Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in having LS400 brakes on your 2nd Gen GS?
Yes, because it would be cheaper!!
55.56%
Yes, because I like the way LS400 brakes look.
22.22%
No, I still like Supra TT brakes better.
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-13, 05:21 AM
milehighGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done the swap as well (3 days ago). No RCAs...rebuilt calipers myself(easy)....improvement in brake feel......they work for me.
Old 01-17-13, 09:31 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

After seeing this I am abandoning any plans to upgrade my brakes ;-)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-top-gear.html
Old 04-02-13, 05:59 PM
Bad99GS400
Driver School Candidate

This thread has been hilarious and very informative. thank you all for the great input!
Old 06-22-13, 12:05 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

If anybody is interested in this upgrade for the reduction in unsprung weight and not just how cheap it is, Racing Brake will produce a 2-Piece slotted rotor for the LS400 caliper if they can get 10 committed orders.

Check out the group buy courtesy of Figs

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ml#post8002845
Old 07-02-13, 05:59 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

those that rebuilt the calipers themselves, did you crack the caliper in half to get the pistons out? or were you able to keep the whole thing together? is the caliper just held together with bolts? do i have to worry about any seals when putting the two halves back together?

trying to get all the parts ordered so they arrive at about the same time to do everything...
Old 07-15-13, 05:40 PM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Use air to get the pistons out. It's a tad tricky, but not difficult by ant means. I personally split mine as I wanted to clean them right up. I used a wire brush, sandpaper and brake cleaner to prep them for a couple of coats of high temp paint. You need a few hot days out in the sun or a heat gun session or 2 in order to get the paint to cure with the high temp stuff. I cleaned the mating surfaces and used a combo of newspaper and masking tape to cover the parts I didn't want to be painted.
To undo the the 2 halves, you will need a good quality 1/2 inch torx bit and a large breaker bar along with a can of WD40 or similar. If you have a rattle gun, buy an impact torx if you can find one and it will make life even more easier. One caliper that I bought had been out in the elements for long time I think and one fasteners wouldn't budge. I ended up breaking it. Lucky for me, i was in Japan and bought another for about $30-!

Chris
Old 07-29-13, 09:19 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks... finally got everything out and cleaned up... this week ill be polishing up the face... hope to have some updated pics soon...

Name:  IMG_20130727_153300_099_zps3552a8da.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 09-01-13, 10:02 PM
Will_GS400
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Painted my LS calipers with silver caliper paint. Turned out well.

Painting my rotor hats black next. Can't stand the rusty hats.
Old 09-01-13, 10:52 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

looks good Will...
Old 09-06-13, 08:26 AM
JeiceLexus
Rookie

i have read this threat from page 1 to 24, very informative, i learned alot about LS400, GS300 and all other mentioned Lexus brakes, definitely makes me think twice IF i want to upgrade or not.

IMO, i would go with the TT calipers: 2 reasons - 2GS rear calipers are iron, so it's only fair to go with the iron front TT calipers - just my opinions and 2 the headache, just avoid all that RCA mentioned lowering the front on OEM springs, just because if you are planning to lower your GS300 on springs, you will be off Rear vs. Front.

And i must say, this took me awhile to read through but it was like a series of episodes LOL.

Very much fun and interesting, debative and repetitiveness.

I loved it and i want to thank everyone who gave their insight on every question asked in this thread.

thank you guys.
Old 09-06-13, 08:39 AM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeiceLexus
IMO, i would go with the TT calipers: 2 reasons - 2GS rear calipers are iron, so it's only fair to go with the iron front TT calipers - just my opinions and 2 the headache, just avoid all that RCA mentioned lowering the front on OEM springs, just because if you are planning to lower your GS300 on springs, you will be off Rear vs. Front.
Here's why I -wouldn't-, and I have personally done -both- swaps, albeit on a 1st gen GS300, not a 2nd Gen. The TT calipers cost a LOT more, and they weigh a LOT more.

I mean where can you take 65lbs off the FRONT of your car, and improve braking all on one shot?

Jeff
Old 09-07-13, 09:59 AM
JeiceLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtamulis
Here's why I -wouldn't-, and I have personally done -both- swaps, albeit on a 1st gen GS300, not a 2nd Gen. The TT calipers cost a LOT more, and they weigh a LOT more.

I mean where can you take 65lbs off the FRONT of your car, and improve braking all on one shot?

Jeff

Most definitely you are right.
My initial choice was to go with the LS400 because of those same reasons.
i would love to improve every performance while lowering weight .. anyone would, but as you know, not everything you want to do goes smoothly and as planned. We all bount to come accross something that we didn't expect. i wasn't expecting to use RCA for the 2GS, i'm just afraid my height will be off when i lower my car on springs (not coilovers) with the LS brakes and RCA's.

Good thought though ...

But that was just my opinion. i wish the LS brakes were bolt ons ... without any mods
Old 09-07-13, 02:59 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

just avoid all that RCA mentioned lowering the front on OEM springs, just because if you are planning to lower your GS300 on springs, you will be off Rear vs. Front.
Im on stock suspension with 18mm front RCAs for my LS400 calipers....no RCAs in the rear...and its minimal drop does NOT affect the overall look of the front vs rear. In fact, on stock suspension (without RCAs), the front has a larger wheel gap than the rear. I'll take pics later of my even stance now.

Pete
Old 09-07-13, 07:43 PM
JeiceLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by PHML
Im on stock suspension with 18mm front RCAs for my LS400 calipers....no RCAs in the rear...and its minimal drop does NOT affect the overall look of the front vs rear. In fact, on stock suspension (without RCAs), the front has a larger wheel gap than the rear. I'll take pics later of my even stance now.

Pete
Cool PHML, I would love to see the even stance pics
Old 09-11-13, 04:15 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool PHML, I would love to see the even stance pics
Running 18mm RCA kit up front for my LS400 calipers....no kit in the rear....stock suspension.

Quick Reply: LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!