NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Considering a 2016-2017 NX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 09:54 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering a 2016-2017 NX

Any issues or TSBs that a prospective buyer should be aware of/ look for when searching for an NX?

Also, any issues with the turbo (being Toyota's first?), or will time only tell?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-19, 12:31 AM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iceblast
Any issues or TSBs that a prospective buyer should be aware of/ look for when searching for an NX?

Also, any issues with the turbo (being Toyota's first?), or will time only tell?

Thanks in advance.
No issues so far, we have a 2016 NX200t and a 2018 NX300... Also, this is definitely not Toyota's first turbo, Lexus' first turbo yes, not Toyota's. Think MR2
Old 07-20-19, 05:50 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In case you have not read this article, just for some info on the turbo 2.0
https://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/07/...00t-deep-dive/

Mine is a 2016 F Sport model w/ about 50K km off lease when recently bought. I don't know how the first owner drove it, but by chance I found his name and able to exchange PM via his FB (after the sale). He expressed would have bought the NX, it was a well-built SUV (in Japan). A couple notes:
- I drive Normal mode, which I understand can be either ECO or Turbo when needed, when I keep depressing the gas pedal (otherwise someone pls correct me);
- I always use premium 91 octane, as specified in the Owner's Manual, even though I don't usually drive in Turbo mode.

I think this will alleviate any concern for overheating the turbo engine by driving in Normal mode and using the recommended octane designed for operating. I find the response together with the mileage meet my "need for speed" when cruising and changing lanes. I tried Turbo a couple times, quite peppy if you need for "road rage" , which I don't really have such need. Another deterrence is, not sure yet if true, the instant "average" mileage display changed from 10.6L/100km into 12.2L/100km on the digital guage. Not sure because my recent round trip Hwy between cities shows 9.6L/100km "average" on the digital guage, and my calculation based on the trip meter and the gas fill-up is 8.5L/100km.

Mine is a Certified Pre-Owned, and when checked with the Canadian Black Book for value, based on mileage and options (F Sport Series 2), it was a good deal (price). My point: there is a concern CPO would increase the cost for the added value, I guess I was lucky

Good luck with your search!
Old 07-20-19, 06:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Japanese were certainly later to the turbo game, usually turbines will not have issue for the first 10 years or so, I guess only time will tell with this Lexus turbo engine.
Old 07-21-19, 02:18 AM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you are in Canada as well .. how has your experience been with the AWD system and the overall weight of the vehicle in deep snow?

Thanks
Old 07-21-19, 04:56 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

I see you are in Canada as well .. how has your experience been with the AWD system and the overall weight of the vehicle in deep snow?

Thanks
Just got it this summer (off lease), so no experience yet! But then, who would doubt a Toyota or Lexus AWD My former 09 Santa Fe AWD worked well in Ottawa winter deep snow, FWIW and I would expect the NX just as well, if not more!

Here's the ad from Lexus on AWD, as I just found online when you asked:
https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/automobiles/awd

Last edited by 16fsport2; 07-21-19 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 07:25 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

You should be more concerned with direct injection engine, not with turbo. Turbo you cool down before shutting down engine (yes, read user guide!) and do regular oil changes with quality oil. Carbon build up on intake valves - not so easy. You got to race the engine ever so often to prevent it. Have fun.
Old 07-21-19, 07:26 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...72k-miles.html
Old 07-21-19, 07:27 AM
slypx
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks
No issue at all. 2018 F-Sport in the Montreal area here, one winter experience with it : drove in snow, wet snow, freezing rain, etc with high confidence. Must say as it is mandatory here in winter time in Quebec, I’m driving it with 4 winter tires. Found out that sometimes using eco mode, helps prevent spinning the wheels on streets corners and on icy roads, while other times using sport/sport + mode it will be easier to move it in thick snow. Also from a stand still position, you can engage (lock) the AWD system, it will disengage itself above 40 km/h. In the end, really good system and I don’t feel the extra weight at all
Old 07-21-19, 08:04 AM
brook41
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I currently have 70.5 K on my 2016 Base and average 29.1 using mostly 89 octane. I due all maintenance myself and have had zero problems!
Old 07-21-19, 10:10 AM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Canadian snow AWD approved!

Last edited by DaJoDJ; 07-21-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-22-19, 06:00 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

As I re-read this thread, here are my takes:

1. There is a reason why Premium 91 Octane is recommended, if not mandated: to eliminate any chances for gasoline with ethanol mix, however low, which in turn can contribute to carbon buildup due to DI.

2. DI issues are noted with 06, 07 IS250, not "observed" or "recognized" in many other engines, Toyota or not (some KIA, Audi engines are also affected). Toyota/Lexus engineers are aware of this and changed the design to fix the potential problem with 2 "solutions": (1) no ethanol gas and Premium 91 Octane is a must; and (ii) use of multi-port injection (PI), in addition to DI, to clean the buildup, as in the case of NX Turbo engine.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/do...0722031537%3As

https://www.wheels.ca/news/is-direct...y-a-good-idea/

This article confirms how Toyota/Lexus addresses this potential carbon deposit with DI by combining both port injection (PI) and DI during normal driving:

"The Combination

The ultimate strategy is combining both PI and DI benefits, using each to diminish the other’s negatives. Toyota, for example, fires both injectors during low to medium load and rpm conditions—in other words, during normal driving. This raises the density of the incoming charge without boosting and flushes carbon deposits off the intake valves. During high load and rpm circumstances, when maximum combustion chamber cooling is needed because detonation is more likely, DI handles all the fuel delivery."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ect-injection/

Last edited by 16fsport2; 07-22-19 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Revised when read Car &Driver's article
Old 07-26-19, 04:35 PM
brook41
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI in the USA almost all of the premium gasoline contains 10% ethanol. Here where I live in Florida ethanol free is available in a handful of stations , most of which is 89 octane. When I lived in the nyc metro area it was almost impossible to get unless it was in a 5 gallon can. https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL

Last edited by brook41; 07-26-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 12:38 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

youtube videos show it to be real easy when you pull out a spark plug and look inside with a scope...vid said its 40bux for a cheap scope from amazon...my 17nxt fsport will need spark plug change soon, so will probably buy a scope and take a look.