Southeast For events in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

3rd Annual Tail of the Dragon 2004 Drive & Meet in NC/TN Great Smoky Mtns on 8/20-22

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-04, 06:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Third Annual Tail of the Dragon 2004 Drive & Meet in NC/TN Great Smoky Mountains

Folks we've had a number of threads about the Third Annual Tail of the Dragon meet this year and I thought I'd start an 'official' meet thread with all the details at the top and capture signups here. Hameed has graciously volunteered to updated the www.lexusdragon.com website again this year. If you know anyone who needs assistance with web design and consulting, I'd highly recommend him!

The date of the meet is August 20 - 22, 2004 in the scenic Smoky Mountains of NC and TN.

Please check www.lexusdragon.com for complete details on this trip. Much of the information is still last from last year's meet, but the details will be roughly the same. The menu at the top of the site will give you details on:
- general meet info
- detailed timed schedule
- routes and maps
- lodging and how to get our discount
- sponsors and prizes
- suggested packing list
- who is coming

Help still needed:
1) I need help contacting vendors who can help sponsor our meet by donating any prizes / giveaways.
2) I'm going to contact a small group to review the safety rules

I did a quick and dirty flyer folks can use in the interim of our creating something better to hand out. The link is to a higher res version than the one I'm showing in the thread.

http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/alb...yer2004_v2.gif

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-10-04 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 06:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Lodging

in case you didn't click on www.lexusdragon.com here is the information about the hotel and our group discount.

I spoke with 'Sue' this morning at the Robbinsville Microtel and we're all set. We have the same block of 25 rooms we had last year (can go up or down from that as needed). If this meet blows up (as it might) we need to pretty quickly expand that... so please post as you make your reservations so we keep an eye on how many rooms we have left.

We have the same 10% discount as last year and their rates are the same. All discounts they offer are 10% including AAA, etc.

Single queen rooms with discount are $53.95
Double queen rooms with discount are $58.45
Suites are $71.95 (have 1 queen, 1 sleeper sofa and mini-kitchen) with discount
The Jacuzzi suite is $80.95 with discount.

In the block of rooms I've reserved all the suites for our group as well as the Jacuzzi suite and a mixed bag of the regular rooms. Just ask for which one you want when you call, and request the 'Lexus' club discount. 1-828-479-6772 is their number.

http://www.lexusdragon.com/lodging.html has the details on how to register / contact the hotel directly and more details on other lodging options. We want August 20 (Friday) checking out Sunday August 22. Discounted rates are still good if you arrive Friday and leave Saturday or just stay Saturday night. Sue is the lady I spoke with who was setting up the discount. I've already made my reservation for one of the suites.

While the Microtel will take reservations without a credit card guarantee, I highly recommend you go ahead and confirm it. If they happen to sell out of rooms that weekend, they may bump those that are not confirmed for those that are guaranteed with a card. If you end up backing out of the trip, just cancel the reservation 24 hours before the weekend and you have no penalty or charges.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-10-04 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 06:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Attendees signed up so far.

If you're adding your name to the list of attendees, please reply to this thread (copy the names), add a new number and put yourself down!

NOTE Please let me know if you are coming with a guest that will be joining us during lunch for the day of the meet, etc by indicating +1 (or more). Also, please post when you've confirmed your hotel as well. That's when I *really* start to count you as likely for coming to the meet .

This is a Lexus-focused event, but inviting 'friends and family' is OK. Most prizes will be for our Lexus meet participants.

1) DaveGS4 - Charlotte, GS4 (hotel reserved)
2) KNSX - Charlotte, Acura NSX (DaveGS4's girlfriend)
3) TomTNC - Charlotte, GS4
4) Clif - Charlotte, E46 M3 (hotel reserved)
5) Dex - Charlotte, M Coupe (hotel reserved)
6) Jeff - Charlotte, Porsche GT3 (hotel reserved)
7) jiggafett - Florida - IS3 (hotel reserved)
8) jruhi4 - Florida - IS3 (hotel reserved)
9) Johnp66 - Greenville - GS4 (hotel reserved)
10) VVT-I - Atlanta - GS4 (hotel reserved)
11) Blackdiamond - Atlanta - GS4 (hotel reserved)
12) amy011079 - Atlanta - IS3 (hotel reserved)
13) OLT - Atlanta? - SC4 or 325 (hotel reserved)
14) jmecbr900 - Atlanta - GS4 (hotel reserved)
15) cdawg - Atlanta, IS3
16) 1sicklex - Atlanta, riding with VVti (hotel reserved)
There are MANY other folks I think will come, but I haven't seen them post about it. If you see them please ask them to confirm their attendance:

Bitkahuna
Freelance
Kaygee
Jazziz
AZN Lex
Legendary SC
Brendan

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-11-04 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 06:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Help still needed

I could use some help planning and preparing for the event as described below. Please PM me if you're able to contribute!

Help still needed for planning this event:

1) I need help contacting vendors who can help sponsor our meet by donating prizes & giveaways.

2) I'm going to contact a small group to review the safety rule updates for this year's event -if you can pitch in on that I'd appreciate it. We may ask those reviewers be the 'team lead' for each of the groups during our Dragon drive.

3) For those folks who know the area well, I'd like some validation of route planning

4) Help organizing the caravans to the Dragon meet from various locations.

Dave, I'll help with #1, I'll talk to Steve Ganz, Hennessy Lexus, Meguiars, last years sponsors(off the top of my head) and anyone else willing to donate.

#4, with C-dawg, organizing the Florida folks on meeting us and having the FL, GA people ride up together (Like last year, 2 routes, the longer, scenic, amazing drive route and the shorter, more direct route).

Last edited by LexFather; 05-10-04 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 10:19 PM
LexFather

Default Pressed the wrong button

Dave, I'll help with #1, I'll talk to Steve Ganz, Hennessy Lexus, Meguiars, last years sponsors(off the top of my head) and anyone else willing to donate.

#4, with C-dawg, organizing the Florida folks on meeting us and having the FL, GA people ride up together (Like last year, 2 routes, the longer, scenic, amazing drive route and the shorter, more direct route).

Here is a GREAT site with up to date reading from people who ride it seemingly every weekend. Gives us all the updates.

http://www.dragaknee.com./

jruhi4, is promoting on IS.net (he's a mod there) and in talking to Freelance (another mod there), I believe he is coming again.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-10-04 at 10:21 PM.

Old 05-10-04, 10:28 PM
LexFather

The previous thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=117290

Last years WRITE-UP thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=dragon

Last Year's PICS!!
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...at=571&thumb=1

2 years ago Write-Up
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...n&pagenumber=1

2 years ago Pics

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...=519&password=

Last edited by LexFather; 05-10-04 at 10:42 PM.

Old 05-10-04, 11:27 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in.

Count me in to help in any way you see fit.
Old 05-10-04, 11:43 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 12 hour drive there is no joke.........

I'll see what I can do this year....
Old 05-11-04, 04:08 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Attendees signed up so far.

Originally posted by DaveGS4
1) DaveGS4 - Charlotte, GS4 (hotel reserved)
2) KNSX - Charlotte, Acura NSX (DaveGS4's girlfriend)
3) TomTNC - Charlotte, GS4
4) Clif - Charlotte, M3 (hotel reserved)
5) Dex - Charlotte, M Coupe (hotel reserved)
6) Jeff - Charlotte, GT3
7) jiggafett - Florida - IS3 (hotel reserved)
8) jruhi4 - Florida - IS3 (hotel reserved)
9) Johnp66 - Greenville - GS4 (hotel reserved)
10) VVT-I - Atlanta - GS4 (hotel reserved)
11) Blackdiamond - Atlanta - GS4 (hotel reserved)
12) amy011079 - Atlanta - IS3 (hotel reserved)
13) OLT - Atlanta? - SC4 or 325 (hotel reserved)
14) jmecbr900 - Atlanta - GS4 (hotel reserved)
15) cdawg - Atlanta, IS3
16) 1sicklex - Atlanta, riding with VVti (hotel reserved)
There are MANY other folks I think will come, but I haven't seen them post about it. If you see them please ask them to confirm their attendance:

Bitkahuna
Freelance
Kaygee
Jazziz
ANZ Lex
Legendary SC
Brendan
Can all of you please send me a current pic of your car (send it to hameed@prudensconsulting.com or info@lexusdragon.com ) with the information as noted on this page http://www.lexusdragon.com/confirmed_attendees.html ? I would like to update it as soon as possible.

Last edited by Hameed; 05-11-04 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-11-04, 07:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Oh, and we'll have a lot more BOOST at this meet with (at least) three supercharged GS400s . Last year we had two FI cars - Freelance's Turbo IS300 and FLex's turbo SC300 up from Florida.
Old 05-11-04, 07:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Oh, and we'll have a lot more BOOST at this meet with (at least) three supercharged GS400s . Last year we had two FI cars - Freelance's Turbo IS300 and FLex's turbo SC300 up from Florida.
Yes knowing that I can't make it, you had to rub it in?
Old 05-11-04, 08:20 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I'm going to be driving to Chgo for my parents 50th Wedding Anniv. for a 2 week cross country cruise and I'll be going thru there the week before (14th) and I would have definitely made this a stop.

Timing is everything. My loss.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 05-11-04 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-11-04, 09:11 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by WhiteTiger
Damn, I'm going to be driving to Chgo for my parents 50th Wedding Anniv. for a 2 week cross country cruise and I'll be going thru there the week before (14th) and I would have definitely made this a stop.

Timing is everything. My loss.
I'm sure that driving cross country you can find a delay somewhere that will hold you up a week or so.
Old 05-11-04, 09:34 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
I'm sure that driving cross country you can find a delay somewhere that will hold you up a week or so.
Unfortunately the trip includes stops in Charleston just to relax for a few days by the ocean, Cinn for an overnight stay and a Reds game, then Chgo for 4 days (where I am from), then St Louis for a Cardinals game, then New Orleans for 3 days of some mayhem and partying, then Tallahassee for an overnight (don't want to drive all the way home from NO), then back to Ft. Laud the next day.

Although, I am going to check if I do the trip in reverse order, but it will still be tough. We'll see.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 05-11-04 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-11-04, 03:35 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure KayGee will be there. I just talked to him today at the dealership and he said he will be there. I told him we'll stay at Microtel and he need to hurry up and make a reservation.

Quick Reply: 3rd Annual Tail of the Dragon 2004 Drive & Meet in NC/TN Great Smoky Mtns on 8/20-22