Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein PSS vs. Tein Flex Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 12:43 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS vs. Tein Flex Coilovers

Finally had a chance to install my new Bilstein PSS's for the GS4. Car has been up on jackstands for awhile now for some minor body kit add-ons, brakes, and of course this.

History:
Went from stock to L-Tuned about 3 years ago. Replaced with another set of L-Tuned shocks after I noticed some softness and lowering. Replaced these with a new set of Tein Flex's in late December: See Link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=tein

I was very satisfied with this setup along with the controller for the most part. Good ride and good performance. However, I wanted something a tad stiffer so I sold them to another CL member and picked up a new set of l-Tuned in the meantime until I made a decision. Finally decided on Bilsteins since I had them on a few of my Porsches.

Well I had a few minutes to spare so I decided to install these. First thing I noticed when going over the inventory is that it is not assembled as the Teins were out the box. Crap-there goes the few minutes. Why? I found out. This kit does not come with Top Hats/Strut mounts. You have to reuse your old ones. I am glad I did not send those out with the L-Tuned I just sold. Actually my top hats are slightly mod'd with stiffer bushings.

Instructions are ridiculous at best. There are 2 springs per unit! What the hell is this little spring? Surely it does not support the weight of the car? Bilstein calls it a helper spring. In reality it is just a spacer to keep everything together in case the unit is overly extended and the main spring is loose. This keeps it nice and tidy. Other thing I noticed is that all of the pieces were of very good quality. Plus the silver and red combo looks much nice/sportier than the ugly green color Tein uses IMO. Not that it matters much since nobody but your tire man will see them once installed.

The install went fairly smooth, though the helper springs come in two sizes and nowhere does it mention what size goes where. So I had to trial fit them both ways to answer my own question. See pic. Top shock in pic is the rear unit that uses the taller helper spring. Front-below in pic-uses the shorter spring. Hopefully will assist those in the future.

I repainted the top hat of the rear shocks since they looked a little BMW next to the new Bilstein pieces.
One thing I did like is since the rear unit uses the stock top hat ,it bolts onto the existing cars midpoint with the 2 stock 12mm bolts to secure it. The Tein units do not have this and I was not comfortable with such a long unit in back with no mid brace.

Everything bolted up nicely and once installed it does look very sexy especially compared to the Flexs.
Impressions next:

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-23-05 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 12:49 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default Followup

These are the units assembled
Attached Thumbnails Bilstein PSS vs. Tein Flex Coilovers-bilstein3.jpg  
Old 02-18-04, 12:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default Followup

Front installed
Attached Thumbnails Bilstein PSS vs. Tein Flex Coilovers-bilstein2.jpg  
Old 02-18-04, 12:51 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default Rear installed

Rear installed
Attached Thumbnails Bilstein PSS vs. Tein Flex Coilovers-bilstein4.jpg  
Old 02-18-04, 01:19 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default Conclusions

I have since put over 100 miles of slow and high speed touring on these.
Impressions:
Road feel.
PSS-Since this setup uses the stock top hats, the small jolts are absorbed very well even with my upgraded bushings. More so that the Teins at the softest setting. In fact the PSS have a nicer ride than the Teins at the hardest setting. Very similar to the soft setting. Winner-PSS

Handling
PSS-Very nice turn response. Very flat cornering at high speeds. Flatter than Teins easily. However since it uses the stock top hats-initial turn in reaction is slightly delayed compared to the Flexs. However I would say most people would not even be able to ascertain the difference. Now this is with my bushings, so stock would even be a tad slower. Winner-Draw-PSS for flat cornering and confidence, Flex on Turn in reaction.

Noise
Not one peep from the PSS at all. The Flexs did give me all kinds of noise due to the 2 tubes (Flexs are 2 part shocks) adjusted too far out initially. I do not like to lower my car like a Honda but a nice moderate lowering is fine with me-say around 1.5 inches. The Flexs made some clicking noises at this level from time to time since there was not as much thread connecting the two halves and the lock retainer is a bit flimsy. Road noise is the same. Winner-PSS

Quality:
The PSS is of very good quality. Looks great to boot. However the intermediate spring spacer should be larger for both front and rears to hold the main coil spring in place. The coil spring, helper spring, and main shock is nicely stamped with,"Bilstein". The Flex's is a nice unit as well with a very nice top hat which I wish the PSS came with. The springs on the PSS unit are beefier. The lock downs on the PSS is also much nicer than the flimsy ones on the Flex's. Flex is also Teflon coated for rust prevention. Winner: DRAW Bilstein for the better quality pieces, Flex for having nice top hats.

Adjustability:
PSS is height adjustable only. Good for me since the Flex's made me buy the controller since the feature was there and it was something else to fiddle with while driving. Though the FLEXibility is nice. Plus, as a huge bonus the Flex's allow ride height and spring damping adjustments independently whereas the PSS is all tied to the same since it is a 1 piece shock unit. Also if you want to lower your car like a Honda-the Flex is the way to go. Winner: Easily Flex

Packaging:
Both are nicely packaged. Flexs come assembled. PSS does not since it can't due to no top hats. All pieces in PSS is wrapped. Flex is separated by cardboard. Instructions in Flex are much better than the PSS though it is more of a case of best of the worst. Winner: Draw

Installation: PSS requires your old units to be disassembled to reuse the old hats. Flex comes as a complete unit. Install and lower. Winner: Flex

Warranty: PSS comes with lifetime. Flex does not. Personally I could care less since I seriously doubt I would have any set of shocks that long. I had the Flexs for a month! But to some, it is important.

Price:
PSS-893.00 , Flex-I bought it for around 1100.00 but it is much more on the street. $1300.00 and up.

Which would I recommend? For hard street and flat cornering and low maintenance-PSS, for street cruising with some hard driving ,Honda type slam lowering, and adjustability -Flex. It all depends on your needs and wants. Mine is PSS but Flex is ver y very nice as well. You cannot go wrong with either. Next up-RMM BLOWER.

I bought these from AJUSA.com. I DO NOT recommend them. I ordered on a Wednesday. They said they would ship out on Thursday via UPS for Fri delivery for $893.00 DELIVERED. NOT! For one they did not quote me with sales tax and it came out to be 963.00 which they went ahead and billed without asking me. I could have gotten them for less than that. Also they shipped via lowly budget DHL/AIRBORNE/US POST OFFICE @HOME service in which DHL/AIRBORNE delivered it to the Post office 10 mile away to delivery it to me. Took 4 days, not 1 to receive it. They are only 150 miles away from. UPS is an easy 1 day trip. AJ could care less.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-18-04 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-18-04, 01:24 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. Interesting read.
Old 02-18-04, 01:34 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice writeup man very in depth, especially the compariosons and pros/cons. Kinda hard on the guys that like low drops eh? (Honda drops, etc)

One thing to ask, do another update after 500-1000 miles with these. When DaveGS4 initially got them, he thought they were not stiff enough to complement his full arsenal of bracing, but after the update, he said they were PLENTY stiff!! LOL

Good jpb overall and glad ya like em That lifetime warranty cant hurt either!
Old 02-18-04, 01:39 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, I believe DaveGS4 had H&R springs on his setup before he went over which are a little stiffer than L-Tuned. All I can say is that these are certainly stiffer than L-Tuned. But I will certainly give it a nice test over. Heck, if I don't like it in the long run, theres always other options.

Forgot about the Lifetime Warranty.
Old 02-18-04, 01:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

awesome review lee!
Old 02-18-04, 04:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Great writeup and a rare opportunity to try three different setups, especially two coilover setups. Many thanks for sharing your observations!

I had Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks before I got the Bilstein PSS coilovers - definitely a bit stiffer than the L-tuned setup.

I don't have my Bilsteins down as low as they'll go (probably 3/4 down) and they're plenty low for me. Not looking for the slammed look, I like the 1 finger look.
Old 02-18-04, 05:22 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good writeup. Made me wanna jump on a set of PSS
Old 02-18-04, 05:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Great write-up Lee. No question those Bilstein PSS are a REALLY nice coilover. I'm really surprised they don't come assembled and require using the existing top mounts. This means you can't sell your L-Tuned shocks now doesn't it?

Anyway, for me I have to say the EDFC is a nice thing to have. I may have to take a long highway drive soon and it's nice to be able to make the car 'comfy' while at other times be able to make it very aggressive.

But as you say, different strokes... both great products.
Old 02-19-04, 12:56 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys. Paul, your car is looking very nice.I'm sure you lov'in that Tein setup. The L-Tunes already sold to a fellow CL member. They were practically new. I suppose you can say I rented them for a month.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-19-04 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-20-04, 05:55 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default great review

makes me glad i got my JICMAGIC FLT2-A's.

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 02-20-04 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-20-04, 06:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: great review

Originally posted by 3dog
makes me glad i got my JICMAGIC FLT2-A's.

3dog
what does that mean?

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS vs. Tein Flex Coilovers