 6 piece etc

Sorry to bother you guys but I did a search here and in yahoo to try to find a place to buy tom's strut braces for the GS any idea what site handles them? I get a few sites in the search but none have lexus stuff. Thanks
Old 03-23-05, 03:37 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i know someone selling the fron tower strut brace and he is a very good seller
Old 03-23-05, 04:22 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

I already have the TRD front strut brace, I didn't know about the Toms until now, right now I need rear stuff
Old 03-23-05, 04:25 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

does the tom's front brace work along with the trd underbrace front? and I see that the carson toyota place sells toms but my god is that expensive, anything out there cheaper? I saw a 6K suspension kit there
Old 03-23-05, 04:54 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

bro

the toms lower control brace replaces the oem and is better designed then the trd version

the extra links makes all the diff .. it keeps the front eng cradle area from distorting while cornering as well as keeps the lower control arms from also distorting from their designed range

it simply works well , its worth the extra money if handling is what you desire,,,, hit up carson toyota and tell him big ed from south florida sent ya
Old 03-23-05, 06:26 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsmart
I already have the TRD front strut brace, I didn't know about the Toms until now, right now I need rear stuff

My bad

should have read it more carefully
Old 03-23-05, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsmart
does the tom's front brace work along with the trd underbrace front? and I see that the carson toyota place sells toms but my god is that expensive, anything out there cheaper? I saw a 6K suspension kit there
that site is one of the cheapest place already. toms stuff aren't cheap to begin with. and even used i don't think their price is going to be too low coz' 1) supply and demand, and 2) these are not tear and wear item like shocks.

the front brace is replacement like ed said, you either use stock or trd or toms. the rear piece are add on, as long as they clear whatever exhaust you got
Old 03-24-05, 10:56 AM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Default Ride harshness?

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but while talking about the Tom's braces and 6 links, etc....does this affect ride quality at all? I'm assuming it shouldn't cuz it only reinforces and stiffens the "torqueing" and twisting of various parts to the undercarriage and does nothing to the actual shock/strut/suspension travel and dampening.

Is this correct? Thanks, i've done searches on it but haven't found anything conclusive recently.
Old 03-24-05, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by PineGreen
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but while talking about the Tom's braces and 6 links, etc....does this affect ride quality at all? I'm assuming it shouldn't cuz it only reinforces and stiffens the "torqueing" and twisting of various parts to the undercarriage and does nothing to the actual shock/strut/suspension travel and dampening.

Is this correct? Thanks, i've done searches on it but haven't found anything conclusive recently.
when you go on uneven road, you will feel a bit harshness in teh ride, coz' the car flex much less now. especially the rear since the 6 links makes the rear suspension less "flexible" to certain extend.

but if you just drive on normal road it should be fine
Old 03-24-05, 01:52 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

their is no degrading of ride quality with the toms stuff...if you are serious about perf tuning ride quality should never be a question.. they both cannot exisit within the same car or project...
Old 03-24-05, 04:25 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
their is no degrading of ride quality with the toms stuff...if you are serious about perf tuning ride quality should never be a question.. they both cannot exisit within the same car or project...
I disagree with the first statment but definitely agree on the second.

In order to have ride comfort, the car has to be able to give a little. This comes with the body flex. This is the opposite of what you want when you are focused on handling. I am qualifying this observation with the knowledge that the ride comfort degration of these braces is minimal. There is some but not to the extent of say smaller sidewalls, bigger wheels, and stiff sways. You will probably lose 20% comfort while gaining 80% handling. (The typical 80-20 rule )

You can't get something for nothing so people should mod the handling to their tolerances. If you cannot take the stiffer ride, then be ready for non-optimal handling (of course still better than stock ). If you go all out handling, then be prepared for the ride to not be so "Lexus-like".
Old 03-24-05, 06:26 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default PineGreen anyone feel free to ask away

Whenever I post feel free if you have a question, I might have the same question and while there is a thread on it then might as well ask. In some ways I wish i never found this forum (I stay here TOO LONG, I don't have time for this. but I get lots of answers here so there is a trade off )
Anyway Lets see what I need. I have the TRD underthing I think that the lexus-parts one is selling for $129 closeouts, what other TOMS stuff can I get to go with it to make the car handle well. The 6 piece rear, maybe the toms tower and that should be fine? or what do you think?
Old 03-24-05, 06:30 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
I disagree with the first statment but definitely agree on the second.

In order to have ride comfort, the car has to be able to give a little. This comes with the body flex. This is the opposite of what you want when you are focused on handling. I am qualifying this observation with the knowledge that the ride comfort degration of these braces is minimal. There is some but not to the extent of say smaller sidewalls, bigger wheels, and stiff sways. You will probably lose 20% comfort while gaining 80% handling. (The typical 80-20 rule )

You can't get something for nothing so people should mod the handling to their tolerances. If you cannot take the stiffer ride, then be ready for non-optimal handling (of course still better than stock ). If you go all out handling, then be prepared for the ride to not be so "Lexus-like".
chris

i disagree

the toms 6 piece links only prevent distortion of the subframe within itself during hard cornering or heavy acceleration.. ride comfort equates to a up and down motion , nothing to do with movement in the subframe

the toms rear lower control brace prevents the entire subframe assembly again from twisting / distorting under heavy loads

again nothing to do with susp travel or straight line driving or the ability to absorb bumps etc

when i added my pieces i watched with a keen eye for any changes and their was no change in ride behavior other then rear end planting itself
Old 03-24-05, 07:08 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Suppose that all I care about is like taking a turn (big turn thing when you get off or on to an adjoing free way at like 70mph and don't want to feel the car lift up, do I have to do all those mods or just a good rear strut brace should do the work?
Old 03-24-05, 07:09 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Default underbody brace vs tower brace

If you have one of these do you need the other? and do they compliment themsevles etc> Like what does the toms tower do and what does the TRD underbrace do? I got the TRD installed and can't even see it is there. ( it was dark though)

Quick Reply: Which site has Tom's rear strut brace 6 piece etc