Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I love the Daizen Bushings!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-03, 03:09 PM
95sc300t
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not notice a harsher ride, or more noise from doing the rear's. The car does not squat as much under initial acceleration as much, but that is due to the Supra Twin Turbo springs/shocks I'm sure.

Once I finally do the turbo system, I will prefer having the tighter suspension, and consider the noise a necessary evil for a 500+ horsepower car.
Old 12-21-03, 03:14 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

sounds excellent!,wish you the best on that project.
i'm going to have those bushings installed including the camber kit
Old 12-22-03, 07:17 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
yeah but is the ride in the rear harsh after doing the upper rear bushings?
Yes the ride is harsh...even TM Engineering advised me against doing any of the top bushings if i wanna keep somewhat of my lexus ride...

CEO

P.S. "NEXT " you still got that steering wheel.....
Old 12-28-03, 03:54 AM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,

This is an interesting thread. I had the front Daizens put in (upper and lower) and at the same time did the shocks and springs (one inch drop). The car corners great, but the ride can be a bit jolting or bouncy on irregular road surfaces. It is not the smooth rolling bounce feel you get in a car that is too soft, but a bunch of small jolts in different directions. Although I do like the performance characteristics, if I were to do it all over again, I would give up some of the performance for a smoother ride. I would be willing to spend a few hundred more to soften it up a bit, but I don't want to drop any big $ here (i.e. I'd prefer to stay on the lower side of $500). Any suggestions?

Here is the configuration for my '93 SC400:
Bushings - Daizen Front (upper and lower), part# S1-2002, Rear is stock
- Daizen Sway Bar Bushing Set, part# S1-2008
Springs - Eibach Pro Kit, Part# 8230.140
Shocks - Tokico, Front-HU3452, Rear HU3453
Tires - 16" Pontonza S03 on stock rims
Installation done by TM Engineering

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-28-03, 08:29 AM
95sc300t
Driver

The only suggestion I'd put out, is to just replace the uppers with stock arms, which will be right in the $500 range. The hard ride probably comes from the upgraded shocks & springs, so you would need to go back to stock to relieve the jostling ride. Performance will almost always loose some of the comfort, so...
Old 12-28-03, 10:40 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok question for you guys maybe you might know this Ryan. I have a 98 Sc400 with 75k on it and I get a slight vibration at highway speeds and a noticable poping in the front end when going slow speeds or turning at slow speeds.

I bought the following to freshen up my ride and give it some more performance feel
Bushings - Daizen Front (upper and lower) S1-2002A
Daizen Sway Bar Bushing Set S1-2008A

I am running 18" Moda R6's with 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear

My question is what to do since I haven't started I am torn as what to do and or replace now. I haven't gotten into the car to see exactly what is bad but I don't want to replace everything and ruin the cars ride. If I just do the sway bar bushings and the lower control arms will I be better off. I guess I really need to see what all bushings are bad on the car too.
Old 12-29-03, 07:33 AM
meddle
Rookie

After seeing everyones experiences, Im leaning toward someones suggestion of using the supra lower control arms. They are supposed to be a direct fit, can anyone confirm this? I have a '95 sc300.
Old 12-29-03, 09:07 PM
Ryan
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by 98LexSc400
Ok question for you guys maybe you might know this Ryan. I have a 98 Sc400 with 75k on it and I get a slight vibration at highway speeds and a noticable poping in the front end when going slow speeds or turning at slow speeds.

I bought the following to freshen up my ride and give it some more performance feel
Bushings - Daizen Front (upper and lower) S1-2002A
Daizen Sway Bar Bushing Set S1-2008A

I am running 18" Moda R6's with 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear

My question is what to do since I haven't started I am torn as what to do and or replace now. I haven't gotten into the car to see exactly what is bad but I don't want to replace everything and ruin the cars ride. If I just do the sway bar bushings and the lower control arms will I be better off. I guess I really need to see what all bushings are bad on the car too.
I think you should really analyze what is going on first before you do anything. It could be your alignment or even a tire that is causing most of the problem. A good alignment will cost about $80. The $30 jobs usually "set toe and let it go." I had a good job done recently and adjusting the castor made a huge difference in vibration. In general, I would probably not replace the upper control arm. Also realize that the Tokico/Eibach combo will make the ride harder with the one inch drop. You might want to consider a softer spring/shock setup that will give you the same drop. I am not an expert in this category, so you'll have to reasearch it from here (some like Tein coilovers). There is a similar thread going in this section now and I will post there and it might help some of your questions.
Old 12-30-03, 03:00 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When people replaced their lower arms with the Supra ones, did you use NA or TT ones? is there a difference? Also, are the rear arms interchangeable?
Old 12-31-03, 12:01 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked for TT parts,but not sure if there's a difference,the front sways are the same between na, and TT.
The rear control arms are different,they're longer on the SC, but I've heard that you can use the entire rear subframe from a Supra, which would allow the use of the Supra parts.
I've thought about that one, would get the brakes and all.
Old 01-02-04, 09:26 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Default a-arms

Hi, I just finished putting Supra NA front lower control arms on my stock 92 SC300. I paid about $190.00 each for them, Lexus dealer wanted about $560 each for theirs. Holy sh@@#$%^t! The Supra lower front a-arms are a purfect fit. Did the work myself, just a shade tree mechanic, with simple tools.Ride is firmer than the Lexus bushings(should soften with age), alittle more rattle(very little actually), but more sporty. Diffinitely not as firm as I suspect the Diazen bushing are. I highly recommend this change over ,unless you have the big bucks and want the original verrrrrry smooth Lexus ride. I see no reason why these would not fit on the 95SC. In my opinion, Supra NA lower front control a-arms are the way to fix those worn out Lexus front lower control a-arms at a fraction of the cost of Lexus parts!
Old 01-02-04, 09:32 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

what about ordering lexus parts through the toyota dealership? any cheaper?
Old 01-02-04, 10:52 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota dealership would not order Lexus parts.
Old 01-03-04, 03:24 AM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

jay marks toyota does at a cheaper price than the lexus dealer...i was wondering if all other toyota dealerships did this. maybe all you would need is a part #
Old 01-06-04, 03:19 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

After driving to school the first time, there is an overpass that changes from one highway to another. Before I did the bushing change, the maximum speed I could do before the tires would squeal a bit would be 36 mph (on my speedo). After I did the bushings, I could do it at 41 mph. This is on Pirelli P4000's? 215/60 r15, and the tire pressures should have been the same (I do about 33 front, 29 rear). Now I'm not sure if it is accurate to say that the bushings did this because the temperature (of the road and air) is a lot colder than before. And tire squealing doesn't mean you're at the limit, it just means you're pretty close to it. When the tires screech, I believe you're at the limit.

Quick Reply: I love the Daizen Bushings!!