Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake upgrade options with stock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 05:22 AM
altaf
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake upgrade options with stock wheels

What are my options for a brake upgrade with stock 16" wheels (Platinum Edition)? I need to use the stock wheels during the winter months. For those who swap to stock wheels during the winter months, do you revert to stock brakes?

I've got almost 45,000 miles on my GS and I'm hearing a tiny squeal when braking. I've never changed the brake pads or rotors, so I figure it's probably time do to that. I’d rather do the brake upgrade now if I need new brakes rather then spending on brakes twice.
Old 08-09-04, 10:57 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You obviously know you cannot do BBKs.

So pads and SS lines are the upgrades. You can check with the tech to see how your rotors are doing. You can either turn them to save $ or buy new ones. You can stay with stock or go with aftermarket stock sizes, or aftermarket stock size slotted/drilled/slotted and drilled rotors depending on the look you want.
Old 08-09-04, 11:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

As Neo says, upgraded pads and stainless steel lines are the biggest improvement.

Another advantage to the aftermarket rotors (the drilling/slotting is more for looks than performance IMO) is that you can get them plated with cadmium or other materials (many come that way) so that it inhibits the nasty rust on the rotor hat.

If you're going to to some track or more spirited driving, get some upgraded fluid like ATE Super Blue or Motul. Either one has a higher boiling point than OEM.

While the wheels are off, paint your calipers too (cosmetic upgrade)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-09-04 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-09-04, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree with neo and dave. with the 17s you can still do something about bbk but with 16s you have absolutely NO room for ANY bbk.

your only option would be pads, rotors, ss lines, brake fluids
Old 08-10-04, 03:50 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default X-drilled rotors?

I am interested in just this sort of upgrade as well. Better pads, SS lines, and paint for the calipers as mentioned. I wonder why noone suggests powder-coating for the calipers. Could it be the cost ($90/caliper) and the time in the shop (up to 3 weeks). But the look and the job quality should be excellent. Now, about those rotors, any suggestions for OEM direct replacement with X-drilled rotors? Brembo, or the ones used by Stop Tech (another Italian maker , name escapes me) . These seem to be in the $100/rotor range. Anyone have any feedback on the stuff carried on ebay? Better prices but hey, these are BRAKES we're talking about. Wouldn't want to take any chances on safety just to save a few bucks.

I should mention I am currently riding on 16" stock rims and don't plan on going any bigger than 17" in the future.

Last edited by DetMich1; 08-10-04 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-10-04, 05:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: X-drilled rotors?

Originally posted by DetMich1
I am interested in just this sort of upgrade as well. Better pads, SS lines, and paint for the calipers as mentioned. I wonder why noone suggests powder-coating for the calipers. Could it be the cost ($90/caliper) and the time in the shop (up to 3 weeks). But the look and the job quality should be excellent. Now, about those rotors, any suggestions for OEM direct replacement with X-drilled rotors? Brembo, or the ones used by Stop Tech (another Italian maker , name escapes me) . These seem to be in the $100/rotor range. Anyone have any feedback on the stuff carried on ebay? Better prices but hey, these are BRAKES we're talking about. Wouldn't want to take any chances on safety just to save a few bucks.

I should mention I am currently riding on 16" stock rims and don't plan on going any bigger than 17" in the future.
Powder coating for the calipers is nice, but because of the heat you have to totally disassemble the caliper which is a PITA and IMO not worth it for stock calipers. So - add to the powdercoating cost brake rebuilding and you'll see why so many people use a quality epoxy caliper paint like G2 or other hi temp paints.

Other good rotor makers are Bradi and I-rotors off the top of my head. Don't go cheap, this is your stopping.
Old 08-10-04, 06:09 AM
altaf
Pole Position

I thought this was the case but wanted to be sure . Tirerack has a few Brembo and EBC rotors that will fit the stock setup. Will these rotors perform better than the stock GS rotors? I doubt they will shorten stopping distance but what about brake feel and fade?
Old 08-10-04, 06:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by altaf
I thought this was the case but wanted to be sure . Tirerack has a few Brembo and EBC rotors that will fit the stock setup. Will these rotors perform better than the stock GS rotors? I doubt they will shorten stopping distance but what about brake feel and fade?
Rotors won't help at all for stopping distance, feel or fade for normal driving. There is some debate if the drilled / slotted cool more effectively in repetitive hard braking situations but unless you track your car you'll probably never need to participate in that debate. I'd personally still put them on purely for the cosmetic improvement and cool factor. plus getting rid of the rust on the rotor hats on the OEM rotors.

Brake feel will be helped somewhat by the stainless steel lines. Brake fade will be helped somewhat by the upgraded brake fluid.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-10-04 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-10-04, 07:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by altaf
rotors dont' make you stop better but it can be of better quality to withstand heat. i would get brembo blanks (good quality) and put some more aggressive pads, that would help the braking a bit. also if you want to get firmer feel, doing the ss line is what you need to do. nothing else, but get ss line. and with ss line, get better brake fluids like the motul 600
Old 08-11-04, 06:02 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

hmmm... where can i go about getting ss lines?
EDIT: is the install fairly easy? i know draining the brake fluid will be needed.

Last edited by joshoowa; 08-11-04 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 10:02 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by joshoowa
hmmm... where can i go about getting ss lines?
EDIT: is the install fairly easy? i know draining the brake fluid will be needed.
Stop Tech has their own make of SS lines about $150 for all 4 wheels. They also have a very good tech article on brake line bleeding procedure--not rocket science just follow the instructions. Goodridge is another good brand carried by many suppliers including TM engineering and Tire Rack among others, just do a web search and you can shop around for price. You will need an assistant when you bleed the lines but it shouldn't be too hard. If you want to hire the work done, figure paying about 120-150 for the install.
Old 08-11-04, 04:08 PM
altaf
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll find out from the dealer how the brakes are doing. If I need some new rotors, I'll get the Brembo slotted with Hawk brake pads and SS brake lines. I couldn't find anything for the rear brakes on tirerack except for Brembo drilled (not slotted) which cost more than the fronts . Also didn't find rear brake pads that were not rated higher than OEM on tirerack.
Old 08-12-04, 10:21 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yah...im thinkin of doing this as my next mod.....drilled/slotted rotors, axxis m/m pads, and ss brake lines. Anyone know where to get a great deal on these? Or a seller willing to give a price break for multple set purchases?

Pete
Old 08-12-04, 05:10 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete,

Try www.irotor.com. I have ordered from them 3 times, the price is good and the service is even better.
Old 08-12-04, 08:35 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by PHML
Yah...im thinkin of doing this as my next mod.....drilled/slotted rotors, axxis m/m pads, and ss brake lines. Anyone know where to get a great deal on these? Or a seller willing to give a price break for multple set purchases?

Pete
try looking at this link, this is their ebay store , you can also contact them direct. For front rotors they use Brembo, have a heat resitant paint on the top hat and drill the rotors in their shop. Price is very competitive for a high quality rotor not a no-name off brand like some sell. For the rear they sell a matching rotor made by a canadian frim SR same paint treatment and drill pattern cost is $90 for the pair. Additional shipping if you add it to the order for the fronts is another $20 shipping on the first pair is $25. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33564

This is where I will be getting my rotors from.
I spoke with customer service at Stop Tech who sells another italian brand of rotor for their OEM direct replacement and then drills the holes in their shop. He conceded there was no apprecialble difference between Stop Techs and Brembo's at least in the OEM version. ST's go for about $220/pair in front and $192 in the rear. And since they are in CA they will have to charge those of us in the Golden State sales tax as well. Gotta keep Ahrnohld in shape with positive cash flow you know.

Last edited by DetMich1; 08-12-04 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade options with stock wheels