LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering 04-06 UL

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 04:32 AM
atlcal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Considering 04-06 UL

Lurker here, have had a beater 99 ES300 for several years, been a great little car for a very short (6 mile) work commute and occasional trips. Super reliable, needs very little other than routine maintenance, but looking to get something a little nicer without spending a ton. A friend of mine has owned a 2004 UL since new, and I've always enjoyed riding in it, so started browsing around Atlanta the past month. I keep coming back to a dealer that has a black 04 and a silver 06 UL, the 06 has PCS and 18s, but otherwise they look about the same. 04 has 82k, the 06 134k, both have decent service history, but the 04 has not yet had the TB done. The air suspension is not a huge concern, thanks to the forum, I know what my options/cost are when it needs attention, so my primary question is pricing. 11.5k for the 06, 13.5k for the 04. Small dealer, not sure how much he will move off the prices, but what's a fair starting point for negotiation? Oh, and while not vital info, I prefer black, but silver is not a deal killer.

Link to the cars: https://www.globalautogallery.net/ne...ll=1&MakeID=39
Old 07-21-19, 05:19 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Both are priced too high, but, hey, it's a dealer. The history of the 2004 would lead me to immediately reject it, given its several owners and multiple accident history. Its original Northern Ohio ownership is of no benefit either.

Despite its higher miles, the 2006 has a much better history. Given its mileage, it is worth $9000 or less.

If you are willing to spend into the teens, better cars are available in that price range, so keep looking.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-19, 06:19 AM
atlcal
Driver

Thanks for the input, I may go by and give the silver one a look tomorrow, since it's not terribly far, and might make an offer. I'm under no pressure to get one, so biding my time isn't a problem. But who knows, the dealer might be open to negotiate, he's been sitting on that car for some time, so we'll see.
Old 07-23-19, 03:09 AM
atlcal
Driver

After going to look at the car a negotiating based on what I found wrong with it, I decided to pull the trigger and pick up the silver one. There are some cosmetic issues, could use new tires, and easy common fixes like the mirror switch, stubborn telescope, headlight restoration, etc. All of these issues gave me a pretty strong negotiating position, and knocked decent chunk of the price. At under 10k, with very few interior flaws, and easily fixable issues and the known service history, I'm happy with the deal. Not super crazy about tinted windows, but with a black interior, probably not a bad idea. So far really liking the UL features, and this one also came with PCS. Also think the front bumper may have been changed at some point because it has the cut out in the lower grill for laser cruise, but there's no sensor behind it.

I don't think they were really ready to sell the car on the spot, so it needs a good bath, some wax, and a light interior detail. Sadly, all the cleaning stuff will have to wait until the rain storms move out of Atlanta.
Old 07-23-19, 06:27 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by atlcal
After going to look at the car a negotiating based on what I found wrong with it, I decided to pull the trigger and pick up the silver one. There are some cosmetic issues, could use new tires, and easy common fixes like the mirror switch, stubborn telescope, headlight restoration, etc. All of these issues gave me a pretty strong negotiating position, and knocked decent chunk of the price. At under 10k, with very few interior flaws, and easily fixable issues and the known service history, I'm happy with the deal. Not super crazy about tinted windows, but with a black interior, probably not a bad idea. So far really liking the UL features, and this one also came with PCS. Also think the front bumper may have been changed at some point because it has the cut out in the lower grill for laser cruise, but there's no sensor behind it.

I don't think they were really ready to sell the car on the spot, so it needs a good bath, some wax, and a light interior detail. Sadly, all the cleaning stuff will have to wait until the rain storms move out of Atlanta.
Did you buy the car already? If so congrats. Nice color combo. Did you look into the damage reported and the last timing belt/water pump replacement service? Dash should also be free of any imperfections (example: sticky dash) as a Southern Car. Good luck and let us know how you make out. The LS430 is a great car. Enjoy.
Old 07-23-19, 07:27 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

got damn, why are the prices so high!?
Old 07-23-19, 09:46 AM
atlcal
Driver

Yup, I got it yesterday. No, I'm sure it's not the best out there for the money, but it was here in Atlanta, checked nearly all of the boxes on my list, and the dealer was willing to give up on their fees and drop the price of the car to make up for the deficiencies I found. Even swapped out one of the taillights that wasn't working from another car in the warehouse. The damage reported must have been fairly minor, there's no visible damage to the front end underneath the hood or visible from below, but I'm pretty sure the bumper cover was replaced in that accident, as it has the hole in the lower grille for the laser cruise. No biggie, just gave me another bargaining chip. Scheduled for some new tires tomorrow, and once it stops raining, I'll get going on a few minor repairs, cleaning it up and doing some maintenance stuff, oil/filters/etc. Might order something to give me bluetooth audio for my podcasts, install my dashcam, and come up with a phone mount.

The TB/WP was done at an independent shop according to receipts, so I should be good on that front for the foreseeable future. Trans shifts smoothly, and I'll probably do a drain/fill on that and the diff at some point in the near future. The air filter and cabin filters looked new, oil was light and full, and the other maintenance records I have show it's been kept up pretty well. Hoping it's a solid car and will be my DD.
Old 07-23-19, 10:01 AM
MarkLev12
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What did you mean when you say the air suspension not a concern?
Old 07-23-19, 10:05 AM
atlcal
Driver

Originally Posted by MarkLev12
What did you mean when you say the air suspension not a concern?
Meaning, I am aware of it's longevity, the possible drawbacks, and the options and costs when it comes time for repairs. This isn't my first air suspension vehicle, so I'm not losing any sleep worrying about it.
Old 07-23-19, 10:18 AM
MarkLev12
Rookie

Meaning, I am aware of it's longevity, the possible drawbacks, and the options and costs when it comes time for repairs. This isn't my first air suspension vehicle, so I'm not losing any sleep worrying about it.
im eyeing a low mile 2003 UL. The struts and shocks were replaced in the last 5 years. One control arm was replaced. Are shocks and struts related to the air suspension? Or are there other components
Old 07-23-19, 11:55 AM
atlcal
Driver

Originally Posted by MarkLev12
im eyeing a low mile 2003 UL. The struts and shocks were replaced in the last 5 years. One control arm was replaced. Are shocks and struts related to the air suspension? Or are there other components
The air ride components are the shocks/struts, the sensors, the compressor, and the module that controls it all. Control arms, sway bars, etc. will be the same regardless if it is coil or air sprung.
Old 07-23-19, 01:12 PM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I love the silver color, same as mine. I tried to touch up a spot on it with the OEM correct touch up paint, and it doesn't match very well. i've heard silver is hard to match

Old 07-23-19, 01:33 PM
MarkLev12
Rookie

Whats the longevity and costs of replacing air suspension?
Old 07-23-19, 02:07 PM
atlcal
Driver

I will defer to the many other posts on this forum, people with far more experience with these cars than myself I have written many articles and posts about this. I'd also suggest looking at the FAQ as it has a lot of good information.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (07-24-19)
Old 07-23-19, 03:00 PM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats!! Very sharp!

Quick Reply: Considering 04-06 UL