Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who else has replaced front control arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 12:49 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Who else has replaced front control arms?

I did a search on this, but didn't find a thread that addressed this specifically.

About two weeks ago, I started to notice a subtle noise from the front of the car over subtle up & down movements. This has grown into a full-blown rattle from both left & right sides of the car. It is quite audible at low speeds over any type of irregular surface, bricks, speed bumps, anything that causes the suspension to move up & down. Strangely, the noise goes away under braking- I'll get to that in a minute.

I went to the Lexus dealer parts counter to get a better idea of what was going on. You'd be surprised at how sharp some of these parts guys are. Since they work with their in-house techs and the general public, the often are aware of frequently replaced parts. I described the noise to the parts guy, and he sugggested inspecting the control arms, as they frequently replace these on higher mileage cars. In fact, he said they STOCK these parts for the 98 & 99 GSs, as they used them often.

I went home and began to inspect. What I found was that the longitudinal control arms (they locate the suspension fore & aft, and run rearward from the main lower control arms) are bushed at the body and are bolted directly to the lateral (main) control arm. I used a mirror to inspect the bushed side of the control arm (I will call it the "caster arm"). The rubber was cracked and deteriorated, and I could actually see through part of both bushings.

This somewhat confirmed my suspicion about the lack of noise under braking. My theory is, under braking, the brake torque cpushed on the arm and compresses these these bushings enough to re-engage the torn rubber and eliminate the vibration that creates the rattle. But I could be wrong...

I went back to the dealer and asked to look at the relacement arms. Apparently, the 2000 cars have a different part number, which they did not have in stock. He did have the '98-'99 arms. The bushing do have a recessed area molded into the busings, but you cannot see through them. I ordered the 2000 caster control arms.

Apparently, they typically replace the main lower control arms fairly frequently. I suspect this is more ball joint-related, as my main control arm bushings appeared to be in good shape.

I just wanted to know if any of you have replaced all or some of these control arms...
Advice? Thoughts?

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 08-30-04 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-30-04, 11:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

bob, you are totally correct on your analysis, and yes, in order to change the stock bushings, you hav eto change the whole control arm coz' lexus they don't sell the bushings alone

bob, can you find a time where we can talk directly? i have some information about the control arm that i can tell you. please HOLD on your control arm purchase, there are something much better for you. please contact me privately and we will discuss.
Old 09-08-04, 05:39 AM
BLW
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?

My bushings are failing, what is the better option that is available? Hopefully it's something you can share out loud, if not, a PM is welcomed.

Thanks
Old 09-08-04, 09:37 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: ?

Originally posted by BLW
My bushings are failing, what is the better option that is available? Hopefully it's something you can share out loud, if not, a PM is welcomed.

Thanks
Check your PM.

Last edited by Neo; 09-08-04 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-09-04, 09:34 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

How about a pm for me on this secret fix.
Old 09-09-04, 09:52 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

lil off topic but do any of you guys have a diagram of our front suspension?
Old 09-09-04, 06:26 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i want to know how to fix also. thanks
Old 09-13-04, 07:48 PM
ratLh8r
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Who else has replaced front control arms?

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
I started to notice a subtle noise from the front of the car over subtle up & down movements.
I'm hearing a soft 'clunking' noise at slow speed over uneven pavement - perhaps similar to what you were hearing. The dealer service manager drove with me, and indicated "sounds like sway bar bushings are dry". I left the car with them - the service reciept indicates "retourqed front stabilizer bolts".

After two days, the sound is back... Can this be the same issue? If so, is this 'secret' fix applicable to 2001?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-04, 08:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not sure exactly what rominl was referring to but I am only guessing that it is this:

http://www.daizensporttuning.com/pro..._bushings.html

It is not a "secret" fix, just a more economical way to deal with worn out bushings without buying the whole control arm from Lexus. Install will still be costly but at least the parts won't. If your situation is not related to the arm/bushing then this fix, secret or not, won't help you.

The only reason it was deemed a "secret" is that Daizen has not officially announced that it is ready for release on the GS. No one wanted to say it is available until it actually is. I do know that it is being tested on a GS right now (not mine ).

If I am wrong in terms of what rominl was talking about, I'm sure he will correct it when he comes back from vacation.
Old 09-13-04, 08:58 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

I might have the same issue. I hear the noise coming from my front passenger side. It sounds more like jiggling keys when the car is rolling over uneven payment at 15-40 mph. I am not sure if it is my brake pads, because it's due for a change. I am going to do that first and if it doesn't fix the problem, I will look into the Daizen bushing kit.
Old 09-14-04, 05:40 PM
ratLh8r
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Neo
It is not a "secret" fix, just a more economical way to deal with worn out bushings without buying the whole control arm from Lexus.
I'm still under warranty. I think I should insist they check the bushings. I kind of feel like they gave me the runaround - I'm sure they know what it is.

Tomorrow I will crawl under the car and check it out...
Old 09-17-04, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by ratLh8r
I'm still under warranty. I think I should insist they check the bushings. I kind of feel like they gave me the runaround - I'm sure they know what it is.

Tomorrow I will crawl under the car and check it out...
well see, you can tell them to check it, but it's not going to be a permanent fix. if it's really teh bushings, so what? ask them to replace the bad ones with new rubber ones from toyota? that would make you happy for anotehr while and it comes back again
Old 09-17-04, 01:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i didn't say much about the product coz' it's still not 100% done and i don't want to just throw out rocks. as far as i know the control arm bushing is pretty much done and test results look very positive. i will just stop there without giving too much hope. don't ask me where to buy and stuff, it's not up for sale yet as far as i know. but i hope it's available soon

hell, i need the first set on my car!
Old 11-21-04, 06:53 AM
Petergun1
Driver School Candidate

Default Control Arm Bushings

I ordered the control arm bushings from Daizen Sport Tuning for my 1992 LS400, but the parts have been backordered. Has anyone else experienced this? If you did, were the parts available in a reasonable period?

I am trying to decide whether to wait for Daizen to fill the backorder, or order directly from Lexus or another supplier. Is there another source?
Old 11-21-04, 11:52 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Control Arm Bushings

Originally posted by Petergun1
I ordered the control arm bushings from Daizen Sport Tuning for my 1992 LS400, but the parts have been backordered. Has anyone else experienced this? If you did, were the parts available in a reasonable period?

I am trying to decide whether to wait for Daizen to fill the backorder, or order directly from Lexus or another supplier. Is there another source?
Has anyone else had experience with the VFT bushes by Andrew Vlamos?

VFT Bushes

Found him to be excellent to deal with and product of very high quality

Restored my high mileage SC to like new ride and handling

Quick Reply: Who else has replaced front control arms