Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

EBC Greenstuff Sucks!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 07:19 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Greenstuff Sucks!!

I replaced my rear OEM pads about 7k miles ago with EBC Greenstuff pads thinking they were the way to go. Yesterday after coming home from the mountains, I ground my rotors pretty bad...metal on metal doesn't sound too good when you stop. Yeah, I drive my car hard, but it's not like I take it to the track or anything. I'm pretty disappointed that I just took my brakes apart to find my outer passenger side pad was burnt and worn completely through and the rest of the pads on the rear desperately needed replacing. There are other reasons why I don't like them...

1. Wears extremely fast
2. Too much brake dust
3. No anti squeal shims
4. Wear tabs only on one pad per side
5. Fairly noisy

I just bought RotoTech drilled-slotted's & some Akibono pads. These are the best of what is available at the distributor I can get cheap parts from. Has anyone had similar problems with EBC? ANy fedback on RotoTech or Akibono's?
Old 02-02-04, 08:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow man that's a first. i think the green stuff are not dusty at all already, compared to my old pigids. of course you can't compare them to the stock pads, the stock one is not aggressive at all. the green stuff are performance brake category anyway. though 7k miles do sounds pretty fast. the green stuff on my ap racing still look pretty good so far
Old 02-02-04, 08:14 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

EBC Greenstuff produces less amount of dusy comparing with TRD street pads. Did you properly perform the break-in process when you installed the pads and rotors? I've been using Axxis Ultimate pads on my Stoptech for over 10000 miles and there were still plenty of pads left last time I checked. You can give Axxis Deluxe pads a try. They produce considerably less amount of break dust when you look into aftermarket pads. But nothing can compare with stock pads when you want the least amount of dus.
Old 02-02-04, 09:01 PM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RAristo
EBC Greenstuff produces less amount of dusy comparing with TRD street pads. Did you properly perform the break-in process when you installed the pads and rotors? I've been using Axxis Ultimate pads on my Stoptech for over 10000 miles and there were still plenty of pads left last time I checked. You can give Axxis Deluxe pads a try. They produce considerably less amount of break dust when you look into aftermarket pads. But nothing can compare with stock pads when you want the least amount of dus.
I was pretty easy on the brakes for the first 1k miles...maybe it's just because I drive too fast?

Another thing is that the Akibono pads I got look twice as thick as the EBCs...so far so good, but I'll give them 1k until I really test them out.

Are the Ultimates ceramic? I was pretty happy with ceramic pads on my accord, there was very minimal brake dust and performance was decent (for an accord), but it seems like organics and semis are the only pads I can find.
Old 02-02-04, 10:19 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only experience number 1 on your list, and maybe to add one.....they wear your rotors out quick. Everything else seems to be fine. I had a problem with them a couple a weeks ago, but got my rotors turned and everything was fine after that.
Old 02-02-04, 11:34 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

SilverLexo,

If memory serves me right, Axxis Deluxe uses organic metalic. Also, there are lots of online stores that sell ceramic pads for GS. Just google it.
Old 02-03-04, 01:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well i don't have that many miles on the green stuff yet, but as far as i can tell, it's definitely not as aggressive as my previous pads on teh ap racing rotors. i figured i needed to get something better for the rotors before i spill out another 600 bucks for new one
Old 02-03-04, 09:03 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by mcgong
I have only experience number 1 on your list, and maybe to add one.....they wear your rotors out quick.
Wearing your rotors out quick can be costly, especially since the EBC's don't have wear tabs on both pads. As soon as I realized my pads were burnt through I had ruined my rotors. If I had bought different pads I would have at least gotten the warning squeal before major damage occurred. Besides, 7k miles is just ridiculous to go though pads in.
Old 02-05-04, 01:57 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

SilverLexo:
Yeah, man, I couldn't believe the dust after changing out my stock pads for Greenstuff, just unbelievable. Seemed to calm down as they wore in more, but sheesh, ain't a "low-dust" pad by my estimation. Tremendously improved braking though. Those things grab like a summabeech. You're making me wonder if I have any rotors left.

Curious as to how the Akebono's are compared to the EBC's ????? Do they brake as well? How about dust?
Old 02-05-04, 02:35 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow! I thought the EBC Greens were better behaved (dust and rotor friendliness) than the descriptions here. I will be putting them on so I'm a little concerned now.
Old 02-05-04, 04:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i have no problem on my ap racing, rmmgs4 has no problem on his ap racing, and also his old supra tt setup. that's all i can tell you.
Old 02-05-04, 06:16 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe EBC has some quality issue. I had my Supra TT with Green stuff for 15k miles and I still have more than 50% pad left. While my Chrysler minivan, I also installed EBC, it worn to metal in 8k miles and it's dusty. I have switched to Hawk pads now.
Old 02-05-04, 06:58 PM
MasterG
Pole Position

The EBC Greenstuff have been the best I've used so far. No dust and they're not wearing out fast .
Old 02-05-04, 07:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quite a range of experiences with these pads.
Old 02-05-04, 08:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by JacobT
I believe EBC has some quality issue. I had my Supra TT with Green stuff for 15k miles and I still have more than 50% pad left. While my Chrysler minivan, I also installed EBC, it worn to metal in 8k miles and it's dusty. I have switched to Hawk pads now.
haha now your chrysler got some powerful brakes, haha

Quick Reply: EBC Greenstuff Sucks!!