Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in having LS400 brakes on your 2nd Gen GS?
Yes, because it would be cheaper!!
55.56%
Yes, because I like the way LS400 brakes look.
22.22%
No, I still like Supra TT brakes better.
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 12:01 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default rotors so effn heavy

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
Just got mine in today. In case anyone wants to know a total of two LS calipers with pads weighs in around 24-25lbs. So one caliper loaded with pads is right around 12lbs. Now I have to decide whether to powdercoat them or get them polished..hmm
The rotors are effn heavy.

I'm on my way to the LS400 brake upgrade too. I bought the Napa Ultra Premium rotor (ppl reference: Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors) DID I SAY HEAVY? it's heavy!!

Bought the Adaptive one brake pads

And finally waiting for the calipers... one side is shipping from Seattle WA and one is Fresno CA remanufactured by ATM.

The one part that is holding my progress is the frickn bolt. I have the 3/4 inch custom block and need to find out the length of the bolt+ 3/4.Anyone know what the lenght of the bolt is? +3/4 inches offset?

Once I know the length, next quest is to find the bolts. I used to know a wearhouse that sells bolts...just have to cruise around to jog my memory. They have every bolts made on earth. LOL. btw, it's in Sacramento and near folsom and power inn area.

this scka is heavy!
Old 01-18-09, 06:13 AM
pwesseler
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get the RCA from?
Old 01-18-09, 10:06 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I bought mine from CL member. You can buy it from exact motorsports.
Old 01-18-09, 10:42 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Question: Did you guys use the ls400 bolts or the gs400 bolts?

edit: GSteg to the recue again! Thanks. btw, I'm painting my calipers blue. I wanted baby blue but can't find it - G2 paint. Baby blue and millenium silver is heaven; better than orgasm.

Last edited by sam430; 01-18-09 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-18-09, 03:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

They're the same bolt.
Old 02-24-09, 05:57 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What color did everyone paint their LS400 calipers?
Old 06-18-09, 09:00 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

i read through the whole thread but not sure if i saw a response... it says that the OEM 17" wheels will work with a spacer.. do i even have a chance with OEM 16" with a spacer? or is the diameter too small?
Old 07-12-09, 09:31 PM
idrvgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was looking at upgrading my brakes... but the only question i have is, what did you guys end up doing with the rear brakes? did you guys upgrade to ls400 rear brakes, or left them stock?
Old 11-22-09, 04:17 PM
717motorin
Driver School Candidate

Also interested in what to do for the rear brakes? LS or 3GS and where to get the kit to make the 3GS rears fit?
Old 11-27-09, 09:40 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Default Brakes

Still no answer on performance and feel??

Reading through all 9 pages:
Supra calipers are the world's gift to short stopping distances, have a 3/10" larger OD rotor than the LS400 setup, but are 1/2 alum & 1/2 iron.

LS400 are all alum. and "pretty" and should be better than the Supra units because they are newer and all aluminum and from a heavier car. A little far fetched, but what the hey, it could be an argument.

So the real question is this. Has anyone driven their buddies car with LS calipers and their own with Supra calipers or something like that, hopefully with similar pads, recent bleed, both on ss lines, etc.? I know that aligns planets, but surely...
Old 11-27-09, 09:52 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSSOM
Still no answer on performance and feel??

Reading through all 9 pages:
Supra calipers are the world's gift to short stopping distances, have a 3/10" larger OD rotor than the LS400 setup, but are 1/2 alum & 1/2 iron.

LS400 are all alum. and "pretty" and should be better than the Supra units because they are newer and all aluminum and from a heavier car. A little far fetched, but what the hey, it could be an argument.

So the real question is this. Has anyone driven their buddies car with LS calipers and their own with Supra calipers or something like that, hopefully with similar pads, recent bleed, both on ss lines, etc.? I know that aligns planets, but surely...
you posted that thread a few hours ago. and what is "lexus feel"?

Also short stopping distance with JZA80 calipers?
I thought the brake booster was the determinant of this.

GS braking distance isn't bad. and I think you're assuming way too many variables.
Old 11-29-09, 08:20 PM
RUSSOM
Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
you posted that thread a few hours ago. and what is "lexus feel"?

Also short stopping distance with JZA80 calipers?
I thought the brake booster was the determinant of this.

GS braking distance isn't bad. and I think you're assuming way too many variables.
Yeah, kept searching, and no definitive answers, not a bad thing, if nobody knows then I'd rather not read a reply just because it felt good to type something, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with some objective info.

"lexus feel" = soft pedal

Sounds like you're on the way to answering this one. So is it a hydraulic mismatch with either of those calipers? Is the GS master just too large for the LS or Supra calipers?

Not bad sure, but they just eat through rotors. IIRC the 60-0 with these cars was respectable, but doing that on occasion vs. driving the car like a sports sedan on a regular basis and there is just isn't enough rotor mass there. Beyond that the calipers are heavy and retain more heat, at least compared to the LS caliper, so instead of just replacing the GS pads/rotors again I could spend another $200-$300 and do a Supra or LS swap instead.

Lets hear it
Old 11-30-09, 10:39 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just do the swap, I did the LS swap and im very happy with it. I chose the LS over supra because to me the LS looked better Lol its blinged out now.
Old 11-30-09, 04:01 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think many people drive their gs hard enough to be asking questions about how the stopping distance is and how much better is it than the supra brakes etc its just not necessary for real world driving. I did them on my car for looks and performance, but only because I enjoy my car from time to time and I have used them on several occasions slowing down from 120. Imo they look better..perform better (no test numbers)..and are lighter than stock gs brakes. I am using lexus pads/rotors and ss brake lines with no complaints.
Old 11-30-09, 07:18 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSSOM
Yeah, kept searching, and no definitive answers, not a bad thing, if nobody knows then I'd rather not read a reply just because it felt good to type something, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with some objective info.

"lexus feel" = soft pedal

Sounds like you're on the way to answering this one. So is it a hydraulic mismatch with either of those calipers? Is the GS master just too large for the LS or Supra calipers?

Not bad sure, but they just eat through rotors. IIRC the 60-0 with these cars was respectable, but doing that on occasion vs. driving the car like a sports sedan on a regular basis and there is just isn't enough rotor mass there. Beyond that the calipers are heavy and retain more heat, at least compared to the LS caliper, so instead of just replacing the GS pads/rotors again I could spend another $200-$300 and do a Supra or LS swap instead.

Lets hear it
I can't tell you much on the Lexus feel but I would assume that's less with your car with braided lines? I'd say forget the feel. I think it will always be soft, but more linear.

The brake booster on the 98-00 are smaller compared to the 01-05. I know for a fact some people in Japan have swapped out their 98-00 for 01-05 brake boosters and noticed better brake feel. No measurements or numbers are reported as far as I know.

I have the JZA80 calipers with Rotora rotors and Project mu pads and I can say for sure driving is more fun and a very cost effective mod. As for stopping distance, I don't know. Most likely a minimal change if any but the initial grab is nothing like the stock brakes.

Either way, we're using the same caliper as the IS300 which weighs how much more less than our GSs ?

Quick Reply: LS400 brakes do fit 2nd Gen GS!!