Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HKS LS+ coilovers and Defi boost gauge installed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03, 07:46 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HKS LS+ coilovers and Defi boost gauge installed....

Hey guys,

I know this probably will not be too pertinent on most of you but I thought I'd still update you guys on the progress of building my ultimate Aristo.

Installed yesterday was a Defi boost gauge, with the accompanying Defi Controller II unit. I tapped the boost directly from T-ing into the turbo pressure sensor tube and running the wire into the cabin through a rubber grommet in the passenger side foot well. I cut my pinkie with the coat hanger as I was trying to punch a hole through the grommet and had to perform serious acrobatic tricks to get the wire through the firewall. All in all the install took about 2 hours, but that's mostly getting the wire into the cabin, zip-tying everything and making sure nothing touches hot metal in the engine bay. Here are the pictures:

Ho-hum, I know...boring right?

So...let there be LIGHT!

Dash view at night...

Center console view at night... I think I will remove the green film from the center display so everything will be white and right! Notice that the ashtray was removed in favor of the Defi Controller II unit = a nifty little gadget that will allow u to record boost peak, warning and other gizmo settings and replay it afterwards!

So I found out that at idle, my car reads 18 IN HG, at light throttle 0 bar and at WOT it read 1 bar or 18psi. I guess the AVC-R has modified the boost setting to go up that high. Good 'nuff for me!

Last edited by jtanoyo1; 12-06-03 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-06-03, 07:53 AM
loonyrobert3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ooooohhhhhhhhh
Old 12-06-03, 07:54 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

I also spent all day today installing the HKS LS+ coilovers (finally!) on the car. Everything was pretty straight-forward and the install went by without a hitch. I also took the liberty of sending off the wheels to get refinished, repolished and have all the curb rash and dings sanded down and removed. I am too ashamed to post these really bad quality pics but I was in a hurry to take them as it was getting pretty late.

Can we say slammed? Rear coilover setting was set 2/3 way down and front setting was wound down all the way to the bottom. On standard factory bodykit, I get by without scraping anything except maybe the exhaust downpipe occasionally on speed bumps or super steep incline. But so far my bumpers have been spared.....

Old 12-06-03, 07:56 AM
loonyrobert3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by loonyrobert3
ooooohhhhhhhhh
Old 12-06-03, 08:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Dang that's slammed. How do you like the ride with those coilovers?
Old 12-06-03, 08:18 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

See if my car was riding on 20's and it was this slammed, my bumpers would still be way off the ground. But since I am riding on 19's, even without a major extreme bodykit, this car is hella slammed. Just the way I like it.

And the ride, oh man, the ride WAS AWESOME. I had the stiffness setting set at medium coz I thought that would be the best setting to start with and took it around my city. Trammelling (where your car suddenly steers like a nut left and right by itself coz of the uneven grooves on the road) is virtually gone. Car handles like rails, sticks to the road like flies stick to ******. But the best part is the fact that it still rides like the exemplary luxury sedan that a lexus is. No teeth-jarring rattles, no weird creaking noise from the cabin, no CD skips, nothing. The car rides like it was stock!!! Man, I was grinning from ear to ear and I think I put on 50 miles alone today just driving around town, boosting, swerving in and out of traffic and stuff. No more nose dive when breaking hard and neck snap from hard acceleration is somewhat subdued too.
Old 12-06-03, 08:31 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, I forgot to add. I ended up spending USD1,400 today for refinishing the wheels, balancing the tires and 4 wheels alignment. While at the shop, the mechanics found out that 3 of my old tires had hairline cracks all along the sidewall. They told me Pirelli P-Zero asimetrico tires have tendencies to crack their sidewalls because of the extreme hot weather that we have here in Indonesia. I ended up buying Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Ouch. Expensive day today.
Old 12-06-03, 01:12 PM
Aristor
Lead Lap

DAmn..., I have just been away for awhile and it seems like you have done alot, did you buy those parts from Hong Kong? which shop???. .very nice, you have done a great job. Maybe I'll see if I could find a buyer for my Tein Cs and try the HKS instead.Take some daytime pics , I want to see how slam the car is. I really want to slam my car too, but the condition of the roads in Hong Kong are very bad.
Old 12-06-03, 07:08 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

From the pictures of the wheels...It looks the tires are a lot smaller then the wheel...Like there is a piece of the wheel sticking out...Im probably mistaken as I dont know much about tire and wheels....
Old 12-06-03, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by mdw131
From the pictures of the wheels...It looks the tires are a lot smaller then the wheel...Like there is a piece of the wheel sticking out...Im probably mistaken as I dont know much about tire and wheels....
Apparently that's a JDM thing so they can get things really tucked and low. See JunctionGS's GS.
Old 12-07-03, 04:03 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Wha...? No there's plenty of tires there. It's 245/35/19 up front and 275/30/19 at the rears. I think it's pretty much what everyone's using out in the US too....

I will be posting daylight pics soon.
Old 12-07-03, 04:42 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Looking good man!!!
I like the HKS coilovers...wonder if they are easily available over here.
Old 12-07-03, 06:57 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Richie
Looking good man!!!
I like the HKS coilovers...wonder if they are easily available over here.
I believe so, but I think it will cost you a lot more than what it did cost me.....
Old 12-07-03, 08:26 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
I believe so, but I think it will cost you a lot more than what it did cost me.....
May I ask what you paid?
Old 12-07-03, 10:25 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Richie
May I ask what you paid?
In Hongkong they cost about $1200, I paid closer to $1400 but I believe you'd pay a bit more where you are in Holland. You should ask Alex (HKGS300) to help you out.

Quick Reply: HKS LS+ coilovers and Defi boost gauge installed....