Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

for the suspenion folks

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 07:43 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default for the suspenion folks

okay , i think i have nailed the vibration/shimmy problem today

here goes, i ordered a new set of hard durameter bushings from trd of japan called trd technocraft.. the 1st and 2nd generation gs have the same basic suspenion setup... you have your lower control arm with a rubber bushing in there , it wears but not nearly as bad as the next piece i am going to mention...connected to end of the control arm right under or next to the lower ball joint is a arm that runs diagonally and mount s to the underbody which shares the mounting plate or the lower control brace...right at the mounting point their is a bushing mounted in there .. this arm is called your castor/stabiler arm which keeps the control arm from moving back and forth and sorta side to side.. i removed my arms today in my garage and closely inspected the integrity of the rubber and sure enough as i expected , stress cracked and torn and some what shredded which meant the castor (which we have no setting) as you drive would move in and out and depending on the road surface and wheel and tire setup would be worse then others... the vibration would be on today off tomm or on at 60 or so and another time almost no exsistence .. this is not a balancing or a direct alignment problem , its the castor arm ocilating within the bushing.. ask johnee78 , he was with me all day today helping me put the new arms back in.. those arms are easy to take out but hell to put back in and i have heavy duty ait tools..

anyway , got these new trd bushing to replace whats in the arms and found out today after removing one bushing from the old arm the new ones dont fit... ohh well would have been nice to have the hard durameter in their to absorb more enegery.. so since one arm was useless because oem does not sell bushings by them selves i bought 2 brand new arms .. after reinstalling and trqing every to spec , went for a drive doing my normal manuers and normal high speed runs and lane changes and would you believe car was smooth and tracked straight as a arrow. no vibration espically while heavy acceleration gouing through 50 to 60 to 75 to 90 very smooth .. i used to get a bad virbration after making big U truns for that would shift the angle of this arm , now because the new bushing is firm and the new oem actually looks better engineered then what came from factory its keeping castor in line and keeping the control arm from ocilating..

sorry for being so long winded but after talking with the techs at the dealer they crowded around and all concured that 75% of gs and is owners that come in complain about vibration and no balance seems to work.. to those who got balancing down and thought it went away most have it come back after a week or so the reason for that is when you jack the car up you change the angle of the arm within the bushing so it kinda self corrects but after you drive for a day a week or so make the wrong kinda of u turn or hit a rut and castor angle gets thrown off here comes the vibration again

guys take a flashlight and look at the bushing closely i bet 9 out 10 of you have bad bushings in there and with the larger wheels and tires it speeding up the degrading process

hope some of this helps
Old 05-13-04, 08:09 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexforlife
thanks a lot for sharing the info!! sounds like a very good $ spent! =)
Old 05-13-04, 08:23 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great info dude, it's awesome to read about someone doing good testing like this and sharing the results.

dare I ask what they want for the new arms?
Old 05-13-04, 08:39 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Way to go Ed. I'll have to find some time to look under there. So what's the damage ($)?
Old 05-13-04, 10:05 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS this what you are talking about? This item is a HKS kansai polyurethane item by the way...

closer look:

For a long time, i've been trying to figure out what these are, but this sounds a lot like what you are talking about, lex.
Old 05-14-04, 05:05 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
IS this what you are talking about? This item is a HKS kansai polyurethane item by the way...

closer look:

For a long time, i've been trying to figure out what these are, but this sounds a lot like what you are talking about, lex.
thanks guys and the price for new arms with bushings in there is between $100 to 140 per arm but if you goto dealer to install they will bang you for between 2-3.5 hrs book time .. its very easy to do

jtanyo , the arms in a v300 aristo are slightly larger then us version gs which is why the bushings trd sent me dont work .. can you beleieve that trd themselves would quote for our cars only to find out the opposite..

can you direct me to the websight from hks that shows this piece for guys , i am telling you if you dosconnect the 2 bolts that hold the arm to the lower control arm you can move the entire wheel and susp assembly front to back and side to side , this arm really is being overworked with keeping things together you would think a hard durameter rubber would have been used right out of the box but nooooo thats to easy
Old 05-14-04, 09:32 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

L4L- sometimes the true "Islander" in you come out, in the form of ur in depth tinkering!! I admire the fact that you are so thorough in your maintenece, maybe u should quit the airlines and open some sort of small shop, or go into business with someone, and I'm not joking either. You take pride in messing with cars man, you might as well capitalize on the talent
Old 05-14-04, 09:44 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: for the suspenion folks

Originally posted by lexforlife
ask johnee78 , he was with me all day today helping me put the new arms back in.. those arms are easy to take out but hell to put back in and i have heavy duty ait tools..
Originally posted by lexforlife
its very easy to do
So which is it Ed? Just messing w/you.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.
Old 05-14-04, 10:00 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Hi lexforlife,

Can you take a picture of what Control Arm is?

I have a bad vib only between 60-75....
Old 05-14-04, 10:16 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pics pics pics....plz.
Old 05-14-04, 12:04 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

are you talking about
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-04, 12:05 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

and this???

They minimized vibrations when strapping on the Lowenharts...but I'm under the speculation that these are only masking the true problem..... please verify
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-04, 12:18 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

those are hub centric rings..they keep your rims perfectly centered, but that doesn't fix what LFL is refering to..
Old 05-14-04, 01:03 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by DGOT20s
L4L- sometimes the true "Islander" in you come out, in the form of ur in depth tinkering!! I admire the fact that you are so thorough in your maintenece, maybe u should quit the airlines and open some sort of small shop, or go into business with someone, and I'm not joking either. You take pride in messing with cars man, you might as well capitalize on the talent

D , thanks for that compliment , and i do mean it sincerly... i say this because me and 2 others are seriously thinking of doing exactly what you just suggested (although would not leave my delta , i do that part time late at night for years the benefits including flying free is unreal)

my passion for cars is like a burning eternal burning flame , i just love being arounfd them and guys who love them as much like alsiverbullet,johnee78,bluelex,indio,reggiek,justis,freelance ,wayne,scoupra hell the list of my guys down here could go on but we all have one thing in common , we love cars and modding,, the only extra is i also love to do my own work for my ride and for my crew... love seeing the transformation take place

again D thanks many thanks and your message might be god sent , well i am off to jamaica in the morning for a few days(just smokin bro ) talk to you soon
Old 05-14-04, 01:35 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

heres a close up of the arm and bushing.. the arm is the one with some splattered mud on it at the end of it is the mounting point and the bushing is right in there.. when you inspect yours , take a flashlight closeup look for any stress cracks and discloration of the rubber , when rubber is stressed it tends to discolor ....

Quick Reply: for the suspenion folks