Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Toms parts whats first

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 04:48 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toms parts whats first

Heres the deal RMM has STB's on backorder untill whenever, so I can start to pick up my Toms stuff.

I wanted to know what everyones thoughts were on which pieces to get first and you knnow what order and maybe why.

Lower rear chasis brace
lower front chassis brace
6 piece rear suspension braces.

Heres another question maybe I can do two parts right off the back, if so which two?

Thanks
Old 07-30-04, 07:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

My order of preference for suspension mods (I know you have some of these already done to yours, Morris):

1) Springs & Shocks or Coilovers
2) Sway Bars
3) L-Tuned Steering ECU
4) Front Strut Tower Brace (STB)
5) Lower Front Chassis Brace (LCB)
6) Tom’s 6-Piece Suspension Brace Kit
7) Tom’s Rear Strut Tower Bar
8) Rear Lower Chassis Brace

So from your list... Front LCB, six link and then rear LCB
Old 07-30-04, 07:28 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks, I did want to do the STB next but I need the RMM since I am using the EDFC and like I said Rmm is out of the bars for now. So front lower controll brace it is.
Old 07-30-04, 10:55 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It also depends on how your car feels right now. Although I had L-Tuned S/S at the time (vs. your Flex), after I put on the TRD sways, the rear got a little unpredictable. as an example, there were a few freeway entrances that I drive going to/from work that I knew the limits of the car. The TRD sways made them flatter and I was able to go in at a little higher speed but I lost confidence in the rear.

I then got a decent deal on the TRD front LCB so I put that on. That only emphasized the rear problem more. Once I put on the Tom's rear LCB, the rear quieted down again.

If your car feels fine, then the front piece will help a bit to tighten the steering so starting with the front is fine. If your car's rear end is a little unstable, I'd get the rear piece first. Many have had good experience with both rear pieces (one at a time) so it does not seem to matter which one you start with.
Old 07-30-04, 10:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Neo,

My experience was just the opposite - I put the rear LCB on before I had the six link (but had sways, front stuff, springs/shocks and rear STB) and the back end felt 'loose'. Didn't like it at all until I put the six link on and it all came together.
Old 07-30-04, 11:20 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Neo,

My experience was just the opposite - I put the rear LCB on before I had the six link (but had sways, front stuff, springs/shocks and rear STB) and the back end felt 'loose'. Didn't like it at all until I put the six link on and it all came together.
I always like hearing about real experiences.

So how did hte car feel before you put on the rear LCB, meaning when you had fronts (I assume LCB and STB?)? When did you put on the rear STB? Same time?

I did not put my STBs on until after the lower pieces were in. (The front STB may have gone in before the 6-link, though but it does not change my sequence of events I outlined above.)
Old 07-30-04, 02:51 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the feedback. My rearend is very predictable sinnce I put the coilovers and sways on. In fact it feels like a different car alltogether. Before the coilovers it used to feel very squirelly in the back at any significant speed in hte curves. The rear always felt like it was going to come around or break loose at any time.
Old 07-30-04, 07:59 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno how you guys drive over there in the US but it's hard to break my rear end loose, even at high speed, at exit ramps, at sharp turns. Perhaps, it's part of my Aristo's 4-wheel steering or the wide 275 rubber in the back.

But, to be on topic, my most noticeable susp. upgrade was when I switched to my TRD race sways. It increases the cabin creaks significantly but the car handles like rails afterwards. Putting on the Tom's front LCB only adds more cabin noise but I don't notice any other handling betterment.

I also already had the TRD upper strutbar installed on the car when I bought it, so I couldn't really tell you what it felt like before it was installed.

I am still waiting for my Carbing (Do-Luck) floor chassis brace and my Tom's rear LCB to come in from Hongkong. I am also debating to purchase the TOM's ARS canceller (doesn't apply to your Lexus). Last on the list would be the 6-pc linkage, but after all the above installed, I hardly doubt that it's going to make much difference....
Old 07-31-04, 12:07 AM
04GS300
Pole Position

4 wheel steering???? huh???? really????
Old 07-31-04, 06:24 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

What I dont want to happen is I spend a grand on the bracing and then I dont see any change or significant improvement.. That wopuld be a 1/3 of what I need for my rims and tires.
Old 07-31-04, 06:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Morris,

You're welcome to go for a drive in mine up at the Dragon and try it out I've got pretty much the full set of available braces except for the Do-Luck brace (was told by a reliable source it didn't really help when I was about to purchase). My Bilstein coilovers will be a different than your Teins, but you should be able to get the idea.

I've got new tires on (Pirelli Pzero Nero) that ride great, but IMO don't grip nearly as well as my old Bridgestone S03s did. A little hinderance there.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-31-04 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-31-04, 07:06 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Thanks dave, I will definnitley keep that in mind. I was hoping to have this figured out by the dragon meet and have the bracing installed for it if I wound up going that way.

I wanted to be able to do a comparison from my expereince up there last month with out them and see how the same roads felt with them.

I guess I am concerned that with the coilovers and sways the effect of the bracing will be hard to notice. But it sounds like you went a similar route and still noticed a significant positive effecct.
Old 07-31-04, 07:48 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 04GS300
4 wheel steering???? huh???? really????
It's an Aristo thing....
Old 07-31-04, 08:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by morris

I guess I am concerned that with the coilovers and sways the effect of the bracing will be hard to notice. But it sounds like you went a similar route and still noticed a significant positive effecct.
Actually I did my coilovers last. I had all the bracing on with Eibach / Bilstein combo, then swapped out for coilovers a little less than a year ago.
Old 08-01-04, 04:39 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Well I decided, I am going to save up for the 19" rims, the toms will wait for now.

I saw some Axis wheels that are very reasonably priced, so worst case scenario I'll go with those. Best case I find someone sellinng 4K worht of rims for 2K in the classifieds.

Thanks eveybody the feedback really helped.