RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lowering the RC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 05:58 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Lowering the RC?

So I have posted about lowering our RC a couple times and been hit with multiple spring choices. My question is this, is anyone making good springs for this car that don't require new strut mounts or cause some weird popping noise in the strut mounts when lowered?

The reason I ask is because I lowered our NX using RS-R Downs and we cannot get the angle of the front strut exactly right no matter how hard we try. It is fine for most people and they wouldn't even notice what I notice. But I am super picky when it comes to noises, so it don't "bother" me but I pay attention to it more than I should.

A little back story, I own a 2019 NX F Sport and had it lowered when it had less than 1000 miles on it. Well actually my wife had it done for me, but thats beside the point. I had it aligned a week later.

There is slight and I do mean slight pop that I get from the turning the wheel left or right and at very slow speeds or stopped and the radio turned down. that is literally the only time you can hear it. I have had Lexus look at it and my mechanic who lowered it, and it is in fact the strut mount. It didn't make the noise until it was aligned.
Old 07-14-19, 07:20 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,541 Likes on 1,731 Posts

^^ It is interesting to read this. I was going to lower my 2019 RC with the RS-R lowering spring but have since decided to hold off and accept its hideous negative rake for fear that trying to solve one problem will cause another. Seeing what you posted here makes me glad I didn't. I know many will suggest coil overs but I just can't be bothered spending that much money on a leased vehicle, especially since I could would also have to fight Lexus every time I would need warranty work. I have just accepted that I made a mistake with this car purchase this time and will just ride it out as long as I can before dumping it out. I would LOVE for Lexus to send me a survey about their car.....

Best of luck and I am curious what people will suggest
Old 07-14-19, 07:23 AM
2017FSport
Advanced

my absolute best idea for this car would be put it on bags. but I too leased this one and don't have a lot of time left on the lease. but I would love to see it lower than stock height. the rear is actually fine, it is the front wheel gap that is the issue. and I am NOT awd...
Old 07-14-19, 09:09 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I agree that the rear is fine, but why Lexus feels that it is perfectly fine to have a car that has a larger gap in the front wheel well over the rear is beyond me! I don't care what size gap they want to create but make it the same!! It is embarrassing to be seen with this gap and the reason why I mostly drive this car in the evening now. When I leased it, I had thought it would be possible to lower the front but all sorts of complications arose that are preventing me from doing it so I am stuck with it....But luckily, its only for a few years. As soon as I can walk away without being too upside down I will in a heartbeat. I don't mind losing 8-10K on it but at this point, it would more than that so I'll hold on to it, even if it means leaving it mostly undriven in my garage.

It is odd for a company like Lexus who is obsessed with details and quality that this was approved leaving the design and assembly line. If you think yours is bad, you should see the AWD which is all we are allowed to buy in Canada because Lexus Canada feels that they know what every driver wants and why they won't allow Lexus accessories like lowering springs which are available in the US not made available here. *shaking my head*

One good thing I learned from this is that this will be my last Lexus - I lease a new vehicle every 2 years (Had a 2015 IS350 F Sport then a 2017 IS350 F sport) and after this RC, my plan was to get the next generation IS. I won't anymore and even if I like what the new IS will look like, I won't buy just out spite after this whole fiasco.

It bad enough the wheel gap is not the same front and back, the passenger side gap is more than than of the driver side - So a 62K (+ taxes and fees) has uneven gap front and rear and left and right, but my 2016 Chevy Spark (13K) sits equal on all four sides and its gap is less than this supposedly 'sporty' Lexus.

I would love to get a survey from Lexus Canada on what I think of their RC....The dealership has been AMAZING with me and they did everything they could to help me but it is not their fault.
Old 07-14-19, 10:16 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

use OEM lowering springs...BOOM...done..lowered by 1"
Old 07-14-19, 10:20 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I wish we could do that in Canada!! OP has that advantage but we can't - Maybe it is discrimination? (lol)

Because I am sure the suspension for the American cars are different than the Canadians and why Lexus Canada won't certify parts that are designed from Torrence California with a Toyota name on it....
Old 07-14-19, 12:32 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Originally Posted by sideswipe
use OEM lowering springs...BOOM...done..lowered by 1"
I am guessing you are AWD?

I don't like the OEM springs simply because they only lower each corner 1". the front needs to come down a tad more. 1" for the rear is fine, but front needs about 1.5" to look right. Thats just my 2 cents anyway.
Old 07-14-19, 05:11 PM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2017FSport
I am guessing you are AWD?

I don't like the OEM springs simply because they only lower each corner 1". the front needs to come down a tad more. 1" for the rear is fine, but front needs about 1.5" to look right. Thats just my 2 cents anyway.
Yes I'm AWD. If you need that extra .5" then you have to go aftermarket. But the oem kit really evened out things nicely.
Old 07-14-19, 05:21 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Originally Posted by sideswipe
Yes I'm AWD. If you need that extra .5" then you have to go aftermarket. But the oem kit really evened out things nicely.
I figured. Nice look with the wheels by the way!
Old 07-14-19, 09:40 PM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2017FSport
I figured. Nice look with the wheels by the way!
Thanks and let us know what you decide to do.
Old 07-15-19, 07:29 AM
awoolwine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lowered mine with Monza lowering springs.... less than $150 and rides and performs great with no issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manzo-Performance-Sport-Lowering-S

prings-2015-2017-Lexus-RC200t-RC300-RC350/191980123772?fits=Year%3A2015%7CModel%3ARC350%7CMake%3ALexus&hash=item2cb2e8367c:g:XrYAAOSw7NNUDbzU
Old 07-15-19, 08:08 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Looks amazing!! What kind of drop is that? I looked at the link and it didn't say if it was 1 or 1.5 inches? It looks like 1.5 inches but I could be wrong....

Funny how I wasn't a big fan of the wheel pattern initially but the more I see them, the more I like the pattern after all.
Old 07-15-19, 08:32 AM
awoolwine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a 1.5" drop...
Old 07-15-19, 09:13 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

The factory struts are not designed for aftermarket lowering springs especially the more agressive ones like the RSR super downs....which is different than their ability to accomodate them, which is why I feel people have issues with them. When I first lowered my car I went with RSR springs. It was the first time I had modded a car since the mid 2000s. At that time springs were the more cost effective way to lower as coilovers at the time were $$$. I quickly sold my springs and went with a set of coilovers as the price point is much more affordable now. The adjustability of coilovers is far superior than drop provided by springs. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-15-19, 09:55 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

We can get you coilovers so you can adjust your ride height to exactly what you want.

Bags are an option but expensive like you mentioned.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: Lowering the RC?