Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Mechanic recommendation in NC/SC inc. DIYer, on the side, etc. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 09:18 AM
Idrive70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic recommendation in NC/SC inc. DIYer, on the side, etc. Thank you.

Hi,

I am new here. This is a great community and I've learned enough to do some modest DIY on my SC 400.

Please advise. I'm seeking a mechanic. Ideally, someone who is qualified and "works on the side" or has a home shop, etc. would be ideal. I'm just aiming to keep the costs reasonable as I can't afford "dealer" pricing. Please offer suggestions from someone in the Charlotte vicinity. I'm willing to drive a bit, so Rock Hill, SC, etc. is fine. Anyway, I would welcome the chance to find an honest mechanic who is experienced with older SC 400/LS400 as I know they have their own "quirks."

My car has a number of minor issues, but right now I'm experiencing the following:

1) Hesitation. This just started. And, you can feel it and even hear it through the muffler--you know the slight sputter and shake. It's driveable for certain.

2) It's had an intermittent problem revving up/down/up/down. Might show up every two weeks, might go away in 5 minutes, might stay for hours. VERY intermittent.

Anyway, I would welcome the chance to find an honest mechanic that is experienced with the SC 400/LS400 as I know they have their own "quirks."

FWIW, I don't drive a lot of miles per year and in the last two years I've done the following:
DIY full tune up--about 2 yrs ago inc. plugs, rotor, dist., wires, although two old wires remain
driver side ignition coil about 2 years ago
passenger side ignition coil = just a few days ago
head gaskets, replaced at time of tune up
cleaned air filter
fuel filter
removed throttle body [caked in carbon], cleaned thoroughly, re-installed; about 2 years ago
transmission drain and refill---still a slow leak
new PCV valve--a few weeks ago
AIC--removed it, cleaned it thoroughly, re-installed
MAF--tried to clean it; it "died" and replaced with a used unit. Seemed to work fine.
TPS--never touched it. But, I've read it can impact issues described.

I think that's all that could be relevant to the issues mentioned. I also have a slow oil pan leak.
I added a can of Berryman fuel treatment as a "just in case."

Thank you.