Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

Place to watch the May 5 boxing match near Savannah, GA? Anybody know the area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 08:56 AM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Place to watch the May 5 boxing match near Savannah, GA? Anybody know the area?

Am heading down to the track at Roebling Road (just outside of Savannah) this weekend but really, really want to catch the Mayweather/De La Hoya match on Saturday night. It's pay per view so probably only a larger bar will carry it but I have never been to the area so don't know where to start looking. Google has let me down. The hotel is near the airport fwiw and though I tried calling the hotel, they were no help at all.

any suggestions?
Old 05-02-07, 06:18 PM
turboale
Rookie

hmmm, were you wanting a place near the airport or in Savannah?
Old 05-02-07, 07:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Our hotel is near the airport in "Pooler", so would prefer close to that - but would be willing to drive if there is no other option or a significantly better venue.

THANK YOU!
Old 05-03-07, 09:36 AM
turboale
Rookie

How many people are going to be with you? We could have a cookout/meet and greet at my place if you wanted and there aren't toooo many people. I have a pool and plenty of parking/seating. I'm also about to pull the trigger on a new TV (leaning towards 61" Samsung). This would be a good reason to go ahead and get it.
As for finding a place up in pooler, I rarely go up there. I wouldn't even know where to start. If you don't want to do the cook-out I'll make a point to check out the TV selection downtown next time I'm out. We have a Wild Wing and Locos that will probably be showing it. Locos actually has a projector, I'll see if they are planning on showing it if you want.
Old 05-03-07, 09:40 AM
turboale
Rookie

Just realized its cinco-de-mayo...
Everywhere is going to be pretty crazy downtown. Whats going on at Roebling? PCA event or something? Do you guys know a guy named Larry Sheldrick? He is a PCA instructor...
Old 05-03-07, 10:11 AM
KristaP
Empress of the Known Universe

turboale - that sounds mighty interesting. There would only be 2 of us plus up to 3 others from caravan but dont know if theyre boxing fans. While I'd hate to be the :evilgrin: inspiration for a cool new tv, I think it sounds great if you're sure. The ppv will be on me! Are you far from Pooler?

Yes, it's a PCA event if you'd like to come and see what it's all about. We'll be there on track Fri - Sun. I might know Larry by face & conversation but the last name doesn't ring a bell.
Old 05-03-07, 12:49 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

http://www.cerpca.com/DERegistration.html is the event we're attending (not our PCA region so we don't know many people).

We'd be perfectly happy with a small TV so no need to buy a new one on such short notice... take your time and do you research! PPV won't come across in high def anyway.

Many thanks for your kind offer, no hard feelings if it doesn't work out for any reason.
Old 05-03-07, 02:53 PM
turboale
Rookie

I'm glad this came up..
I'm gonna throw a small-ish party! I just moved into a new place, its cinco de mayo, its my buddys b.day, the fight... definitely party worthy. Show up whenever, the pool will be open. Food will probably be served at 7pm and the fight goes on at 9pm. I don't think I'll have the new tv yet but my current will do. I'm on Whitemarsh isle... Its probably 30min to your hotel. That work?

Larry is actually in NC, usually at Road ATL and Mid-Ohio... He has the 993-GTR bodied race car he built from a tub. He put it into the wall a year or two ago when he was getting the bugs worked out on it (2nd time out). It was a sad sad day when it came back. I grew up in Asheville and he has been my mechanic since I got my first car. My mom still lives there so I'm up there often. You guys are from Charlotte if I'm remembering correctly?

Larry's car:

oh yeah, is the GS making it down too or just the C2?

Last edited by turboale; 05-03-07 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-03-07, 03:01 PM
ddrewboy
Driver School Candidate

Guys,

I live in Richmond Hill (20 mins south of Savannah) and may be in town this weekend. Maybe, we can meet up.

Drew
Old 05-03-07, 03:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by turboale
oh yeah, is the GS making it down too or just the C2?
They'll both be home nestled in the garage. The C2 has retired from track duty and the GS is now more of a show car. We'll be bringing Krista's "old" track car a BMW E30 (just bought her a E36 M3 to replace but it isnt quite ready). I'll be hauling stuff in our LS430 Ultra so I can hang out in the back seat with the massaging & reclining seats to watch movies during the day when I get bored of watching cars.

PM me address info and I'll see if its in my Nav, let us know what we can bring and we intend on definitely paying for the PPV!

Thank you!

ps, that is one beautiful 993
Old 05-07-07, 06:05 PM
turboale
Rookie

It was great meeting you guys last night, I apologize about not getting to see the fight but we have the fires to thank for that... Next time your in town we will have to go for a photo shoot with the new track beast! We went out for a photo shoot today with the 337 and got some great ones on the abandoned race track. Got a crazy one of the 4Runner hitting a big puddle... I'll put them up in the digital photo section when I'm done touching them up. I hope you guys had a easy trip back and keep in touch!
Old 05-11-07, 06:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by turboale
It was great meeting you guys last night, I apologize about not getting to see the fight but we have the fires to thank for that... Next time your in town we will have to go for a photo shoot with the new track beast! We went out for a photo shoot today with the 337 and got some great ones on the abandoned race track. Got a crazy one of the 4Runner hitting a big puddle... I'll put them up in the digital photo section when I'm done touching them up. I hope you guys had a easy trip back and keep in touch!
Many thanks again for the hospitality (and the great food too!) Austin. Krista and I really appreciate all the effort to get a signal, lol.

Yeah, I'd like to see that - one crazy beast! I got some cool wet track shots at Roebling Road on Sunday too but I'm sure nothing like the big puddle pic
Old 05-11-07, 06:32 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Fires? I hope nothing bad happened.
Old 05-14-07, 09:32 AM
turboale
Rookie

I believe it started from artillery testing in south central GA... we are still seeing smoke...