Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Faint 'popping' sound from rear of car (underneath)

Old 03-09-05, 03:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Faint 'popping' sound from rear of car (underneath)

I can almost ALWAYS recreate it by accelerating gradually to 5-10mph and then goosing the gas a little (nowhere near floored, but moderate acceleration). As soon as I goose the gas I hear a muffled popping noise coming from what sounds like the rear suspension area.

Likewise if I go over certain uneven bumps at any rate of speed, hit an uneven patch of road while making a turn, or go up or down a driveway or any other sort of incline, I hear the sound- sometimes loud, sometimes barely there. Sometimes it's several quick bit relatively quiet 'pops' in a row. Sometimes I'd almost describe it as more of a knocking sound. But definitely like something it loose.

Anyhow... is this a bad strut? Maybe one of my chassis braces needing to be tightened? A loose brake caliper? Or what?

I thought it might be my sway bar because I hear a similar noise at one point with my sways, took it in, and they said one of the sway bar bolts had come loose. But now I'm back to factory sway bars and even had lexus specifically install the OEM bars exactly to factory spec. So I'm not sure why it's doing this. I'm considering bringing it back in and hoping they'll diagnose it for free and fix it for free if it ends up being the sways since they just installed them a few weeks ago. But if it's not the sway bars, I'd like to know what it is before I go in.

It does sound somewhat like a strut, but it doesn't happen under the circumstances I most often tend to hear strut noise (even impact on a speed bump, any rough roads, etc, etc)