Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Should I do wheels or big brakes first?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-03, 10:10 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question questions?????

hello fellow cl members, i have a questions and need some advice. i have been wanting to upgrade my stock rims for either 19 or 20" rims. i kind have been looking at the lowenharts ld1 or some other one which i forgot wat the name of the rims were but anyways back to my question. i live in huntington beach and live near RMM ( rod millen motorsports) and plan on doing a big brake upgrade. which should i do first? get rims or get the brake upgrade. i want to do either one before i leave on a business trip to japan in the next few weeks where i will be gone for 3 weeks or more. which shall i go with first?????? any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks cl members
Old 11-14-03, 10:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

The RMM brake upgrade will not fit under your stock wheels, so do the wheel upgrade first. Make sure the new wheels are high disk fittment and will clear those big brakes.
Old 11-14-03, 10:41 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah what Dave said. No big brakes will fit in the stock 16s. The StopTech 332s may fit in the stock 17s, potentially with spacers. The RMMs will not. The RMMs will not fit many other wheels, whether they are 18s, 19s, or 20s. The key factor is the "high disc" fitment of the wheels like Dave said. So you'll need to decide on wheels first.

BTW, if you are getting larger wheels, I suggest doing the drop before the brakes.

Last edited by Neo; 11-14-03 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-14-03, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Make sure the wheels u get can fit Big brakes. What NEO and Dave said.

Old 11-15-03, 12:14 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

Default Should I do wheels or big brakes first?

thanks to all those that responded. so i guess i have to go with rims first. i just don't know which one to really go with. so many good looking styles. the biggest i would wanna go is 19". peeps say go 20s but i just don't like the ride quality even with a suspension upgrade. my friend has a sc400 on 20"s and its rough. so is my friends ls430. what are some suspension upgrades do u cl members have on your rides with either 18 , 19 or 20 inch rims. and also does rmm make stuff for 2003 gs300 because i was looking on their site and everything was like for 1998-2002 gs. also any other brake upgrade manufactures out there that are good i would like to check them out.
Old 11-15-03, 12:34 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all depends on your budget:

1. low, ~$5-700, Espelir Springs, or JDM springs from japan, +L-tuned shocks, or Bilsteins shocsk

2. mid to high : coilovers, Bilsteins PSS, teins(flex or CS), HKS..

Wheels:

19 and or 20s looked GREAT, 18s are little small(for the GS)..BUT more practical

www.work-wheels.co.jp

www.rayswheels.co.jp

www.arw.co.jp
Old 11-15-03, 12:39 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Should I do wheels or big brakes first?

Originally posted by aznxguy714
what are some suspension upgrades do u cl members have on your rides with either 18 , 19 or 20 inch rims. and also does rmm make stuff for 2003 gs300 because i was looking on their site and everything was like for 1998-2002 gs. also any other brake upgrade manufactures out there that are good i would like to check them out.
Yes, going to larger wheels will make the ride harsher but it also depends on the rest of the suspension (shocks/springs or coilovers, braces, ...). What else do they have on their set up?

As for brakes, I have not heard anything different between the 1998-2002 brakes vs the 2003 ones. As far as I know, the RMM ones (which are rebadged Supra TT ones) should work. If you want to look at other models, it depends on how much you want to spend. Some of the more popular ones are Rotora, StopTech, AP Racing, Brembos, and Endless. There are others but not as widely used. You can also get the SupraTT ones for less $ then the RMM ones. It just won't say RMM on it.
Old 11-15-03, 02:48 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

i never knew that the RMM were rebatch supra TT brakes....but now that i think about it...they do look EXACTLY the same. I guess u really do learn new things everyday.
Old 11-15-03, 05:37 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

Default Should I do wheels or big brakes first?

hey cl members thanks for the response. the more info the better. as for budget i have no budget. watever it takes to make my ride look clean and nice is the only concern i have. my 03 gs300 needs some attention since i bought the car back in may and it is now november and the thing only has 600 miles. damn work and business trips are keeping me away from my baby hahahahahahaha. oh wells just means if i ever decide to get sometihng else than the car will have a good resale value with low miles. WELL ANYWAYS ANY MORE ADVICE FROM YOU LEXUS EXPERTS WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. SUSPENSION,RIMS,BIG BRAKES, EXHAUST, ENGINE UPGRADE. ETC ETC ETC. THIS IS THE FIRST CAR I REALLY OWNED. HAVE ALWAYS DRIVEN AN SUV SUCH AS 95 LAND CRUISER, 2000 NAVIGATOR, TO MY 03 GS300 AND OF COURSE MY ****TY COMPANY CAR 01 HONDA CIVIC. SO WHAT SETUP TO GO WITH IS SOMETHING I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT. ALL I COULD DO IS HAVE A PUZZLED LOOK WHEN IT COME TO THIS STUFF. HAHAHAHAHAHHA LATES CL MEMBERS BACK TO WORK I GO. LUNCH TIME IS OVER.
Old 11-15-03, 11:39 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default capital letters

get rid of the capital letters please. its considered as shouting. thank you
Old 11-15-03, 12:23 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

thank you for your input 3dog but if you don't like it than don't read my post and go on to another please thank you very much. hahahahahahahahahahahahahha
Old 11-15-03, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

get wheels first. with 19s or 20s, you are going to get harsher ride for sure no matter what, that's just how it is. but you have to be very careful when getting wheels, coz' you have to make sure the brakes will fit under it later on. it's not that easy sometimes.
Old 11-15-03, 02:50 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice attitude i really like the hahahahahahahahahahahaha you're the one asking for advice. sorry if you didn't like my advice.
Old 11-15-03, 03:15 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by aznxguy714
thank you for your input 3dog but if you don't like it than don't read my post and go on to another please thank you very much. hahahahahahahahahahahahahha
Not only is it considered shouting but it makes the post dificult to read. Just FYI
Old 11-16-03, 12:09 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

hey 3dog i asked for advice on lexus parts not how my typing was. hahahahahahahahaha and the person who said it makes it difficult to read. well go get ur eyes checked cause i can read it fine. hahahaha just playin.

Quick Reply: Should I do wheels or big brakes first?