Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L tune steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-03, 08:36 AM
ballin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L tune steering ECU

How can you tell the difference between an L-Tune steering ECU, and a Regular steering ECU? Is there a serial # on the ECU, L-tune sign, anything?
Old 12-08-03, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you can't tell at all. you just trust the source
Old 12-08-03, 09:27 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I just installed mine last week. The l-tuned part is the same as stock (P/N, form, fit), so mark the stock part you take off so not to confuse with the l-tuned part. The instructions were correct except for the mounting bolt...on my 99 GS the bolt is 10mm (not 6mm as described in the installation instructions). Only took 1/2 hr to install.
Old 12-08-03, 10:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bmgs400
I just installed mine last week. The l-tuned part is the same as stock (P/N, form, fit), so mark the stock part you take off so not to confuse with the l-tuned part. The instructions were correct except for the mounting bolt...on my 99 GS the bolt is 10mm (not 6mm as described in the installation instructions). Only took 1/2 hr to install.
yup it's 10mm not 6mm, i did my isntall too. very easy, took me 20 mins at most. most of the time was trying to get the bolt off, the position is just awkward. i would only get the ecu from reliable source, coz' it's the same as old one....
Old 12-08-03, 10:57 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
yup it's 10mm not 6mm, i did my isntall too. very easy, took me 20 mins at most. most of the time was trying to get the bolt off, the position is just awkward. i would only get the ecu from reliable source, coz' it's the same as old one....
When I recently installed mine, I left the bracket attached (I didn't remove the 10mm bolt) and just slid the plastic ECU off of the steel bracket.

I tried to remove the bolt, but just couldn't manage to get my 10mm wrech anywhere close to the correct position to remove the bolt.
Old 12-08-03, 12:39 PM
ballin
Pole Position

What kind of steering enhancements should I expect or look for if it is an actual L-tune ECU?
Old 12-08-03, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

BuyERTS, i actually tried your method, but i couldn't slide the thing out at all, not the one in the car nor the new one. so i had to take out the screw eventually. i used the 3/8 drive wrence with 6" extension (or 10mm deep socket) i believe?

ballin, after i put on the ltuned ecu, the steering is a LITTLE bit tighter, mostly at high speed (freeway). on local i didn't feel anything at all. but on freeway definitely tighter
Old 12-09-03, 12:07 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
...the steering is a LITTLE bit tighter, mostly at high speed (freeway). on local i didn't feel anything at all. but on freeway definitely tighter
This is funny (in an odd way, not a "ha ha" way). I'd swear that I only notice a difference at lower speeds, and not at higher speeds. ??? To me, it feels tighter -- like there is less power assist -- at lower speeds where the normal ECU would provide more assist.
Old 12-09-03, 01:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by BuyERTS
This is funny (in an odd way, not a "ha ha" way). I'd swear that I only notice a difference at lower speeds, and not at higher speeds. ??? To me, it feels tighter -- like there is less power assist -- at lower speeds where the normal ECU would provide more assist.
really? now that's bad. that kinda defect the point though
Old 12-09-03, 07:24 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I drove around my block a few times and the steering felt the same as stock...max speed limit was 35mph. I'll have to wait till spring for high speed testing 90+ mph. I would hope for tighter steering at higher speeds. I'm not looking for super-tight steering like in my dad's Triumph TR6, but at speed we need improvement.
Old 12-11-03, 09:04 AM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last Summer, I got a set of 18" wheels on my GS4 and noticed that the steering wheel was not tight to steer the new wheels. So I got myself a used L-tuned ECU from a ClubLexus member. I noticed the difference of the steering wheel right away. It felt tighter, not much, but tighter. It is winter now so I put the old set of 16" stock tires on the car. I don't think the L-tuned ECU does much for the 16" stock tires. I hardly felt the difference on the 16".
Old 12-11-03, 09:15 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I hear ya, the ecu is just part of the steering. Riding on 16" and those soft tires are probably the "weakest link" in the steering "chain". The best ecu couldn't correct that. I'm planning on 18" or 19" w/ 8.5"front, 10" rear. I also think that a good front strut tower bar (like a TRD) would stiffen the front end enough allowing the ecu to do a better job.
Old 12-11-03, 10:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally posted by bmgs400
I hear ya, the ecu is just part of the steering. Riding on 16" and those soft tires are probably the "weakest link" in the steering "chain". The best ecu couldn't correct that. I'm planning on 18" or 19" w/ 8.5"front, 10" rear. I also think that a good front strut tower bar (like a TRD) would stiffen the front end enough allowing the ecu to do a better job.
I agree with that completely.
Old 12-11-03, 01:35 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I Second that!!!

You guys are right on the money!
Old 12-12-03, 02:30 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default heres my story

i had the "l tuned " steering ecu. tried it for 5 months or so nothing at high speed or lower speed. recently changed back to stock one to see if i could tell the difference, i couldnt. in fact im leaveing the stock one cuz its not worth it to me. so either i got a stock one not a ltuned one. reliable source? carson toyota. it looked identical to the one i took out, i marked it with a marker. what you guys think?

Quick Reply: L tune steering ECU