Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

popping noise when coming to a stop during braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-04, 11:17 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping noise when comming to a stop during braking

I hear a popping noise comming from the front left or front center area under the car 2 out of 5 times during the end of my braking. When i brake normally and slowly come to a complete stop i hear a popping sound right before im going to stop.

I tried to diagnose it further by seeing if it only occured during hard braking, soft braking ect. But it seams to occur 2 out of 5 times during hard or normal braking. its wierd it doesnt happen every time. could my left caliper be messed up?. or perhaps the axles or something.

I also hear something loose in the same area sometimes when im driving over bumps. Perhaps that could be whats causing this but i have no clue what it could be. Any insights on this before i get under the car and check things out would be appreciated. BTW i got new brake pads and cross drilled slotted rotors and new tein basic coilovers over the past few months if that means anything..
Old 09-08-04, 12:16 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it may be your balljoints or bad bushings.
Old 09-12-04, 08:50 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

After driving with this noise for a few week. I noticed that it occurs most after i drive for more than an hour. It will happen 80% of the time at the end of my braking no matter how hard i brake or how soft i brakeThe popping noise sounds like a piece of metal breaking off or popping out of place or something. Usually if i just start the car in the morning and drive around for a half an hour or so i will not hear the noise at all maybe only 20% of the time.

I've when to my mechanic to diagnose the problem and he checked to see if everything was good and stable under the car and he discovered my sway bar endlink on the drivers side where the noise is comming from is no good. It has freeplay and you can wiggle it around. I'm not sure if that will fix my issue as it sound like it may be something else but hopefully thats it.

so I'm thinking it has something to do with a part that is affected by heat or continued use(perhaps the caliper?). As it seams to occur more frequently and almost every time when i brake when the car has been on the road for 1-2 hours or more.
Old 09-12-04, 05:46 PM
BCSC300
Rookie

I had the same exact popping noise come from my car ; really only happened when i applyed the brakes.

I replaced the front calipers and noise went away.
Old 09-12-04, 09:45 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Originally posted by BCSC300
I had the same exact popping noise come from my car ; really only happened when i applyed the brakes.

I replaced the front calipers and noise went away.
thanks for the info I suspected it may be the cause. But I would think it would happen every time i brake if it was the calipers. But perhaps my calipers only work correctly half of the time. I'll probably replace them and see what happend since i have a extra set laying around in my garage anyway
Old 09-18-04, 12:27 AM
PROMETHEUS
Driver School Candidate

Mine was doing the same thing, i just had the whole front chassis tightened , and no more popping noise. try it first its cheap and i bet it will fix your problem.
Old 09-18-04, 12:52 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Originally posted by PROMETHEUS
Mine was doing the same thing, i just had the whole front chassis tightened , and no more popping noise. try it first its cheap and i bet it will fix your problem.
what items did they tighten? im guessing front struts, all sway bar bolts? what else is there?
Old 09-19-04, 10:44 PM
PROMETHEUS
Driver School Candidate

not the suspension the chassis
Old 09-20-04, 01:08 AM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

Originally posted by PROMETHEUS
not the suspension the chassis
can you further explain how you tighten the chassis? can i do this on my own?
Old 09-20-04, 12:14 PM
PROMETHEUS
Driver School Candidate

the car has to be on the lift, so unless you have one no, and just tell your mechanic to tighten the chassis, if he doesnt know what that means i suggest getting another mechanic
Old 09-29-17, 05:41 AM
Jimmyshow
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation IT's your SHIMS!

Spacing issues between oem brake pads and warped shims caused loose contact with the calipers.. This problem is seen in alot of Toyota and Lexus cars according to my mechanic.
Fix was New SHIMS, SHIM FITTING KIT, AND SLIDE PINS.