Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help - clunking noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 03:00 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Need help - clunking noise when braking

So my uncle borrowed my car when visiting over the holidays. After he left, I drove the car again and noticed a very unpleasant "clunk" whenever you brake. I have no idea what he did or how/where he drove, but I'm guessing he ran over something.

Before I go and ask/accuse him of doing anything, I wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced similar noises. It's an '01 GS430 with about 43000 miles. Serviced about 4000 miles ago, brake pads are fine. Tires are in excellent shape too. I had a '98 GS4 before this one, and in the near 6 years of having a GS, I have never heard this type of noise.

The clunking noise is quite loud, and it happens pretty much 100% of the time when the car comes to a complete stop, going either forward or in reverse. it doesn't happen right away when the brake is depressed, but rather towards the "end" of the stop when the car is rolling to a stop. Doesn't really matter how hard I brake either. Going fast or even pulling out of the garage, the clunk is there.

Does anyone have any advice on this? The dealer has no idea and I don't want to spend a lot of money on this car since my lease is up in 2,000 miles. I'd love to get it fixed under warranty, so if anyone has had similar issues, please let me know!! Thanks for your help.
Old 01-20-04, 07:10 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy me too...

wow, i have the same problem... but i use the word problem lightly. mine also makes a clunking noise when i brake, but its not that loud (yet??) and it doesnt happen all the time (about 10% of the time). but this is making me VERY uneasy and nervous. i cant take my car to the dealer yet b/c when the test drive my car, im SURE it wont make the noise and as soon as i pull out, the noise will be back. anyway, i REALLY need to get whatever it may be fixed, but i dont know what to do?? if anyone knows anything, please do post. thanks.
Old 01-21-04, 07:49 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

I think you need to find a local pro who knows brakes and suspension to diagnose this. It will take some first hand driving experience with the specific noise and conditions to diagnose. Or take it to your dealer and let them diagnose/fix it. There are really too many variables to figure this out over the phone.

George
Old 01-21-04, 11:43 AM
ligflava
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also experienced this phenomenon in my '03 GS4, and I went into Longo for service last night. The noise usually occurs when I brake with my wheels turned. I first noticed it when I was backing out of the garage/driveway. Now I notice it when I'm moving forward in the car. It happens intermittently and it is not too loud (maybe like someone knocking on the window). I would also comment that it started to occur somewhere between 10K and 15K miles.

My service advisor (Phil Russel, who's vey helpful/courteous) noted that brake noise complaints are common on the GS and IS. He says it usually happens in the cold due to parts not completely expanding in the calipers (supposedly, the caliper has some inhenrent play that goes away once parts are at normal operating tempurature...). I told him that it happens no matter what my car's tempurature is. He said he would look into it and I expect a resolution today. I'll see what happens and post a follow-up when I know more about the situation.
Old 01-21-04, 03:12 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I ALSO HAVE THAT ANNOYING SOUND

I also notice this more when the car is cold. It goes away during a "normal' stop, but is present when making a harder stop at very slow speeds. I do it often to hear the noise in an attempt to figure out what it is.

When my wife went out with me to test drive the car the first time, the car was cold. She started the car, put it in reverse with her foot on the brakes, and she heard the "clunk". I had never noticed it before (although I had driven the car 3 times before. By the time we came back from her drive, we tried shifting from drive to reverse, and back again. This time there was no noise. It seems to be in either the suspension or the brakes. It also seems located in the rear instead of the front.

I shudder because I don't want something to go bad out back. I had 3 Thunderbird SuperCoupes with independent rear suspension, and when they got older, noise and vibrations developed out back. We have 2 piece driveshafts that are better for top end than a long, one piece unit like the Ford. At higher speeds I heard a lot of noise with the Ford, but this one is whisper quiet at all speeds, so I ruled out the driveshaft.

I wil keep looking and listening, and not try to read too much into this. If I could just narrow it down to the brakes I would be happy.

Just my $.02

GSEREP1.
Old 01-21-04, 03:40 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

I used to have clinking noise when either going up a drive way at slow speeds or parking. I took my car twice to the dealer and they said that my brakes were fine, i guess lubed up the brakes and the noise would go away for a while but would come back. I just recently changed my front and rear brakes and have had no more clinking noise. hopefully that the end of that. supposeably its the brake pad that is shifting which causes the clinking maybe you nedd new brakes or a shim kit or lube but mines are fixed for now
Old 01-21-04, 06:49 PM
ligflava
Driver

just got back from the dealer. they removed the pads and shims and all the other fittings from the caliper, relubed, and reinstalled.

my brakes feel good (but that might be from comparing it to the ES300 loaner i've been driving). haven't heard any clunking noise yet, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 08-17-06, 08:58 AM
minla007
Pole Position

interesting...im having this issue as well....very loud clunkin noise from front suspension when the car is in reverse (like backing out of a parking space).

I started having this problem, after my ball joints and outer tie rods were replaced. I don't think it has to do w/ my brakes because it clunks regardless if i am braking or not, it only when I am in reverse and turnign the wheel. Seems to happen mostly when the car is cold, but has happend when the car is warmed up too.

any thoughts to as what this may be? maybe something loose? fock!
Old 08-18-06, 06:29 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i have this problem too withthe supratt setup and i can feel it in the pedal too but i thought it was my spacers moving around... maybe i have the same issue as u guys..
Old 08-22-06, 05:06 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

i also hav the same problem. but i'm putting bbk in this weekend so i'm hoping it goes away
Old 08-23-06, 06:59 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Adam2562
i have this problem too withthe supratt setup and i can feel it in the pedal too but i thought it was my spacers moving around... maybe i have the same issue as u guys..
yeah im not sure waht the issue is, during the past few days, the clunking has gone away....weird...i guess ill need to keep a close eye on it and see what happens....lemme know if you guys experience it too
Old 08-23-06, 12:44 PM
carofchoic
Driver

Originally Posted by minla007
interesting...im having this issue as well....very loud clunkin noise from front suspension when the car is in reverse (like backing out of a parking space).

I started having this problem, after my ball joints and outer tie rods were replaced. I don't think it has to do w/ my brakes because it clunks regardless if i am braking or not, it only when I am in reverse and turnign the wheel. Seems to happen mostly when the car is cold, but has happend when the car is warmed up too.

any thoughts to as what this may be? maybe something loose? fock!
yours sounds more like a wheel bearing. had this problem in a few other cars and thats what i had to change out. i dont own a gs (yet) but if you guys have abs it could be something with that. if it were brake pads then you would hear the clunk once then the pad would have shifted to the front or rear and that would be that until you went in the opposite direction.
Old 08-23-06, 02:35 PM
minla007
Pole Position

ok so i took my car to my mechanic who did the ball joint/tie rod install...he said it was my brake pads and/or brake clips....they were some aftermarket brand, not sure what brand cuz i bougth the car used

so i went to lindsay lexus and purchased some new brake clips ($45 ) and a set of oem front pads ($70). he installed them and so far no clunking noise in reverse.....ill keep u guys posted this remedy does or does not solve this mysterious clunking problem....stay tuned ladies

i still can't believe those stupid brake clips cost me $45...the stealership raped me big time....but i must say, lindsay has a very nice service facility.

i was gonna get the akebono ceramic pads, but went with the OEM one's instead cuz i was already at the parts dept and didnt want to wait for the akebono's to ship....does anyone know what type of material the OEM pads are? are they ceramic too?....hopefully the burning smell goes away too
Old 08-25-06, 06:54 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carofchoic
if it were brake pads then you would hear the clunk once then the pad would have shifted to the front or rear and that would be that until you went in the opposite direction.
Bingo. The SC430, IS300, & GS300 use the same front brake pads. It seems more IS owners hear the brake clunking. And it usualy is just from front to back (backing out of a driveway, then going forward).
Old 08-25-06, 04:01 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

mine isnt from giong forward to backward.. mine is sumthing else... and it does it more when it rains... its like sumthing gives way under a certain amout of pressure... Ki... i'll have u drive mine one day when its raining andlet u see what i'm talking about.. i havent heard it in awhile.. but who knows... and i need to get a new set of extended studs from H&R too and put them in.. one of my studs is fcuked

Last edited by Adam2562; 08-25-06 at 04:06 PM.