Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC300 bleeding brakes

Old 07-11-04, 10:09 AM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC300 bleeding brakes

I have a very soft brake response on my stock brakes, i have to press the brake pedal more than 1/4 of the way down before i can even feel the stock brakes kick in. I tried bleeding all four calipers but the problem does not seem to be improving. I did a search on this board and someone needed to also brake the abs acutuators? Do i need to bleed the abs system as well? if so, i would i go about doing so?
Old 07-11-04, 11:33 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are your pads in good shape?
Old 07-11-04, 03:29 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Default Re: SC300 bleeding brakes

Originally posted by Sleeper97
I have a very soft brake response on my stock brakes, i have to press the brake pedal more than 1/4 of the way down before i can even feel the stock brakes kick in. I tried bleeding all four calipers but the problem does not seem to be improving. I did a search on this board and someone needed to also brake the abs acutuators? Do i need to bleed the abs system as well? if so, i would i go about doing so?
This is not viable information when checking pedal firmness where your brakes begin to grab (it is subjective...) but what is your pedal reserve distance from the floor under spec foot pressure.
Check reserve distance and compare to specs first.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-11-04 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-11-04, 07:22 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

the brake pads are brand new oem, i replaced the brake pads thinking this would help, but it has not improved much. The car stops but the braking is kind of sluggish, I can slam on the brakes going 40mph and you feel it slowing down but not really stopping. My friend also has a sc300 and i have driven it, the brakes are a lot better then mine, and his car is a 93. I tried bleeding all 4 calipers but im thinking something else might need to be blead. Does anyone know how to bleed the ABS unit???
Old 07-11-04, 07:29 PM
lexsc3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

try checking all the caliper pins......if one is stuck them it will hurt brake preformance and feel alot.
Old 07-12-04, 05:51 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

calipers are working fine, caliper pistons are fine, none are frozen and all seem to be intact.
Old 07-12-04, 08:14 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

install the ls400 calipers, hopefully problem solved
Old 07-12-04, 08:35 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

i plan to hopefully the rotors come in by friday.
Old 01-17-08, 02:19 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same issue. I replaced all brake pads, front rotors, and bleed all 4 corners of the car and still the brake pedal is just as soft as it was before I did all this?? Its a 92 SC400 by the way. The car stops but you have to push really really hard, every other car I have evern driven stops with ease!

WHAT ELSE IS A COMMON CAUSE OF SOFT BRAKE PEDAL??
Old 01-17-08, 02:24 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
I have same issue. I replaced all brake pads, front rotors, and bleed all 4 corners of the car and still the brake pedal is just as soft as it was before I did all this?? Its a 92 SC400 by the way. The car stops but you have to push really really hard, every other car I have evern driven stops with ease!

WHAT ELSE IS A COMMON CAUSE OF SOFT BRAKE PEDAL??
Maybe still has air in the system and maybe your master cylinder is failing.
Old 01-17-08, 07:05 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a master cylinder and two sets of LS400 brake kits for sale(calipers, rotors, lines, pads, pins, and shim kit...all greased and lubes as of today)
Old 01-20-08, 02:31 PM
ucfa4
Lead Lap

You need to make sure when you bleed the line that you do it correctly. There must be absolutely no air bubbles in the line. Another thing that could be causing this is if there is a difference in size from your stock pads/ rotors or calipers. If you push on the brake it should not be spongey it should be firm and stop high above the floor. If it is spongey there is air in the line. If the brake slowly depresses all the way to the floor, your master cylinder o rings are bad.
Old 01-20-08, 02:47 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

^That is a great synopsis of exaclty what air in the system is all about, "spongey.^

You can install a completely new set of everything and if you're leaving air behind you'll be in the same boat. It would be good to have ruled out the master cylinder o-rings as well

When I have bleed air from the system I use a 32oz bottle of synthetic and run most of it through. Sequence is critical. Passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, drivers front in that order. Two people required. Using the normal hose into a sealed plastic receptor commonly available.
Old 01-20-08, 10:37 PM
rwdpwr
Rookie

my brakes are the same also. Feels like mush... it doesnt help when youre boosting the hell out of it either.. I was thinking maybe a bad brake booster could be the problem?
Old 06-06-12, 07:10 PM
Holland300
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same issues. Had LS400 brakes on worked good for a few days then started getting soft, bled the brakes like 4 time,. nothing changed so I put the stock back on bled the lines and it become a little better still not good as when first bought car....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC300 bleeding brakes