Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

why does ev chat have like button but car chat does not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 09:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,464 Posts
Default ev chat like button

glad to see there's a like button (finally) for posts in ev chat, but will that soon be removed since it wasn't allowed in car chat (for no good reason that i could see).
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (06-25-23)
Old 07-04-23, 02:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default why does ev chat have like button but car chat does not?

inquiring minds want to know.
Old 07-04-23, 06:02 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

I think it is a great idea to get the EV forum built up.

We have many Club Lexus members who own EV's and would love to see them post their ideas and knowledge more often.
​​
Old 07-05-23, 06:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
I think it is a great idea to get the EV forum built up.

We have many Club Lexus members who own EV's and would love to see them post their ideas and knowledge more often.
​​
?? i have no issue with a like button at all, but why should the ev chat forum have it on posts, while car chat does not?
Old 07-07-23, 08:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,322 Posts

The like button was consistently abused to constantly 'pile on' negative commentary in Car Chat.

Giving it a try in EV chat to see if the issue recurs. If it does, we'll likely turn it off there as well. Haven't seen it happen yet.
Old 07-09-23, 09:54 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with the piling on aspect of it. I've kind of already seen it with the EV crowd in that forum. Certain folks love to automatically press the like button any time some sort of electric vehicle article is mentioned that reinforces their opinion.
Old 07-10-23, 12:27 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I agree with the piling on aspect of it. I've kind of already seen it with the EV crowd in that forum. Certain folks love to automatically press the like button any time some sort of electric vehicle article is mentioned that reinforces their opinion.
I wish I can like everybodys posts but if I do that, then the like button looses all meaning, so I can't do that.

I also tend to hit the like button if I agree or feel someone has added something meaningful over and above, AND this goes for model forums too.

People appreciate when they get some feedback that their ideas matter but I dont think it should be a tool for cliqish or cultish behavior.
Or- for reinforcing negativity as mentioned above.

Btw friend, you got some likes in EV chat too.
Spoiler

Old 07-16-23, 08:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
The like button was consistently abused to constantly 'pile on' negative commentary in Car Chat.

Giving it a try in EV chat to see if the issue recurs. If it does, we'll likely turn it off there as well. Haven't seen it happen yet.
i see nothing wrong with 'likes' to 'negative commentary'. if the negative commentary is trolling or violates rules, then flush it.

plus if a lot of people like a post, maybe it has a valid point.

but regardless, ev chat and car chat (which should be renamed ice chat since that's what it is only allowed to be now) have now predictably become polarized echo chambers with mostly self-congratulatory posts about being on the right 'side'.
signdetres (05-25-24)
Old 07-16-23, 01:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-11-24, 06:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so you're still not going to change your position that car chat should continue to not have a like button on posts?
unlike every other social platform in existence?
i don't see how there's any 'pile on' aspect at all. so what if a post is liked by a bunch of people.
and again, if the post violates rules, torch it so none of those renegade likes will be seen.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
Margate330 (05-13-24), signdetres (05-25-24)
Old 05-13-24, 11:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks to awesome moderation, seems the trouble makers have moved on.

My like button trigger finger is ready to go if needed! Haha

Old 05-14-24, 08:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so you're still not going to change your position that car chat should continue to not have a like button on posts?
unlike every other social platform in existence?
i don't see how there's any 'pile on' aspect at all. so what if a post is liked by a bunch of people.
and again, if the post violates rules, torch it so none of those renegade likes will be seen.
Thanks for your feedback but still not currently considering making that change. The posts aren't necessarily breaking our forum rules so removing them isn't something we want to do.

Let me be more specific. Club Lexus is a primarily a Lexus owners and Lexus enthusiast community. Our Car Chat forum specifically has a heavy presence of former Lexus owners that are still active here (yourself formerly included in that group) that often are repetitively negative about their views of current Lexus vehicles, corporate direction etc. We also have a few members who were never Lexus owners whose MO is to promote other brands and post negative Lexus/Toyota content, always teetering on the edge of trolling but mostly within our rules. Nearly every negative Lexus / Toyota post gets piled on with 'likes' by these groups, adding visibly to the negative sentiment towards the brand this community is focused upon. I've made threads, posts, PMs and pleas trying to change that behavior with little permanent success. I understand you might not perceive that issue or even agree with it, but I do and I am trying to take actions to keep Club Lexus a place where Lexus owners and enthusiasts aren't constantly overwhelmed by negative Lexus sentiment.

Like buttons exist in most every other part of the community including the Lexus model discussion areas where you can welcome new members, thank others for their contributions, etc.. Feel free to use them there where they can be clicked as intended - positive reinforcement of a constructive post .

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-14-24 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 05:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

your approach is also blocking 'positive reinforcement of a constructive post' in car chat. i know you won't, but i think you should do a poll on it in car chat.
i also don't think the 15 year old post you referenced makes any difference either.
signdetres (05-25-24)
Old 05-15-24, 05:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Asking the same group in car chat that cause the concern would be entirely counter productive, lol.

I know you won’t leave this alone with the incessant bumping, nagging and snark so closing this request. I will continue to observe the tone in car chat and hope you and others shift away from the ongoing brand negativity. When that happens will absolutely look at reinstating the like feature. Until then just “use your words” for positive reinforcement of other member’s posts that you like, reply and tell them! Easy workaround.