SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Crazy car experience / alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 08:01 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crazy car experience / alternator?

Really bad experience with the sc430 this weekend.

over the past two weeks there have been a handful of times where I started the car and heard a whining sound. Had the car in shop prior to driving to south FL from Atlanta for July 4th, inspection came back clean but was told to start thinking about replacing struts b/c they are showing cracks.

was driving today and my radio went out while driving. Parked at the gym I was heading to and noticed a lot of indicator lights had come on (check engine, vsc, etc). Thought I’d try restarting the car...bad idea, I restarted with top down and car wouldn’t turn back on.

Decided to go to gym. 2 hours later it turned on. Top wouldn’t close. Attempted to drive and all the sudden lights behind odometer went out and car just died in motion. Had to call a tow truck. It rained while I had top down for over an hour, car was soaked. Car couldn’t be jumped when I tried with my other car but when tow truck came they had a more powerful battery and were able to do it and I closed top. Left car at shop to be looked at Monday and wiped it down but didn’t get a chance to shop vac the carpets (I took the carpets out but felt underneath still wet). Hopefully no electrics are damaged or car doesn’t smell musty

about 1.5 years ago my alternator died and my local shop replaced with aftermarket reman alternator. Was told OEM models are no longer available.

For those of you whose alternators died....I’m just speculating here alternator is the problem, but want to be prepared. Did you replace oem, DENSO, aftermarket, etc.

looks like you can still buy a new oem part here: https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...ernator,,27020

Denso unit right here: https://www.go-parts.com/denso/denso.../i-571408.aspx

this if it’s the alternator, I want something that actually lasts. I paid $400 parts/labor last time but might have cost me more if I need to rip out my carpet after it was soaked or replace electronics.

im ok to pay more $ for the piece of mind, would welcome any suggestions

thanks
Old 07-13-19, 08:31 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

While I’m not familiar with the rain where you are the best thing to do is leave the battery disconnect and get the car dried out BEFORE applying power to begin with. The car can handle a little moisture but not a few inches to the under-the-seat electronics.

The next is to determine the cause of your alternator failure(s). I know there is a known problem with the power steering hose clamps near the reservoir leaking and dripping into the alternator. IF, and I stress IF, this is an issue you’re going to keep on ruining alternators.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-14-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-14-19, 07:51 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Bob is right. The most common cause for failing alternators in the SC430 seem to have been related to a leak with the power steering pump (either the pump itself or the lines leading up to it). When mine was replaced a year or so ago, they put a Denso in there. He suggested that the alternators with the "life time warranty" would wind up failing within a year or two and I'd wind up having to replace it again. Stick with Denso. I got 16 years out of my first one (the original OEM unit) and it got taken out by an oil leak, so it is hard to complain about that.
Old 07-14-19, 08:33 AM
nprest2
Rookie

Thanks Bob and Harold.

My local shop may have not known about this potential leak and just replaced the unit 2 years ago or so.

i also have an independent Lexus shop I got to but the local guys are honest, do good work, and charge less. Hopefully they can diagnose this for me, if not I’ll take it to the indie shop.

@Harold57 do you know if the denso unit they put in there was new or remanufacfured? Do you have a part number by any chance?
Old 07-14-19, 02:00 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Sorry but I don't have the part number. Seems like there was a thread in the past 6 months with it though. I also don't remember whether it was new or remanufactured, I suspect that it was remanufactured though.

Last edited by Harold57; 07-14-19 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 10:08 AM
nprest2
Rookie

Well got the car back, was $488 out the door for a reman denso alternator.

Need to to spend some $ to get the car detailed, carpets are still wet.

Most everything else seems to be in the norm but there are a few concerns:
- the new pioneer headunit I installed earlier this year appears dead and is not powering on. Wondering if it’s an issue with the beatsonic or pioneer unit itself.
- the top buttons on climate control are not operable (the ones that open up the navigation screen)
- the programmable buttons to set seat position do not appear to work but the seats themselves do.

Wondering if there is some single power source or controller that the nav unit and radio would draw power from.

i opened up the shifter assembly after the car got wet and check that area for water but could not find any, everything inside there appeared to be dry so didn’t think there were issues with the radio. Any ideas guys?

hope I’m not in for a world of hurt and out of pocket outlays
Old 07-17-19, 10:26 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Regarding the dead electronics: Check for blown or missing fuses.
Old 07-17-19, 11:24 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

When I purchased my car it came with Lexus fitted car cover that is waterproof and I think I will keep it with me when I drive her. God forbid the top has an issue and it rains. Seems like it can wreak havoc. Probably a good precaution for everyone. Keep something, even a roll of that thin plastic sheeting you use to protect the floor if you paint and some bungie cords in your car just in case. $10 investment could save you hundreds if not thousands preventing water damage.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-17-19 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 09:27 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

check your owners manual on how to calibrate your car seat memory module. it is easy to do but you have to do it anytime your battery is disconnected
Old 07-19-19, 07:36 PM
nprest2
Rookie

@Harold57 @VVTiBob

interesting situation still unfolding. Car at the dealer and they’re trying to figure out what’s wrong. Made me being in my oem radio since they weren’t going to diag the aftermarket but I was quoted for 3 hours of diag fees upfront to the tune of $500.

-the top factory navigation screen is dead and unresponsive
-top buttons on oem climate control not working (might be tied to nav screen being dead)
-radio dead

is there some common link to all 3 of them, are they interconnected?

They are are going to have their main black belt master tech look at it Monday. I doubt the top screen isn’t working if day the climate control top buttons were ruined by water, that ought to turn on regardless.

all fuses are ok.

Wondering if if there is some common thread, where do the wires that sit inside of the dash connect to (the ones that connect into the nav and radio).

Hope im not out the door for thousands. When I opened up the shifter assembly trim area, I just found a couple of drops of water there, the area certainly wasn’t flooded and the area under the radio was dry. Wondering if the seats being soaked would have caused this...no idea if any controls for radio/nav are under the seat.

Last edited by nprest2; 07-20-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 07:18 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Quick update

dealer tested my original radio and that works (I could have done this myself, sigh) so perhaps either beatsonic or the pioneer headunit were damaged by rain.

top oem nav screen still not working, main tech is on Monday to figure this out

not end of the world to go back to the working oem radio from pioneer head unit (though that’s $1k plus my time down the toilet) but if that’s the case really want the top headunit to work

wondering what could the problem be, the windshield shields these electronics from rain I can’t imagine there being enough water on the nav unit to break it, wondering if there are parts/controls for it elsewhere that could have been damaged by water
Old 07-22-19, 10:26 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Sorry, I don't have a good answer for you. There is a cable connecting the NAV screen to the radio, but I really don't know the specifics about it.
Old 07-22-19, 10:48 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

If you want, you can apply a 9 volt battery to your aftermarket radio and see if it lights up. You will be short 3 volts, but it might work. You could also power it but attaching the wires directly to your car battery.

If the Nav door doesn't open, can you tell if the screen behind it is working?
Old 07-22-19, 12:26 PM
nprest2
Rookie

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
If you want, you can apply a 9 volt battery to your aftermarket radio and see if it lights up. You will be short 3 volts, but it might work. You could also power it but attaching the wires directly to your car battery.

If the Nav door doesn't open, can you tell if the screen behind it is working?
They manually pushed the wood trim door open and the screen is not lighting up

the good news is these screens can be bought for $300-400 used on eBay vs. $5,000 for a new oem part (you can buy a big OLED tv plus a second tv for that kind of money) but I’d be surprised if that’s the case given the windshield comes over the top of the in-dash electronics and should shield from rain. There was some water due to wind but with parts being in the back would be surprised...
Old 07-22-19, 03:40 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I used this video to install my Bluetooth kit. Great instructions to pull it apart and actually pretty easy. Hopefully you get back to normal soon.

Quick Reply: Crazy car experience / alternator?