ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Suspension and Brakes (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes-32/)
-   -   Strut installation time (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/111435-strut-installation-time.html)

SC400-V8 02-23-04 05:07 PM

Strut installation time

I just got a set of 4 tokico struts and was horrified when my auto guy said the installation time for struts in a 92 SC400 is 4 hours for the fronts, 2 hours for the rears, at his labor rate of 59/hr im looking at about $400 to install the parts. (I think they go by the chilton's book time labor manual)

Is this right? How the hell does it take so long? It doesnt make sense, the rears i think should take more considering I think the rear seat back needs to be removed to get to the strut mount... but still not an hour each.

Total ripoff?

HotBoy 02-23-04 07:10 PM

yeah man with all the lifts and air tools I think that 6 hours is pretty hihgh. Get a second opinion man. PEACE

gadgetSC 02-23-04 07:16 PM

Changing the shocks on our cars does require alot of work, including removing the brake calipers for clearance. The shocks are also installed and removed with the springs as one assembly. The two are separated after removal. It does take time.

gadgetSC-t

SC400-V8 02-23-04 10:29 PM

Im having them machine the rotors and install new pads at the same time, so alot of the labor times can be combined and much cheaper this way. Im still going for a second opinion... 6 hours is an eternity in a good shop...

LexAnt 02-23-04 10:38 PM

6 hours? no way!!..... with my dad and his friend, we worked at his friend's work place, it only took bout 3 hours max. and the rear structs can be access to through the trunk just pull down that lining. i don't think you have to remove the caliper to get the struts/springs out. i kno we didn't have to. all we did was use a large crowbar like thing to help angle the lower control arm down and pulled the strut/springs out. replaced and put it back in, bolt in the strut and voila done.

RobSoVIP 02-24-04 06:13 AM

like lexant said, I did it with a bucnh of friends in my garage and it only took us about 3 hours of work (with a couple hours of screwing around...) I never had to remove my caliper. I did it with out air tools and it kind of sucked, but we have air out in my garage now, I bet we could do it in less that 3 hours. Its really not as hard as people make it out to be, just get some people who know whats going on with suspension stuff, it doesnt even have to be someone who has messed with a lexus before. After all, its just a Toyota design. :)

aliga 02-24-04 07:00 AM

dont pay more than 250 for the install of the shocks/struts

240_Keyy 02-25-04 09:05 AM

ok well I feel kinda like an idjit now. When I installed mine I actually took out all of the plastic stuff in the front of the car just like the manual says. I would say the actual install time for the struts themselves is about 2 hours in the front to R&R and 45 minutes to R&R the rear. However removing and reinstalling all that plastic crap took 2 and a half hours :thumbdn:

However, now that I think about it, you DO NOT have to remove the plastic to change the struts out, nor do you have to take off the brake caliper and stuff. I just remembered that I removed the plastic because I also installed the Daizen sways at the same time, and it is impossible to do that without taking off all that plastic isht :D

One HoT 02-25-04 09:20 AM

30 min for the rear....1-2 hour for the front...Professionally installed of course..

Hermosa 02-26-04 07:01 PM

Re: Strut installation time

Originally posted by SC400-V8
I just got a set of 4 tokico struts and was horrified when my auto guy said the installation time for struts in a 92 SC400 is 4 hours for the fronts, 2 hours for the rears, at his labor rate of 59/hr im looking at about $400 to install the parts. (I think they go by the chilton's book time labor manual)

Is this right? How the hell does it take so long? It doesnt make sense, the rears i think should take more considering I think the rear seat back needs to be removed to get to the strut mount... but still not an hour each.

Total ripoff?

Big-O quoted me $400 per strut.

One HoT 02-26-04 07:06 PM

Re: Re: Strut installation time

Originally posted by Hermosa
Big-O quoted me $400 per strut.
:eek2: I think it'll be easier if Big-O got a gun and stole all my money in my wallet..

SC400-V8 02-26-04 07:07 PM

Thanks for the help guys... I'm not getting ripped off on this one.

How should I approach the shop manager now, in other words, what shoudl I say?

"Hoffman Lexus said it's 2 hours for the front, 1 hour for the rears with there shop" ??

I'm not entirely sure how to be tactful and still get a good deal at the same time.

aliga 02-26-04 07:14 PM

if you ever in ny, ill have my brother do the install for you for 250

Hermosa 02-26-04 07:20 PM

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Thanks for the help guys... I'm not getting ripped off on this one.

How should I approach the shop manager now, in other words, what shoudl I say?

"Hoffman Lexus said it's 2 hours for the front, 1 hour for the rears with there shop" ??

I'm not entirely sure how to be tactful and still get a good deal at the same time.

That sounds good. Run with this one. 3 hours of Lexus work is a great deal. They could have taken you with book times. I don't know hourly rates there but Lexus charges $125/hr in the NorCal Bay area.

SC400-V8 02-26-04 07:52 PM

Well, its not entirely honest. Hoffman lexus' shop manager said 3 hours front, 2 hours rear. They charge 85.50/hr. I have figures on CL as low as 45 min rears, 1-2 hours front, so I figure i'll make an offer of the aforementioned 3 hours and if they dont go for it, tough.