Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

4 months later - Impressions of StopTech BBK

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 07:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default 4 months later - Impressions of StopTech BBK

I have had my 355 mm (14 inch) StopTech Brakes on for four months now, so I thought it would be a good time to write an evaluation of them.

Other than the bedding-in procedure, I have not had an opportunity to "really" put the brakes through its paces - just regular stop and go driving in the city and a little on the highway.

I did not test the stopping distances before the BBK brake install or after so I don't have any numbers to indicate if the StopTechs stop the car in a shorter distance compared to the OEM brakes. Theoretically they should since there is greater rotor and pad area in the front. I am not an engineer and my comments don't really carry any weight in that regard.

I also replaced the rear brake lines with Stainless Steel braided lines.

The most important feedback I can give is the brake feel. Needless to say the brakes feel absolutely awesome! When you touch the brakes, the feel is very linear and firm. The brakes are not "overly" sensitive. Easy to modulate. It feels as if when I apply the brakes a parachute has opened up behind me - the car just STOPS!!

Would I do this upgrade again if I could go back in time? Absolutely!

Does it make the car stop in a shorter distance? I don't know.

Awesome brake feel, needless to say awesome looks as well. Whenever I am stopped at a light drivers or passengers to my left or right always seem to focus on the brakes and then the rest of the car. My wheels are a very "open" style and the brakes are very visible.

One thing I have noticed (and I don't think this has anything to do with the brakes themselves), is that say I have come to a stop at a light, then the light changes and I let go of the brakes, there is a very imperceptible but noticeable sensation as if the brake pads were stuck to the rotor and suddenly they let go. In other words the feeling of the car moving off from a dead stop is not 100% smooth.

My brother-in-law who fixes MB's for a living noticed this first. (I did not notice it really, till after he pointed it out). To him it feels as if some bushing in the suspension (or other part of the car that connects the car to the wheels) is loose or worn - hence that slight jerk when the brakes are let go. Not sure what it is. I will get it looked at one of these days when Desmond (my Lexus mechanic) can schedule some time to install my EDFC. Hopefully before the end of August.

Last edited by Hameed; 08-16-04 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-16-04, 08:55 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car gets that same feeling from dead stop. Let me know what it is when you find out. Thanks
Old 08-16-04, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

good review hameed and for the record, damn, use your brakes to where it's supposed to be. hard brakes!
Old 08-16-04, 04:57 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-16-04, 05:06 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
good review hameed and for the record, damn, use your brakes to where it's supposed to be. hard brakes!
Most of the time I drive like a granny!
Old 08-16-04, 07:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Hameed
Most of the time I drive like a granny!
want me to take a poll on who actaully believes you?
Old 08-16-04, 10:59 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Rom said, you need to get out and work those brakes more!

As for your sticky brake problem, I don't have it so don't think it's the brakes themselves.
Old 08-16-04, 11:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 4 months later - Impressions of StopTech BBK

Originally posted by Hameed
One thing I have noticed (and I don't think this has anything to do with the brakes themselves), is that say I have come to a stop at a light, then the light changes and I let go of the brakes, there is a very imperceptible but noticeable sensation as if the brake pads were stuck to the rotor and suddenly they let go. In other words the feeling of the car moving off from a dead stop is not 100% smooth.
I have not really noticed this. Either that or it is not enough to bother me. I'll check the next few times I'm out and let you know.
Old 08-17-04, 01:20 PM
LexFather

Solid review!
Old 08-17-04, 08:11 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!

btw, to the people with 355mm rotors and 6pot calipers...
any problems with the brake cylinder?

I heard that several Aristo owners in Hong Kong needed an uprated brake cylinder after they upgraded their brakes. Not sure if this is a typical Aristo or typical Hong Kong problem (short trips, a lot of city braking, ...)
Old 08-17-04, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i have no problem with my ap racing at all.

what problem do they have with master cylinder? leak?