Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Are Sprint Drop Springs the Lowest/Best Available? If not, which is lowest/best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 02:06 PM
702LXFreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Sprint Drop Springs the Lowest/Best Available? If not, which is lowest/best?

I noticed that Sprint Drop Springs for a 1998+ Lexus GS 300/400/430 is rated as having a 2-Inch Drop in the front & rear. Daizen is rated at 1.9, Apex at 1.6, Tein S-Tech at 1.6, and Espelir at 1.6. Are Sprint Drop springs REALLY the lowest spring made for the GS, or is their rating exagerrated? Can anyone tell me about how the Sprint springs ride & handle compared to other springs? Other springs don't lower the rear of the GS as much as the front, so would the Sprint springs lower the rear too much on my GS 300 so that it would look like my car is squatting? Which springs should I get for my GS 300 if I have 20 inch L-Sportline Model II's, 20x8.5 front & 20x9.5 rear? I don't mind if I need to cut a 1/2 or full coil in the front if need be to get the car as low as possible in the front without hitting the outer fender... I want as close to a "no fenderwell gap" look as possible without damaging my fenders or fenderliners... And no, I don't want to buy coilovers...I would like to get as close as I can with just drop springs, cutting them if need be...
Old 02-23-04, 12:10 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure the Sprint springs are about half the price of all the other springs you mentioned...that should tell you something
Old 02-23-04, 01:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

cutting the springs?! that's the last possible thing i would ever do to my car. i want my car low, but i want it to ride right too. just my 2 cents
Old 02-23-04, 02:07 AM
702LXFreak
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I think the retail & street price of sprint springs are about in-line with several other "good" springs on the market, although I know they aren't the most expensive. They DO come with a limited lifetime warranty, the company has been around for about 10 years producing springs, and their production process mimics that of other "good" springs. I know this is purely off of "paper facts" so I would like to find some real world results/pics/testimonial. Does anyone know anyone with these Sprint springs, or does anyone have a pic of a Lexus GS with these springs and 20 inch rims?
Old 02-23-04, 09:28 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Use the Daizen springs if you want to slam it. The Daizen guys are Lexus enthusiasts, and specialize in our cars.

... and the Sprint stuff doesn't have a great reputation...
Old 02-23-04, 11:16 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 702LXFreak
Actually, I think the retail & street price of sprint springs are about in-line with several other "good" springs on the market, although I know they aren't the most expensive. They DO come with a limited lifetime warranty, the company has been around for about 10 years producing springs, and their production process mimics that of other "good" springs. I know this is purely off of "paper facts" so I would like to find some real world results/pics/testimonial. Does anyone know anyone with these Sprint springs, or does anyone have a pic of a Lexus GS with these springs and 20 inch rims?
Hey, Enron looked good too at one time...
Old 02-23-04, 11:17 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
... and the Sprint stuff doesn't have a great reputation...
Yes, I didn't want to say it in so many words with my first post, but 100% agreed here!
Old 02-24-04, 06:15 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Are Sprint Drop Springs the Lowest/Best Available? If not, which is lowest/best?

Originally posted by 702LXFreak
Which springs should I get for my GS 300 if I have 20 inch L-Sportline Model II's, 20x8.5 front & 20x9.5 rear? I don't mind if I need to cut a 1/2 or full coil in the front if need be to get the car as low as possible in the front without hitting the outer fender...... And no, I don't want to buy coilovers...I would like to get as close as I can with just drop springs, cutting them if need be... [/B]
I noticed a lot of contradictions...

If you have expensive 20s rims, the last thing I would do is to put cheap/unreliable springs on my car. I would never try to save $100 and then risk that I will damage my suspension, rims, ...

Also note that you are not going to save a lot of money, since the installation of any spring brand will cost the same.

If yours were a Honda Civic, then I would understand your decision to go for the cheaper springs, ..

Also, note that the lowering rate that Sprint manufacturers give is only a guideline, not a garantueed drop. Depending on your own car (no of people, your own weight, hifi, ...), the drop on these springs may be different. Trying to seek for the max.drop, without having the adjustability of coilovers, would be risky.

I personally would go for coilovers. Do not understand why you are not considering these. If you can afford 20s L-sportline, a GS, and are willing to try anything in order to seek the max drop, imo this would be the only recommendable way .