Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

steering rack bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 11:30 PM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by indypwr
i get this "dead" steer everytime i turn....u know what i mean?
i turn the wheel slight degrees and the car does not turn. there is a "dead" spot in between
when turning both left and right...........it sucks and "dangerous"!!!
i currently have this, did you fix it??? how???
Old 05-08-12, 11:31 PM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Streamline
I'm currently experiencing the same problem. The top of the steering wheel will end up at roughly the 10 and 2 o'clock position before any real "turning" is experienced.

Have you had a diagnosis on what the problem is?

I am suspecting it is one of two issues.

1) The steering rack itself is going bad.
2) The power steering pump is leaking (which is the case w/ my car). HOWEVER...I don't think this is truly the problem as steering is fine. It is not like the "power steering" is on and off.

Any ideas?
how did you fix it?? i have this =(
Old 05-10-12, 02:55 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

^ It's your steering rack bushings. Replace them.
Old 05-10-12, 11:20 PM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
^ It's your steering rack bushings. Replace them.
omg im so thankful its them and not the rack. this is how i realized it was the bushings. i went under with my camera and my brother was turning the wheel, i saw a slight movement, and was like hmm.. so my brother got the actual wheel and tried turning it with his hand and the WHOLE rack just shifted about 3 inches LMFAO. i told em to shift it back though lmfao. so yea i shall replace this ASAP.

to get it straight, i buy the main grommet from the toyota dealership or lexus dealership and the rest i buy online?? or can i just buy all online or all at the dealership? i was told to purchase polyurethane ones because they stiffen up your suspension? is this accurate? if so wheere can i get some?
Old 01-02-15, 02:11 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Sorry to be bringing back an old thread but i'm in need of the bushings. Does anybody know where i can get these bushings from? I've searched for andrewvlamos.com and vftbushes.com but the links don't work.
Old 01-02-15, 03:57 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

You can get them from battle version, figs engineering.
Old 01-11-15, 10:25 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by LexGX
Sorry to be bringing back an old thread but i'm in need of the bushings. Does anybody know where i can get these bushings from? I've searched for andrewvlamos.com and vftbushes.com but the links don't work.
Amazon has the
Daizen Sport Tuning S1-2030 Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushing Kit 92-00 SC300 SC400
by Daizen Sport Tuning
Old 01-12-15, 03:19 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I bought the Daizen rack bushing kit in 2010 or 2011. Very good quality but that company is known to have supply issues from time to time. I lucked out with them when I ordered. Best to call them directly to verify you can get the parts you're planning to order or call the distributor/reseller you're buying the Daizen parts from to make sure they actually have them in stock.

The newer alternative kits mentioned are new to me but I'm sure they're good as well. The steering rack bushings are not complicated products.
Old 01-12-15, 10:06 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I bought the Daizen rack bushing kit in 2010 or 2011. Very good quality but that company is known to have supply issues from time to time. I lucked out with them when I ordered. Best to call them directly to verify you can get the parts you're planning to order or call the distributor/reseller you're buying the Daizen parts from to make sure they actually have them in stock.

The newer alternative kits mentioned are new to me but I'm sure they're good as well. The steering rack bushings are not complicated products.
I'm ordering the Daizen kit soon. How have they held up for you? I've read somewhere that the Daizens dont last very long. This is one of those jobs I'm hoping to only have to do once lol.
Old 01-14-15, 06:49 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got new Diazen bushings, but have to get my oil leak fixed before they go in.
Old 01-15-15, 10:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I did daizens but I would consider doing solid next time. I mean the rack really does not need to have play in it at all, there is play on the tie rods etc.. I would just go with the aluminum next time but the Daizens seem to be holding up just fine. If you can get a pair anymore that is they are pretty flaky as a company.
Old 04-06-22, 04:44 PM
MrReeves99
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A word of caution: there are two kinds of replacement bushings for the steering rack, the kind that separate in the middle and the kind that doesn't, which needs to be pressed in by a hydraulic press or something similar. That's the kind that Rockauto and Autozone carries for the '96 es300, and the kind I bought. they look like this:

I don't recommend attempting this with the rack still on the car. After futilely pushing on it for a half hour, I realized I needed to use a clamp or something, but a C clamp obviously won't fit in the space. So, instead I used a 5 1/2" hex bolt and nut to press it in

unfortunately, for whatever reason, when you get to the final 2mm or so, instead of pressing all the way in, the bolt gets stuck, and is very difficult to separate if you over-tighten it. I ended up pushing on the wrench from underneath with a big breaker bar holding the other end in place. On top of that, 5 1/2" was just slightly too long to remove again once the bushing was pressed in, so I had to cut it in half with a hacksaw. The extra bit of rubber sticking out didn't make seating it in the rack again very easy, either. I did finally get it all reassembled, though, and the steering is tight, and the vibrations are minimal.

Buying the wrong type of replacement bushing quickly turned this from a 1-2 hour job into a 2 day ordeal.