Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Lexus RX and Lexus GX First Drive Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 04:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2020 Lexus RX and Lexus GX First Drive Review

https://www.autotrader.ca/expert/201...-drive-review/

Part of the Lexus Milestones event was a chance to drive the automaker's entire lineup. Well, most of the lineup, at least. It included the 2020 Lexus RX and 2020 Lexus GX crossovers, both having received Lexus calls minor changes. That means no new stampings – usually. The RX 350 and 450h are an exception, getting a few sheet-metal changes; but the GX, a thoroughly traditional SUV, sees only smaller change.....
Interesting to read about the structure being made stronger.
Old 07-17-19, 04:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...us-rx-preview/

In the beginning, Lexus created the 1998 RX 300 -- the first luxury crossover SUV -- and it was good. More than 20 years later, the RX is Lexus's best-selling model, but also finds itself in a market crowded with compelling premium and luxury SUVs. The fourth-gen model offered solid performance and comfort, but awkward and outdated technology had become the Lexus' Achilles' heel. Thankfully, the refreshed 2020 Lexus RX, which debuted earlier this year, aims to shore up that weakness with a much-needed update to the dashboard and safety technology.....
However, I did notice a much larger reduction in cabin noise at speed

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-17-19 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 04:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

However, I did notice a much larger reduction in cabin noise at speed. There's a lot less road and wind noise and the thump over bumps is also less pronounced, which makes the SUV a much more relaxing commuting cocoon.
Excellent

The larger, closer screen also appears to have a higher resolution and more vibrant colors that pop more clearly in daylight.
Nice!

The 2020 RX is also the first ever Toyota/Lexus vehicle to support Android Auto and one of the first vehicles I've seen to support the new widescreen support for Google's smartphone software
Also nice!

Much sleeker with the minor revisions

Love family photos
Old 07-17-19, 04:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So a new toque-vectoring system on this new RX. Glad to see Lexus do upgrades here and there.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fir...rst-drive.html

It's a subtle change aided by the RX's new torque-vectoring system, which brakes the inside wheel during cornering to keep the RX on its line.
it's far more valuable for its smooth and absorbent ride.

The RTI is still there if you want it, but the touchscreen is a nice redundancy that we expect most drivers will prefer.
About time.
Old 07-17-19, 04:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Did they give this torque-vectoring system a fun 'Lexus' name like Audi's Quattro, Acura SH-AWD, Subaru Symmetrical AWD
Old 07-18-19, 04:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Very positive reviews of the RX.

Nice to see they made it quieter, better riding/handling, more user-friendly, more features (AA/AC, touch screen most notably), and revised front/rear.

good job lexus!

The gx changes were pretty much phoned in... nothing to see here really.
Old 07-18-19, 05:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
... nothing to see here really.
Actually. They changed the front end. Reworked the lights. And the packaging is a bit different.
Old 07-18-19, 05:59 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Actually. They changed the front end. Reworked the lights. And the packaging is a bit different.
Like he said, phoned in.
Old 07-18-19, 06:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Like he said, phoned in.
Not really. It’s just a mild enhancement. What would of like to have seen be done? He said m, nothing to see, but there is a new front end. New seat colours. Packaging changes. Car companies do this all the time.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-18-19 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 06:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not really. It’s just a mild enhancement. What would of like to have seen be done? He said m, nothing to see, but there is a new front end. New seat colours. Packaging changes. Car companies do this all the time.
I for one would like to see an all new model at least once a decade.
Old 07-18-19, 06:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I for one would like to see an all new model at least once a decade.
Im on the fence on that. I think all of the body of frame SUVs by Toyota are quite satisfying. Definitely not for everyone. But I certainly see the appeal. They all still have V8s. Appeal to the Lexus or Toyota long term fan. I really hope Toyota does not mess up the next generation. Hopefully it’s a more a mild change than a radical redesign
Old 07-18-19, 06:26 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Like he said, phoned in.
And I see Lexus pushing it to the overlanding crowd like they did with the 4Runner. I fear this model will last at least another 5yrs before any redesign. More phoning in to come.
Old 07-18-19, 06:32 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm glad to hear that it has gotten quieter. Road noise seems to be an issue with most Lexus models like the 2008 ES, 2011 RX and 2015 GS, all 3 models I have leased at one point. I was pleasantly shocked at how little road noise the GX460 has. It is supremely serene. It does have wind noise but that is to be expected since this thing is a house on wheels with elephant ears for side mirrors. Even then it is a pleasant swoosh. All the 3 past models I had leased prior to the GX, the road and wind noise was simply too intrusive.

I do find it odd that Lexus didnt tout how much has the body rigidity increased with the additional laser welds and 10x increase in body adhesives.
Old 07-18-19, 06:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
And I see Lexus pushing it to the overlanding crowd like they did with the 4Runner. I fear this model will last at least another 5yrs before any redesign. More phoning in to come.
Thats ok. It’s not everyone. Specific type of buyer. I hope they offer a 3rd delete option. If they replace it with a unibody design, that will suck. And keep all car based engines away from these models. Everyone hates the Tacoma 3.5 installation

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-18-19 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 06:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman

I do find it odd that Lexus didnt tout how much has the body rigidity increased with the additional laser welds and 10x increase in body adhesives.
Maybe it’s not really more rigid. Laser welds are probably an upgrade to the plant, and it’s probably now cheaper to weld and quicker. So it is more press release propaganda than it is reality. Body adhesives sound like sound damping methods more than anything else.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lexus RX and Lexus GX First Drive Review