Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Disc Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 08:23 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default .

I pounded the hell out of mine and they wouldn’t come off. I finally sprayed some WD40 around the base of the studs and in some of the little holes. I came back an hour later and the rotor almost fell off.
Old 08-28-06, 03:05 PM
W4SIM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Great writeup.
Yeah tell me about it!

But yeah the bolts very rarely work so i never bother anymore.
Old 09-07-06, 06:45 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody have a picture of what a good e-brake shoe should look like? My e-brake doesn't seem to grab anything when I pull it, and it just makes a grinding noise. Although my car is an auto, I want my e-brake to work in case of emergency. I am familiar with replacing pads, but not shoes.
Old 09-07-06, 06:51 AM
W4SIM
Rookie

ChronoJ1

The shoes for these cars are not the easiest things to replace. I dont know how mechanically minded you are but i wouldnt try it at home.

I dont have a picture but even a brand new shoe only has material on it thats about 3-4mm deep. Doesnt look very much and to an untrained eye it would seem that the shoes are worn down. But on these cars the shoes are never used when braking, shoes are there just for parking the car.

So if it looks like you've got a couple of millimetres of meat left on them then the chances are that you just need to tighten up your e-brake.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-06, 11:55 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by W4SIM
ChronoJ1

The shoes for these cars are not the easiest things to replace. I dont know how mechanically minded you are but i wouldnt try it at home.

I dont have a picture but even a brand new shoe only has material on it thats about 3-4mm deep. Doesnt look very much and to an untrained eye it would seem that the shoes are worn down. But on these cars the shoes are never used when braking, shoes are there just for parking the car.

So if it looks like you've got a couple of millimetres of meat left on them then the chances are that you just need to tighten up your e-brake.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, W4SIM.

Sent you a PM.
Old 09-07-06, 01:14 PM
W4SIM
Rookie

Chronoj1

You've got a PM back mate.

And is that your car in your signature?
Old 09-30-06, 01:59 PM
*hybrid
Rookie

damn good writeup. CL rules...

who has the ClubLexus window decals for sale? i wanna promote it.
Old 02-26-09, 08:06 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just removed my original 14yr old rotors, that were rusty as hell.

5 yrs since he posted it, and I used W4SIM's method of using a spare tire jack in between the strut and rotor. All I had to do was turn the jack just a little until it applied pressure, then I spun the rotor and did the same thing on the other side, then I tapped it with a rubber mallet, and it gently came right off in my hand...no bang or nothing. It was a beautiful thing.

Thanks again, and this thread should be in your FAQ section btw
Old 02-27-09, 03:42 AM
W4SIM
Rookie

Originally Posted by RyanV
5 yrs since he posted it, and I used W4SIM's method of using a spare tire jack in between the strut and rotor.

5 years on and im glad this is still helping poeple out.

Its nice to be helpful when you can.
Old 02-27-09, 08:32 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

I had to pound the $*$&%*#)%&*$) out of my rotors to get them to come off, ESPECIALLY THE REAR!! Liquid Wrench was the only reason why they even came off though, the hammer was just tickling that damn thing.
Old 03-11-09, 08:27 AM
neodymium
Rookie

I figured I would just add another option to this thread for removing the disc. I placed a small, thick steel sheet/bar that I had handy on top of the centering hub and then used 2 C-clamps space 180 degrees from each other to pinch the disc and plate "together". This method evenly loads the disc so there is less of a possibility of wedging it-if that's a problem.

Last edited by neodymium; 03-11-09 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-03-09, 01:34 PM
Pezlo
Driver

just replaced mine today, was such a b1tch!! to do. Let them soak over night with wd40. didnt seem to do much. tried the hammer and car jack method. no luck. used some PB blaster and bought some 8 x 1.25 mm bolts to remove the stock rotors. worked like magic after i let the PB soakin for about 20 minutes. Didnt quiet get my ebrake to go 90 degrees but did get it about 80 degrees and when u turn that cog. It should click and kinda spring against your efforts of turning it down more. Hope this helps at.
Old 10-05-09, 07:57 AM
dizzyroc
Driver School Candidate

some of the holes in the rotor are meant to aid in removing the rotors. i believe there the size pezlo got. (8x1.25mm) screw those in to back out the rotor that way you dont have to wail on brakes like a caveman and risk breaking something.

its the same concept as using the jack but done properly
Old 10-05-09, 08:12 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i just turn the rotor and hot the edge with a hammer lightly all the way around and then it just slides off... im seeing some weird things here.. lol not saying its bad just things i had not seen before.
Old 10-05-09, 12:14 PM
W4SIM
Rookie

Originally Posted by dizzyroc
some of the holes in the rotor are meant to aid in removing the rotors. i believe there the size pezlo got. (8x1.25mm) screw those in to back out the rotor that way you dont have to wail on brakes like a caveman and risk breaking something.

its the same concept as using the jack but done properly
Like iv said before, using the 2 holes in the rotors is always the first course of action, as thats how Lexus ment for it to be done.

However, like myself, and a few others, these holes havnt worked out that way so we've had to find alternative measures.

This guide wasnt intended to show people how to take the rotors off the first time round, this was just an alternative should you happen to strip the 2 holes, or hammering them off doesnt work etc etc.