Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD STB- do I need to realign front end after loosening strut nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 07:07 AM
Billbosh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRD STB- do I need to realign front end after loosening strut nuts?

Hi fellow GS'ers:

I successfully installed my TRD front STB yesterday, but had to loosen nuts from one side to get the bar on.
See thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=118394

Do I need to realign my front end after the install??

Thanks,

Bill Boshnick
99 GS4
BBS RX 17's
WIN Corp Grille
TTE rear spoiler
TRD front STB
K&N CAI
Old 04-29-04, 07:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 196 Likes on 109 Posts

No, an alignment is not needed just because you loosened the nuts.

Technically, an alignment is needed when the suspension geometry is altered, such as lowering the car. Loosening the strut nuts will not alter the suspension geometry.
Old 04-29-04, 09:02 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

If you didn't jack up the car when you installed the STB (on a flat surface like a garage), then you're fine as the suspension components didn't shift. This is the proper method to do it, and you don't need to worry about re-aligning it.

However, in the unlikely event that you did jack up the car (either on 1 side or up on both wheels--i.e. you were doing other work on the car while doing the STB), took of the strut bolts to the strut tower and installed the STB, then you might have shifted the camber of your car. If so, I'd get it realigned.
Old 04-29-04, 09:18 AM
Billbosh
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I had to jack up the right side of the car with the nuts off to fit the bar on. I didn't remove the bolts/studs (on which the nuts are threaded) though. Do you think I need an alignment? I didn't notice any pulling.

I'm going to pick up a repaired bent rim today from the tire place, and may ask them to do an alignment, if you think it's necessary.

Right now we have 2 differing views on the topic
Thanks
Bill Boshnick
Old 04-29-04, 09:31 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

About 5 years back, my friend was putting on a STB on his Nissan Maxima, and he jacked up the R side of his car (for an oil change), and put on the STB while the car was jacked up and leaning. In any event, when he drove around town, he did get some pulling. I mentioned to him, why did you install it while your body was twisted a bit? He ended up relieving the twist on his car by loosening the strut bolts and retightening them--on a flat ground mind you.

Nonetheless, if I were you, I'd at least get the car on flat ground, loosen the mounting nuts to relieve any potential twist in the car's body, and retighten them. If you really don't get any real drivability issues, then I might just let it pass. But for piece of mind, I would personally would just let the shop check the alignment--some shops wont' charge you full price for just checking the alignment (it's worth a shot). My alignment shop will check the alignment, so long as it hasn't been 9000 miles since I last aligned it.

I know you've got a couple of points and potential countermeasures to consider. Good luck.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 04-29-04 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-29-04, 09:44 AM
Billbosh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip.
Actually, I slid the STB on the studs when the car was jacked on the right side, but installed and tightened the nuts after the car was lowered on level ground. I'll drive it around and see.
Thanks again,
Bill Boshnick
Old 04-29-04, 09:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you jacked up your car, and you feel some pull, do what SeattleGS400 said and see if that helps. usually stuff like this you don't need alignment