GX - 3rd Gen (2024-present) Discussion topics related to the 2024+ GX550 models

•• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 01:23 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion

I love my car even though it's big and clumsy. I gave feedback to Lexus..who knows if they will listen:

1. Keep it truck based and full time 4wd. Love the torque
2. Better gas mileage
3. Better brakes
4. Better handling
5. Size is perfect. leave the same

Any one heard of what will come out next?
Old 02-02-19, 02:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 823 Likes on 572 Posts

Comments in red with quote.

Originally Posted by frank69m
I love my car even though it's big and clumsy. I gave feedback to Lexus..who knows if they will listen:

1. Keep it truck based and full time 4wd. Love the torque Agree all wheel drive is a must
2. Better gas mileage Yes please
3. Better brakes Brakes seem fine to me but I am not a fan of the PANIC STOP mode
4. Better handling Meh, it is a BOF tank and does pretty well
5. Size is perfect. leave the same Wider body would be nice, It is tall and skinny

Any one heard of what will come out next? Seems to be the most frequently asked question here year after year and always speculation but no one knows for sure.
I would like more power out of the V8.
Old 02-05-19, 08:16 AM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Make an offroad edition available. Something like TRD or Trail Teams.
In which:

1- Remove the side steps
2- Include MTS and CC
3- Perhaps a mild lift for bigger tires (but not necessary)
4- Rubber floor mats (like the FJ Cruiser)
5- Lose the 3rd row seats.
6- Fold the mid-row seats all the way flat (or forward, like the Land Cruiser).

Last edited by cancruiser; 02-05-19 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 09:09 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m

1. Keep it truck based and full time 4wd. Love the torque - Yes, add direct injection from the LS460 for instant power bump and add the 8 speed.
2. Better gas mileage - Yes
3. Better brakes - slightly more biting force. Right not the travel is a little long but I guess it is to prevent too much nose dive?
4. Better handling - Its good enough as is since it is a BOF. Better handling means stiffer shocks and springs and the ride can be quite busy already. If anything I want a softer ride and I have no need to go barreling around corners at 100mph in a BOF suv
5. Size is perfect. leave the same - Maybe an inch longer so the 3rd row is just that much more useable.

Any one heard of what will come out next?
See above answers in bold
The following users liked this post:
tiadesiree (05-30-22)
Old 02-05-19, 10:17 AM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
1. Keep it truck based and full time 4wd. Love the torque - Yes, add direct injection from the LS460 for instant power bump and add the 8 speed.
See above answers in bold
Not really sure about GDI. Check all the sludge problems reported all over the place because of Direct Injection. With Direct Injection, the intake valves can no longer be kept clean because gasoline goes directly into the combustion chamber rather than around the valve, as is the case with regular fuel injection. May work good for a few years but then sludge will build up.
Bgw70 (06-21-23)
Old 02-05-19, 12:39 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Autonews updated their future product pipeline recently.

Lexus GX

Segment: Premium CUV
Powertrain(s): Gasoline
Freshen in 2020
The body-on-frame SUV, based on the Toyota 4Runner, has an aging platform but solid sales. A freshening should come for the 2020 or 2021 model year, followed by a redesign no sooner than 2022.
NEXT STAGE: Redesign in 2022

Which is also just a guess, however we're supposed to be getting the TNGA-F trucks in the next couple years, likely starting with Cruiser/LX, Tundra and Sequoia, and then GX, 4Runner, Tacoma later.

In theory we'll get a refresh, possibly in 2020 but no true 3rd gen for a few more years.
Old 02-06-19, 08:02 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cancruiser
Not really sure about GDI. Check all the sludge problems reported all over the place because of Direct Injection. With Direct Injection, the intake valves can no longer be kept clean because gasoline goes directly into the combustion chamber rather than around the valve, as is the case with regular fuel injection. May work good for a few years but then sludge will build up.
Toyota's DI uses dual injection to avoid having the usual DI related engine issues.
Old 02-06-19, 09:15 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

How about a larger range of color exteriors and interiors?
Why does EVERY manufacturer have about 3 shades of black, 3 shades of gray and 3 shades of white and MAYBE one or two other colors??? I know it's a hyperbole, but I'm not far off the mark.
What is with our monochromatic society? How about some deep greens, reds, blues, or even lighter shades? Heck, I personally love the tan color Toyota is using on their line of trucks!
Old 02-06-19, 01:28 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
How about a larger range of color exteriors and interiors?
Why does EVERY manufacturer have about 3 shades of black, 3 shades of gray and 3 shades of white and MAYBE one or two other colors??? I know it's a hyperbole, but I'm not far off the mark.
What is with our monochromatic society? How about some deep greens, reds, blues, or even lighter shades? Heck, I personally love the tan color Toyota is using on their line of trucks!
Blame dealers. Most cars in the U.S. are dealer orders, not customer factory orders, and dealers prefer to stock more neutral colors for most models because they're easier to sell and appeal to a wider audience. Some manufacturers, such as BMW, offer a massive selection of colors when custom ordered. In BMW's case, you can even pick a color they don't offer, submit it for approval, and hopefully get it painted from the factory. You'll definitely be paying a lot extra though.

With that said, the GX has a 4/3 split between neutrals and "colors". There is one shade of white, silver, gray, and black respectively, and then a deep red (Claret Mica), a brownish color (Fire Agate Pearl), and a blue (Nightfall Mica).

Last edited by bd5400; 02-06-19 at 01:33 PM.
greek74 (06-05-22)
Old 02-06-19, 05:56 PM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Ever look at the Mini Cooper, Camaro or Corvette options for colors and options??
Oh my gosh!!!
Funny how the more expensive the vehicle the fewer options, including color choices.
But regardless of the dealers and what they order, even in the U.S. Lexus build, there are not that many options.
Sometimes I feel like doing a vinyl wrap on the whole thing. But I just can't justify that much money for something so fluffy. Anyways, my wife likes the white on ecru combo. Happy wife, happy life. And my life is very happy...
Old 02-07-19, 04:45 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Toyota's DI uses dual injection to avoid having the usual DI related engine issues.
While I know that I have been a champion for the tech, I`m not too sure about that anymore...tbd.
Old 02-07-19, 04:51 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Definitely want one of the hybrid port/direct setups. I think there are some Toyota motors even from 2009 or 2010 that have the hybrid setup.

I have a CX-5 commuter that will probably need the walnut blast some time in it's future.
Old 02-08-19, 12:39 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I wonder what happened to the other thread by t4?
Old 02-08-19, 01:42 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

So just to recap the RUMOR REPORT:
2.5 generation refresh scheduled for MY2020 with intro coming up I assume

Will they update the touchscreen headunit to run a modified Current Gen Lexus Enform OS with AA/CP/ALexa?

Will the make Drivers Assist standard with Pedestrain Detection like the 4Runner's 2020 TSS
Toyota Safety Sense-P

Toyota Safety Sense P (TSS-P) is standard on every Sequoia grade. This advanced active safety suite bundles the Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection and Automatic Braking, Lane Departure Alert with Sway Warning System, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control with full stop technology, plus Automatic High Beams. Sequoia gets even more safety with Standard Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.

All Sequoia models are equipped with a dual-stage, advanced front air bag system, seat-mounted side airbags for the driver and front passenger, roll-sensing side curtain airbags for all three seating rows, plus driver and front passenger knee airbags.
vs Current GX

Driver Support Package (GX Luxury)
  • Includes Navigation and Mark Levinson Premium Surround Sound Audio Packages, plus:
  • Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (not full range)
  • Driver Attention Monitor
  • Lane Departure Alert
  • Intelligent high-beam headlamps
  • Wide-view Front and Side Monitor system
  • Crawl Control
According to fellow posters @Acrad35751

They just need to change the PCS sensor to add Pedestrian Detection

Last edited by coolsaber; 02-08-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 02:38 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Standard Driver Support Package and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) for 2020
paui4m (02-09-19)

Quick Reply: •• 2024 GX 550 Discussion