Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Introducing Infinite Scroll

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 02:23 PM
IB Jason
IB Staff

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Introducing Infinite Scroll

Introducing a new, simpler way to read Club Lexus: Infinite Scroll! Now, instead of needing to click "Next" in a thread to keep reading additional posts, you will see a layout that automatically loads the next page of a thread as you scroll. We've also updated a few other parts of the layout so they remain easily accessible while you read, including access to thread search, a button to jump to the first unread post, and a Quick Reply box that lets you type a reply while scrolling through the thread content.

In tandem with Infinite Scroll, we also rolled out a revised post editor that lets you see your post formatting changes in real time. For example, if you choose to bold your text, the text will appear in bold right in the editor - no need to submit or preview the post to see the change. Keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl + B for bolding are now supported, too. Additionally, the revised editor includes a combined photo and attachment uploader. The forum will know to embed image uploads into your post, and place all non-image files (PDFs, Word docs, etc.) as attachments at the bottom. You can even upload multiple file types at once and the forum will sort them on the fly.

We're happy to answer any questions you may have about the new functionality right here in this thread. If you would like to keep the standard thread view with separate pages, or remove the related threads that appear at a thread's end, head to your User CP's Edit Options page and simply disable “Infinite Scroll” or “Related Threads." Please note that these options only apply to the desktop version of Club Lexus.
The following 10 users liked this post by IB Jason:
bunmango (03-31-18), EddieK05 (05-25-18), gpb127 (05-30-18), JonFES330 (05-29-18), nmlexus4gs (04-05-18), SteveCraig (03-13-18), Tank (04-12-18), TheSnowman (06-15-18), Viru (03-13-18), winglesss (03-22-18) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-12-18, 07:04 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I appreciate all of the hard work all of you do and the fact that CL is the best run car site on the web!!!

it may take a little getting accustomed to using the infinite scrolling. Is there a way to turn it off?
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
lesz (03-19-18), sha4000 (03-13-18)
Old 03-12-18, 07:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Good question Bg. I would like to know this too. I seem to maybe be having strange problems with it.
Old 03-12-18, 07:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I appreciate all of the hard work all of you do and the fact that CL is the best run car site on the web!!!

it may take a little getting accustomed to using the infinite scrolling. Is there a way to turn it off?
As in the last paragraph of the first post, just go to your user control panel https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...do=editoptions

Scroll down to ""Infinite Scroll" and click the disable button
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (03-12-18)
Old 03-13-18, 09:48 AM
IB Jason
IB Staff

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

We're always looking to improve our sites and their functionality, so if you don't mind me asking, are there any specific issues you ran into with infinite scroll that led you to disable it?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Old 03-13-18, 08:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I really dislike the new format.
The following 3 users liked this post by 97-SC300:
Carfan94 (09-14-20), lesz (03-19-18), Luxor (04-30-18)
Old 03-14-18, 10:18 AM
biggame
Lead Lap

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Is there a way to disable this feature?
Old 03-14-18, 11:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by biggame
Is there a way to disable this feature?
Hi, covered in post #1 and #4 right above yours
Old 03-15-18, 11:03 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

how am I supposed to get back to the forum after I have made a post in a thread? the old button is gone.
Old 03-16-18, 03:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by DennisMik
how am I supposed to get back to the forum after I have made a post in a thread? the old button is gone.
sorry, not sure I’m following. What was the button called / where was it located and what did it do?

Could you please turn off the infinite scroll feature as described above? Then you should be able to still find it to use and perhaps take a screen shot
Old 03-16-18, 10:04 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveGS4

sorry, not sure I’m following. What was the button called / where was it located and what did it do?

Could you please turn off the infinite scroll feature as described above? Then you should be able to still find it to use and perhaps take a screen shot
Sorry that I did not know the proper name. The button is called "Forum Jump". See photo.

As I have been putzing with the revised screen layout, I have learned something about the forum jump feature in the lower right corner (see photo). It doesn't work like the old one. Nor does it work properly. When I click on the revised forum jump button, it opens a box with forum names. It has all the forum names, but since the box is not big enough to display all the names, one must scroll down if the desired forum name is not showing. In my case I am usually in the 2nd gen RX forum. When I scroll down to the 2nd gen RX line, it is highlighted, but it is grayed out. If I click on the name, the highlighting changes color to blue (my color schema) and that is all. No forum jump, just me growing old looking while looking at it. This is what prompted my original post.

This morning I discovered something about the new forum jump. If I click on a different forum name other than the highlighted one, it does the jump.

Besides getting it to work correctly, could you make the box that has all the names come up with the current forum that I am in displayed so that I don't have to scroll? In my opinion, a so called "improved" anything that makes the user do more steps to accomplish the same task is not an improvement.

Old Forum Jump Button

New Forum Jump Button
Old 03-16-18, 10:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks - very helpful.

When I tried to replicate (I don't usually use that feature) I do get a popup with all the names fully spelled out, and the forum that I am in is highlighted.

Can you confirm yours doesn't do that (and if not, what device / OS / browser are you using)?

The one thing it doesn't do is center the popup with the forums on the forum you're in, so if you were further down in the forum list and just wanted to go up one level, you'd have to scroll more.

d
Old 03-18-18, 08:11 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the update/upgrade of the Forum software.

I particularly like the 1) infinite scrolling, 2) the ability to click and go back to the thread list after just scrolling up slightly instead of all the way to the top of the page, and 3) the ability to click on the View First Unread button in a thread I am following.

Thanks again for your efforts.
Old 03-18-18, 09:38 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

uh oh, you have given us something we didn't ask for, nor wanted. How do we disable Infinite Scroll? Please give us this option.
Old 03-18-18, 09:50 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Thanks - very helpful.

When I tried to replicate (I don't usually use that feature) I do get a popup with all the names fully spelled out, and the forum that I am in is highlighted.

Can you confirm yours doesn't do that (and if not, what device / OS / browser are you using)?

The one thing it doesn't do is center the popup with the forums on the forum you're in, so if you were further down in the forum list and just wanted to go up one level, you'd have to scroll more.

d
I am getting the pop up window with all the forum names when I click on the forum jump button. Since I am usually in the RX forum, I have to scroll down to see that name. The forum name is highlighted in gray and when I click on it, the highlight will turn to blue and nothing else happens. It does not do the forum jump.

I am using a windows pc, running Windows XP using Google Chrome browser.

Quick Reply: Introducing Infinite Scroll