Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

OK..Just been told that I can have new TRD shocks and struts..My budget is very tight

Old 11-17-03, 09:03 PM
kam1996
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK..Just been told that I can have new TRD shocks and struts..My budget is very tight

OK..Just been told that I can have new TRD shocks and springs..My budget is very tight..and coilcovers are almost not an option..so If you guys had a budget of say 500-750 would you still NOT get the shocks/springs or
the ride improvement is worth 1000?
Also, if it was possible to have the ECU..is That worth the money..keep in mind I have a tight budget..2nd baby arriving in a month or so...So please reply as soon as you can..i really need to make a decision tonight..and sorry for all these posts..but i am new to all thsi...
Please help....
Old 11-17-03, 09:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Given your budget, IMO look for a USED set of springs/shocks or coilovers at a good price AND also buy a new L-tuned ECU should it become available.
Old 11-17-03, 09:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
a new L-tuned ECU should it become available.
It is. Steve just responded today in another thread that he has some coming in.
Old 11-17-03, 09:18 PM
kam1996
Rookie

Default I am sorry

My post wasn't clear..My budget is about 500-750 for the springs/shocks..I understand that I will have to pay extra for the labor...Plus I can also pay extra for the ECU..or do you suggest that I save all my cash and get the coil ocvers when i can...what do you all say...very confused here.....
Old 11-17-03, 09:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Same advice as above. With a second baby on the way and a tight budget, I'd be looking for a used set of coilovers OR springs/shocks that meet your criteria. OR just simply saving money for college education

Many members will say go right for the coilovers and I agree.. but only if you find the right ones at a good price. A nice set of springs & shocks are *just right* for many members on the forum if you don't care about adjustable height and don't plan to track your GS. Start watching the classifieds.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-17-03 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 09:28 PM
Neo
The One

Default Re: I am sorry

Originally posted by kam1996
My post wasn't clear..My budget is about 500-750 for the springs/shocks..I understand that I will have to pay extra for the labor...Plus I can also pay extra for the ECU..or do you suggest that I save all my cash and get the coil ocvers when i can...what do you all say...very confused here.....
Well, what is it that you are trying to achieve with the suspension? Lowering? Increase handling? Any ride quality considerations? Are wheel upgrades going to be a factor? Are you planning other suspension mods?

The suspension is a tricky thing to deal with and everyone has different goals and tolerances. All the suspension pieces affect the ride in some way (and it is not always ina good way). A ride may be harsh to someone but perfectly fine for another. All coilovers and shock/springs combos are not made the same. They all have different end results and only you can know what the ride you want is. If you give more info, the members may be able to give you better guidance. In the end, though, it is still your ride.

As for the coilovers vs. S/S issue, is there something that a coilover system can do better than a S/S combo for you? If so, I'd save up for coilovers. If not, and be honest with yourself, find a good S/S combo that reflects what you want to do with the car. I am only asking this because I originally wanted coilovers for its adjustability and how low you can take it. There are a few other benefits but these were the main two. I went with S/S since I did not think I'd continue modding the car. I sold my S/S and have coilovers now at a higher cost (parts & multiple installs). This is why you really have to be honest with yourself about your modding plans.

Good luck.

Last edited by Neo; 11-17-03 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 09:39 PM
kam1996
Rookie

Default Neo..thanks and here is the answer..

All I am looking for is to make the car handle better..Ok let me be specific..I want to loose the front end dive during breaking. That woudl be nice..but I CAN still live with it if i have to..
my previous car was an Audi A6 ..so I am trying to get THAT feeling in the GS..Better steering feedback..better turn in...No boaty feeling...just want to feel connected to the road...
Since its my family car I still want to keep it quite and smooth..I know that I may loose some quiteness and smootness..but I am hoping its not too bad of a trade off.
I just want the car to be able to turn and take a corner..slow and fast and inspire confidence.....Dont plan on auto crossing or racing on the street..just want to have fun driving on my way to work and my trips to walmart to buy diapers...hehehe

Last edited by kam1996; 11-17-03 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 10:14 PM
Neo
The One

Default Re: Neo..thanks and here is the answer..

I want to loose the front end dive during breaking. That woudl be nice..but I CAN still live with it if i have to..
No boaty feeling...just want to feel connected to the road...
Well, upgrade S/S will be nice here. I used to have L-Tuned S/S and even that took away the floaty feel. I also went to 18s and wider giving me a bigger contact patch. I liked this a lot but I wanted to go a little lower and actually softer. Daizen has a set of springs now that does just that. It lowers a little more than the L-Tuned and it has a softer, more stock-like feel. I think lexforlife has the L-Tuned shocks/Daizen springs combo and he seems to like it a lot. Either find his review threads or PM him for his opinion.

my previous car was an Audi A6 ..so I am trying to get THAT feeling in the GS
Never had or driven an Audi so I can't help you here.

Better steering feedback..better turn in
The L-Tuned ECU will help at high speeds but overall still a little soft.

Since its my family car I still want to keep it quite and smooth..I know that I may loose some quiteness and smootness..but I am hoping its not too bad of a trade off.
It depends. Going to larger wheels will definitely increase noise. As for smoothness, when I had my S/S, the car was still pretty smooth. On top of that, since the floaty feel at high speeds went away, the ride was better. It was not as soft but better. I think my Teins now are softer than the L-Tuned S/S. I cannot vouch for the Daizen springs since I do not have it. From reading others' feedback, though, it seems to do what they advertised: lowered but stock-like feel. The Espelir springs also claims this.

I just want the car to be able to turn and take a corner..slow and fast and inspire confidence
Now this all depends on you. What your definition of confidence may be different than others. If you don't plan on really slamming the car and really do not care about adjustability (both height and dampening), then try the L-Tuned/Daizen combo. As for the drop, it depends on whether or not you plan to upgrade wheels. I've seen 19s, 20s with just the L-Tuned drop and the car looks great. Find pics of Bitkahuna's car for 19s and gsintensive's car for 20s.

If you want to increase cornering abilities, I'd suggest a set of Daizen sways. If after sways, you want more (keep in mind, the more pieces, the more compromises you will have to make on ride quality although the pieces I've suggested are really good at retaining the ride quality), there are other pieces you can add. With your current budget, though, I'd say come back and ask again after you've tried these pieces.

Hope this helped.
Old 11-17-03, 10:22 PM
kam1996
Rookie

Default Neo..Thanks..it really helps..I may just

I amy just wait..I am questioning the L Tuned S/S now..I am thinbking about trying sways, STB and 17s..and then see how I like the car ..if that doesnt help..I would save money and add coilcovers..what do you think?????
This way I wont even touch the S/S..get 17s or 18s for the same money i woudl spend on S/S...the car would look good (i know would look better lowered)..and the sway would help with cornering...then if the car is still not "stable" enough..i could add coilcovers and have the "whole" package..if there is such a thing..
But i really do appreciate your help..hope i can return the favor to you or someone else some day...
do let me know what you think about what i said above....
Old 11-18-03, 08:09 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

coil overs are the way to go if you can afford them

Myself, i got the l-tuned struts w/ eibach pro kit springs. lowered the front about 1.25" and the back 1". Def improved handling. Love the look, and cost very very little

here are pics that i posted

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=101162
Old 11-18-03, 07:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Once they come off backorder you may want to consider Bilstein PSS (850-900 bucks) very close to your price range, may be best of both worlds!
Old 11-19-03, 11:55 AM
Neo
The One

Default Re: Neo..Thanks..it really helps..I may just

I amy just wait..I am questioning the L Tuned S/S now..I am thinbking about trying sways, STB and 17s..and then see how I like the car ..if that doesnt help..I would save money and add coilcovers..what do you think?????
This way I wont even touch the S/S..get 17s or 18s for the same money i woudl spend on S/S...the car would look good (i know would look better lowered)..and the sway would help with cornering...then if the car is still not "stable" enough..i could add coilcovers and have the "whole" package..if there is such a thing..
I don;t know anyone who has done it this way but the plan sounds fine. You should get cornering benefits from the sways. And when you get coilovers, it should work out nicely. Now plan your purdhases accordingly. I know people with softer coilovers (Tein CS) with TRD sways and they like it. I have sportier coilovers (Tein Flex) with Daizen sways and I like that combo too. Unless you want a really "sporty" ride, getting something like Tein HAs with TRD sways will really degrade your ride quality. For example, there is a nice deal Steve is giving on the TRD sways right now but make sure you plan on coupling it with less aggressive coilovers if ride quality is important to you.

Last edited by Neo; 11-19-03 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-23-03, 02:04 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what to get

my guess is you still have the stock 16" so i'd suggest upgrading that first. i did that and went to 17" lexus chrome. you can always sell those later if you want. skip the springs and shocks altogether. save up for new or used coilovers cuz thats where you'll end up at eventually, no sense paying for multi installs. now you are going to want some sways and then as many of the toms braces as you can afford. at this point your car will really be transformed into a fine handling dream machine.