Dashcam install in driver-side fuse panel

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 09:50 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Dashcam install in driver-side fuse panel

Hello everyone,

I don't want to reopen the handful of dashcam threads that are out there - but want to ask about some installation questions.
For those that installed a dashcam with a hardwire kit, how did you run the fusebox wire? Where did you tap into?
Bonus question: For those that also wired in the rear dashcam - how did you route the cable?

For reference, I have the Thinkware Q800 pro with the rear cam/hardwire kit ($350 CAD) - the U1000 wasn't worth it at $200 more.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
LStoneX (06-28-22)

Popular Reply

07-01-22, 12:08 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Finally did it!

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and decided it couldn't be so hard that I couldn't tackle it.

So I picked up my multimeter, grab a bunch of tools and went down with my dashcam. I decided how i was going to route the cables. I decided to use the fuse box under the driver side of the dash. I found there were a couple of fuse slots and chose to use those instead of tapping an existing guide; just to avoid any potential (though not likely) issues. Testing with the multimeter, I found that the slots marked below would do. The Red circled slot has power even when the car is off and the yellow circled slot only had power when the car was on.

That corresponds to these slots of you're looking at the fuse box cover. Red is for always on and blue is the one which is one only when the car is running.

Then I ran my cables, loosened the panel just to the left of the footwell to allow me some room to route the cable. Once you loosen it, there's a 10mm bolt which you can use for the ground cable.

Once grounded, it was just a matter of connecting my fuse taps to the wires and then plugging them in to those earlier identified slots. I was going to use 2 10A fuses but I ran out and had only one. So for the fuse tap that was connected to the always on, I used a 15A fuse. I might swap that out later for a 10A once I get some more fuses, but the 15A would have to do for now.

Then it was just a matter of tightening the lose panel and testing the camera. If you're for a dual channel solution, make sure to test your rear camera before you mount it so you don't put it upsidedown😜. The fuse box cover will not fit once the taps are in so remember to keep the cover in a safe place for future reference.

Here's what the fusebox looks like after installing the taps.

In all, because I kept on going up and down to find a tool or get some supplies, it ended up taking me about 90 mins. But if you have everything with you and are very organized, it shouldn't take more than an hour.

Even a novice with little experience can tackle this under 2 hours after watching a couple of YouTube videos. There's the official Thinkware video as well as a couple of other good ones that were very useful for me. Links to those videos are below.

For those thinking about Hardwiring your dashcam, I hope this helps. If you got any questions, feel free to reach out.

Old 06-28-22, 11:41 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
Hello everyone,

I don't want to reopen the handful of dashcam threads that are out there - but want to ask about some installation questions.
For those that installed a dashcam with a hardwire kit, how did you run the fusebox wire? Where did you tap into?
Bonus question: For those that also wired in the rear dashcam - how did you route the cable?

For reference, I have the Thinkware Q800 pro with the rear cam/hardwire kit ($350 CAD) - the U1000 wasn't worth it at $200 more.

Thanks!
Following as I also just ordered the thinkware F200 Pro and want to do the same
Ihave1cat (06-28-22)
Old 07-01-22, 12:08 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Default Finally did it!

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and decided it couldn't be so hard that I couldn't tackle it.

So I picked up my multimeter, grab a bunch of tools and went down with my dashcam. I decided how i was going to route the cables. I decided to use the fuse box under the driver side of the dash. I found there were a couple of fuse slots and chose to use those instead of tapping an existing guide; just to avoid any potential (though not likely) issues. Testing with the multimeter, I found that the slots marked below would do. The Red circled slot has power even when the car is off and the yellow circled slot only had power when the car was on.

That corresponds to these slots of you're looking at the fuse box cover. Red is for always on and blue is the one which is one only when the car is running.

Then I ran my cables, loosened the panel just to the left of the footwell to allow me some room to route the cable. Once you loosen it, there's a 10mm bolt which you can use for the ground cable.

Once grounded, it was just a matter of connecting my fuse taps to the wires and then plugging them in to those earlier identified slots. I was going to use 2 10A fuses but I ran out and had only one. So for the fuse tap that was connected to the always on, I used a 15A fuse. I might swap that out later for a 10A once I get some more fuses, but the 15A would have to do for now.

Then it was just a matter of tightening the lose panel and testing the camera. If you're for a dual channel solution, make sure to test your rear camera before you mount it so you don't put it upsidedown😜. The fuse box cover will not fit once the taps are in so remember to keep the cover in a safe place for future reference.

In all, because I kept on going up and down to find a tool or get some supplies, it ended up taking me about 90 mins. But if you have everything with you and are very organized, it shouldn't take more than an hour.

Even a novice with little experience can tackle this under 2 hours after watching a couple of YouTube videos. There's the official Thinkware video as well as a couple of other good ones that were very useful for me. Links to those videos are below.

For those thinking about Hardwiring your dashcam, I hope this helps. If you got any questions, feel free to reach out.

The following 13 users liked this post by LStoneX:
450hPlus (07-01-22), a2023LC500 (12-18-23), dklanecky1 (07-02-22), FastFord (07-01-22), hintonwood (07-01-22), Ihave1cat (07-01-22), itsadavy (11-14-22), Jubbrwocky (11-14-22), NX450Guy (03-31-24), nxbacon (12-13-22), SenorValas (07-02-22), ViMat (08-25-22), zanewyn (07-01-22) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-01-22, 01:03 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Hey not planning to do this but...Great write up! Thank you for posting....

Happy Canada Day!
LStoneX (07-01-22)
Old 07-01-22, 03:06 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FastFord
Hey not planning to do this but...Great write up! Thank you for posting....

Happy Canada Day!
Happy Canada Day to you too! Hope the weather is good where you are. I'm off to enjoy a great BBQ in the park😜🤪
Old 07-01-22, 04:03 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Hot and humid in Ontario. Doing the same mmm BBQ ! Enjoy.
Old 08-24-22, 06:56 PM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LStoneX

Thinkware official Hardwiring video

Thinkware Hardwiring Kit

How to hardwire your dashcam

I am planning to DIY the Viofo duo plus front and rear dashcams. It doesn't come with fuse wires, what size and type of fuse did you use?
Old 08-24-22, 07:02 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zanewyn
I am planning to DIY the Viofo duo plus front and rear dashcams. It doesn't come with fuse wires, what size and type of fuse did you use?
I used a 10A fuse and a15A fuse because I did not have any more 10A fuses. 10A should suffice.

I got a set of fuse taps from Canadian Tire (I'm in Canada). But there's several you can choose on Amazon.
zanewyn (08-25-22)
Old 08-25-22, 08:28 AM
zanewyn
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I used a 10A fuse and a15A fuse because I did not have any more 10A fuses. 10A should suffice.

I got a set of fuse taps from Canadian Tire (I'm in Canada). But there's several you can choose on Amazon.
Thanks @LStoneX Is the size micro fuse?
Old 08-25-22, 08:36 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zanewyn
Thanks @LStoneX Is the size micro fuse?
Yes, it's the micro size I used. That's probably what you'll need to use as well.

Last edited by LStoneX; 11-14-22 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-14-22, 06:59 AM
Jubbrwocky
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any effect on a hybrid system?

Testing with the multimeter, I found that the slots marked below would do. The Red circled slot has power even when the car is off and the yellow circled slot only had power when the car was on.
Thanks, really useful post, exactly what I was looking for. Did you come across any adverse effects on the batttery when connecting to the always-on slot? I'm doing the same with my Nextbase 622GW, and it says it has low voltage cutoff to make sure it doesn't run the battery down, but not sure how this affects hybrid system performance. Any observations would be most welcome!
Old 11-14-22, 07:06 AM
Ihave1cat
Intermediate

Received 139 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jubbrwocky
Thanks, really useful post, exactly what I was looking for. Did you come across any adverse effects on the batttery when connecting to the always-on slot? I'm doing the same with my Nextbase 622GW, and it says it has low voltage cutoff to make sure it doesn't run the battery down, but not sure how this affects hybrid system performance. Any observations would be most welcome!
my ThinkWare dashcam has been installed for just over 4 months now. Not a single issue. I’ve left it plugged in for an extended period of time as I was away for a conference, came back and all was fine.

I’ve also been using the Parking recording as well - and that seemed to not have any affect on the battery either.

I think it’s safe to say that it’s probably a non-issue. That being said, we just got our first snow, and time will tell how it works in sub-zero weather.
Old 11-14-22, 08:47 AM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ihave1cat
my ThinkWare dashcam has been installed for just over 4 months now. Not a single issue. I’ve left it plugged in for an extended period of time as I was away for a conference, came back and all was fine.

I’ve also been using the Parking recording as well - and that seemed to not have any affect on the battery either.

I think it’s safe to say that it’s probably a non-issue. That being said, we just got our first snow, and time will tell how it works in sub-zero weather.
Originally Posted by Jubbrwocky
Just like @Ihave1cat says, I've notice no adverse effects at all. I did go on a trip at the end of July with a different car and left the Lexus parked for about 8 days and there was no issues. I returned and the car started fine.

I've been using my Thinkware dashcam since I installed it early in July and no issues whatsoever. I even forget it's there. I'm only reminded it's there when the voice notifications for parking or regular recording start.

You'll have no problem whatsoever. The car is smart enough to manage the battery and power
Old 11-14-22, 02:34 PM
itsadavy
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks so much for this post…

Just wanted to confirm, it’s the purple highlighted fuses here right? And what size are does fuses? Will this work? Glarks 12V 5 Pack Car Add-A-Circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder with 120Pcs 2A 3A 5A 7.5 A 10A 15A 20A 25A 30A 35A Fuse Set, Total 130Pcs https://a.co/d/1NfDujQ

Thinkware official Hardwiring video

Thinkware Hardwiring Kit

How to hardwire your dashcam

Old 11-14-22, 02:41 PM
LStoneX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itsadavy
Thanks so much for this post…

Just wanted to confirm, it’s the purple highlighted fuses here right? And what size are does fuses? Will this work? Glarks 12V 5 Pack Car Add-A-Circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder with 120Pcs 2A 3A 5A 7.5 A 10A 15A 20A 25A 30A 35A Fuse Set, Total 130Pcs https://a.co/d/1NfDujQ

Yup, you've got the right slots marked. That set of fuse taps will also work. Get a set of micro fuse taps.

You're good to go.

Last edited by LStoneX; 11-14-22 at 02:53 PM.
itsadavy (11-14-22)

Quick Reply: Dashcam install in driver-side fuse panel