Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

help with suspension please!

Old 12-28-03, 02:37 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with suspension please!

please look at these pitures of my car. to me the rear already looks lowered because of the weight of my stereo stystem. i do not want to go with a whole new suspension but i want to lower my car with some new springs. the front just dones look right. what should i do so that my rear tires wont rub. i have 20" wheels. i absolutely dont want any rubbing but i want it to look more aggresive. what should i do?
Old 12-28-03, 07:43 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

do u know what offset u'r wheels ? if u still have theboxes than it should b on there or inside of the wheel ..it makes a big difference, mayb thats why u'r rubbing...
Old 12-28-03, 09:15 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

hey i think i need to rephrase what i said. the wheels dont rub yet but i am worried that when i lower it they will rub, i dont want them to rub so that is why i needed some help, i hope i didnt confuse anyone. i wasnt very clear
Old 12-29-03, 03:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

well i am definitely still confused. so you have 20s, your car is not lowered yet, but you are afraid that when you lower the car then it will rub, and you don't want the rear to be too low? well first of all we still need to know the offset for the rear (and the size) so we can tell you up front if you are going to rub or not. second, i don't think any springs in the market will do you good. all the springs they are designed for stock setup, no company will design a spring for a car with a 300lb auto setup in the trunk. imho, if you have audio, spend more money on coilovers
Old 12-29-03, 10:50 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 00lexondub
hey i think i need to rephrase what i said. the wheels dont rub yet but i am worried that when i lower it they will rub, i dont want them to rub so that is why i needed some help, i hope i didnt confuse anyone. i wasnt very clear
Dude!

1) Find a nice level parking lane free of parked cars.
2) Drive the rear wheel on to the curb slowly where the curb meets a driveway (it should be smoothed out there). This way, you put a lot of weight on the wheel, simulating the suspension travel. Have someone watch the wheel as you back the car up, so that they can warn you if it starts to rub.

If it rubs, I know of the following you can do:
1) Adjust for more negative camber (not too much adjustment there).
2) Roll the fenders at a body shop near you (ask around to make sure the shop knows how to do it).
3) Go for slightly narrower or lower profile tires (potentially screws up your odometer and speedometer readings).
4) Get different wheels.
5) A combination of the above.

This is just my opinion, though. May be the gurus here will give better advice.

Good luck!

Last edited by Vlad_Stein; 12-29-03 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-09-04, 03:11 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

hey i took the wheels of and found a little tage on the inner lip of the wheels, is this it?, it just set 38, nothing else? tahts all i could find!!!! help me....
Old 01-09-04, 03:57 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Sounds about right, my GDs were 40 offset and my CA-05s are 35 offset, so you should be cool with a drop, just dont go TOO low (2.5" and lower)
Old 01-09-04, 04:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

sorry i forgot, you have 20x8.5 all around? if so then 38 is fine, no problem at all.
Old 01-09-04, 06:07 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

i was think something like a 1" or maybe up to 1.5"???? i dont want it too low. any suggestions on certain brands?? what are u guys runnin??? thanks
hey also check out my gallery i piosted some pics of my new tanabe exaust and my painted calipers. i used your advice rom and bought the duplicolor paint ,looks good ehat you guys think?
also i am gettin a srt intake on tuesday should have pics of that by weds so check it out. thanks
rick
Old 01-09-04, 06:09 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

and ya i got 20 x 8.5
Old 01-09-04, 06:13 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

rick keep in mind that if you run springs, you rear is gonna sit lower than the front, there is no 2 ways around it. T'he only way to remedy the "system sag" is to get coilovers, just letting you know beforehand!
Old 01-09-04, 06:19 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

probabbly gonna sit alot lower cuz of the system wont it? thats sucks cuz i dont have enough money for a whole new suspension i guess it will have to wait... did you see the pics of the exhaust.. i updated on sounddomain too.. check it out. thanks for the info though
rick
Old 01-09-04, 07:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you are going to have such a heavy setup in the car, the only way to get a good drop and the one you want, is to get coilover. nothing less. all springs are designed for the car without extra load, so there you go.

and yeah with 20x8.5 +38 you are pretty safe.
Old 01-10-04, 12:08 PM
00lexondub
Lexus Champion

what is something like this going to run me?? how much $$$, where is the best place i can buy them and how much do they sell them for. hkw much does usual installatinon on these cost??? sorry fot all the questions , just trying to figure it out. thanks
rick
Old 01-10-04, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by 00lexondub
what is something like this going to run me?? how much $$$, where is the best place i can buy them and how much do they sell them for. hkw much does usual installatinon on these cost??? sorry fot all the questions , just trying to figure it out. thanks
rick
coilover if you wana pretty good ride, i suggest the tein flex. couple menbers are selling them. contact neo about his, he's selling it for 850 only, i know him well and he take care of his car a lot, so it's good price for good stuff. installation? just the same as doing the springs/shocks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help with suspension please!