Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeal coming from passenger rear...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 08:53 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal coming from passenger rear...

I have been noticing lately a intermitent squeal coming from my passenger rear of my car. It doesnt happen all the time, and its not the squeal you get from applying the breaks. believe it or not, but the noise goes away when applying the brakes and comes right back after letting go. I was planning on checking out the rotors and pads on friday, but i decided to check out on here first to see if anyone had any prior experience. It doesnt sound like the noise you get from a bad bearing, its almost like if the edge of the pad was still making contact with the rotor while spinning. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. If worse comes to worse, ill just file down the edges and see if that does it.

Last edited by Stage3; 06-07-04 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-08-04, 05:01 AM
BLW
Driver

It sounds as if you need new brake pads. There is a metal tab on one of your pads that is rubbing on the rotor, It is designed to squeel when the pad has worn down to the same level as the tab. Have a look at your rear pads, and I would suspect that your fronts are getting close to needing replaced as well.
Old 06-08-04, 08:25 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a double take on the thread title, thought it read Squeal coming from rear passenger...
Old 06-08-04, 11:39 AM
BLW
Driver

Originally posted by redgs4
Did a double take on the thread title, thought it read Squeal coming from rear passenger...
That would be an interesting topic to discuss, LOL!!!!
Old 06-09-04, 08:25 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

the only thing about that is that when i bought the car in septmeber, it just had the brakes replaced. But I will check it out and see if thats whats causing it. Now remember, it doesnt happen all the time, and it goes away when i APPLY the brakes. Common logic would say that it would get worse if it was the brake pads being worn... but hey, this car has defied common logic before, so it wouldnt surprise me.
Old 06-09-04, 12:29 PM
BLW
Driver

Think of it this way. When the brakes are not being apllied, the brake cylinder is a little retracted, therefore there is no pressure of the brake cylinder against the pad, therefore no pressure of the pad against the rotor. The pad is kind of floating and moving a little with no pressure exerted on it. The pad can pitch a little bit until the edges tap the rotor. If the pad thickness is worn down close enough to the length of the wear sensor on the pad,but the thickness is greater than the length of the sensor, the metal sensor can still make contact with the rotor in this pitched position, causing the squeel. When the brakes are applied, the pad is pushed straight against the rotor (parallel) and the metal wear sensor does not make contact. When the pad thickness is equal to or less than the length of the sensor, the sensor will squeel when the brakes are applied as well as when they are not applied. Check your pads, you may have more wear than you think.
Old 06-09-04, 09:57 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

ah ha....well only time will tell what i see on friday. i dont know if the brakes are any diffrent than those found on current VW's... used to be a mehcanice on those, and they never shifted or anything. we shall see. thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-05, 02:50 PM
disc108
Lead Lap

Exclamation

i changed my rear pads about 500 miles ago and now there is a constant squeal that comes from the rear axle. i will be driving and will hear a constant high pitched squeal/whine coming from the rear axle area. I can step on the brakes the noise goes away--sometimes it goes away for 20 min. but other times i have to step on the brakes a few times and/or brake hard for the noise to go away. any ideas?
Old 06-23-08, 05:01 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wondering if anyone solved this issue by replacing the pads? My car started doing this today and it is F'N annoying. I don't have time to mess with it until this weekend but I just wanted to get some ideas as to what it might be. Pads seem plausable but this last post mention pads were recently changed and the squeal was present.

It's loud, obnoxious, annoying and embarrasing

I hope it is something as simple as a pad change though....

**edit - I can't confirm it's the rear though, I just know it's on the passenger side.

Last edited by Euphoric; 06-23-08 at 05:21 PM.