LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake setups. Slight upgrade over oe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 12:38 PM
Lexstexs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake setups. Slight upgrade over oe?

So my 99 ls400 has warped rotors so I'm looking into replacing them with a slight upgrade. Ceramic pads maybe a dimpled rotor. Just wondering what everyone else uses. Thanks in advanced for any replys
Old 07-15-19, 01:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

The OE pads are ceramic though there are other compounds that may appeal. This past thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-99-ls400.html

The stock rotor blanks are fine for everyday commutes. On most everyday driven cars, this isn't an issue that will be obvious, save your $ and get a rotor from a reputable manufacturer. Lots of discussions about "gassing" where the "benefits" of slotted and dimpled are talked about and debated.

R1's overview:
https://www.r1concepts.com/blog/how-...-slotted-only/
Old 07-15-19, 01:22 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 406 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexstexs
So my 99 ls400 has warped rotors so I'm looking into replacing them with a slight upgrade. Ceramic pads maybe a dimpled rotor. Just wondering what everyone else uses. Thanks in advanced for any replys
Front and rear warped rotors?

Just rebuilt my front and rear brake calipers using Toyota kit.

Whomever performed last brake job failed to use anti-vibration/squeak shim kit.

Used all OEM parts; rotors, pads, fitment kit, shims, seals, slide pins and brake hoses.

Very satisfied with results.

A few more $ but not going to chance aftermarket stuff.

The previous owner installed rotors of unknown origin, so replaced with OEM rotors.. manufactured in Japan.

Last edited by YODAONE; 07-15-19 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 01:33 PM
Lexstexs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Welcome to Club Lexus.

The OE pads are ceramic though there are other compounds that may appeal. This past thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-99-ls400.html

The stock rotor blanks are fine for everyday commutes. On most everyday driven cars, this isn't an issue that will be obvious, save your $ and get a rotor from a reputable manufacturer. Lots of discussions about "gassing" where the "benefits" of slotted and dimpled are talked about and debated.

R1's overview:
https://www.r1concepts.com/blog/how-...-slotted-only/
That's exactly what I needed to hear so il get some akebono pads and try to figure out what brand of rotors would be best for me
Old 07-15-19, 07:07 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

i use akebono pads and oem rotors... quiet, smooth, plenty of stopping force
Old 07-15-19, 11:15 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I was going to say what other said, but they got you covered. Slotted rotors are useless off the track, and detrimental for actually putting commute miles on the car. Good luck! Thanks to the others who knew the correct answer to what brakes to put on the car
Old 07-15-19, 11:36 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bylan
I was going to say what other said, but they got you covered. Slotted rotors are useless off the track, and detrimental for actually putting commute miles on the car. Good luck! Thanks to the others who knew the correct answer to what brakes to put on the car
for the rear rotors you can probably save a bit by getting them through toyota instead of lexus, since the LS shares its rear rotors with another toyota... the MK IV supra!
The following users liked this post:
spuds (07-17-19)
Old 07-19-19, 10:44 AM
loganr176
Driver School Candidate

Default What about the LS front rotors?

Originally Posted by Stroock639
for the rear rotors you can probably save a bit by getting them through toyota instead of lexus, since the LS shares its rear rotors with another toyota... the MK IV supra!

Do the front rotors for the LS share parts with another vehicle in the Toyota brand?
Old 07-27-19, 10:49 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by loganr176
Do the front rotors for the LS share parts with another vehicle in the Toyota brand?
unfortunately (but also fortunately) not
Old 07-27-19, 12:22 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess this probably comes up from time to time, but "warped" rotors is a misnomer. They are too strong to just warp; what happens is that their surface gets unevenly used up and there is a difference in friction which cuases the feeling of a warped rotor. This can easily happen if after hard braking you stop the car, while the brakes are scorching hot and then you stay like that, with pads pressing against the rotor and nothing moves for a few minutes. Do that a few times, with a bit of bad luck, it may stop at exactly the same spot and that spot will be different from the rest of the rotor, and its friction will change which will give the vibration during braking.
That's why people resurface rotors - once you remove that top layer of metal, it is all good again (except buying new is only marginally more expensive than resurfacing... so I always just put on new rotors).
But, most important thing I've learned is that certain suspension components can make your rotors behave as if they are warped, most notably - strut rods (with worn out bushing).
Combination Akebono (ceramic pads) and Centric rotors seem to work great on our cars.
Old 07-27-19, 05:02 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

^^^

yea the oem rotors and akebono pads work great