ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models
View Poll Results: Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K
Transmission Flush
21.54%
Transmission Refill
49.23%
No need to change the transmission fluid... it's "lifetime" after all.
29.23%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 03:52 PM
nelsona
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K miles

Hello Everyone,

My 2016 ES 350 is currently at 57,250 miles, and I was planning on getting my transmission fluid serviced.

I've been told many times not to get my transmission fluid flushed, but instead to get my fluid refilled.

However, I called up a Toyota dealer (in Marina Del Rey, CA), and their main service guy recommended a flush rather than a refill for the following reasons:

1. Refill doesn't replace all the transmission fluid (e.g. in the torque converter).
2. Is perfectly safe as long as the vehicle isn't suffering from any issues (or if the transmission fluid hasn't been changed in a while).

I asked him if he also does transmission fluid refills (rather than flush), which his dealership does.

The Toyota dealer wants $250.00 for the transmission flush or $180.00 for the refill.

Any thoughts, as I'm extremely leery about performing a flush?

As for my vehicle, I haven't noticed any transmission issues. I'm merely performing the service as preventative maintenance.

Thank you,
Nelson
Old 07-12-19, 05:23 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

I recommend Drain and refill only. I started doing the Drain/refill method once a year with my wife 08 RX350, started at ~90K miles, the RX has ~131K miles now and it still shifts smoothly. Cost me 5 quarts of WS ($50 online) and $50 labor charge per year ( Total $100), I consider it cheap insurance.
The following 3 users liked this post by lexsc4:
Chrlttmega (08-04-21), lji (07-18-19), nelsona (07-12-19)
Old 07-13-19, 03:40 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,058 Likes on 693 Posts

Always find it entertaining when someone starts a thread about the transmission fluid and needing to be changed. Many chime in with oh yes it needs to be changed and nothing last forever. They have ZERO experience on transmissions especially Lexus transmissions. Than there are the conspiracy theorist who state Lexus says do not change the fluid knowing it will fail as soon as it gets out of warranty. If I believed this to be true I would sell my Lexus and never ever own one again.

My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem.
The following 6 users liked this post by Freds430:
bc6152 (07-13-19), gamma742 (05-15-20), nelsona (07-13-19), Okie350 (01-16-20), TCASMER (08-05-20), Universe93 (07-13-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-13-19, 07:02 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I came from Honda/Acura vehicles, so obviously I was into changing the transmission fluid all the time.

But after speaking with so many senior Lexus mechanics, I will not change the fluid on my 2013 ES350. In addition, my family has 2 prior generation Lexus ES' with over 200k miles with no transmission fluid changes. The transmission shifts so smoothly even on those cars. One of them drives daily in terrible stop and go DC traffic.
The following 3 users liked this post by Universe93:
bc6152 (07-13-19), Freds430 (01-26-20), nelsona (07-13-19)
Old 07-13-19, 11:23 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Always find it entertaining when someone starts a thread about the transmission fluid and needing to be changed. Many chime in with oh yes it needs to be changed and nothing last forever. They have ZERO experience on transmissions especially Lexus transmissions. Than there are the conspiracy theorist who state Lexus says do not change the fluid knowing it will fail as soon as it gets out of warranty. If I believed this to be true I would sell my Lexus and never ever own one again.

My local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. I will save my money and never change the fluid and listen to the experts. Never changed the transmission fluid and never had one problem.
+1
Here we go again... The last time this subject was brought up the thread went on and on for pages... I would suggest to the OP to do a search for this subject and set aside a few days to read all the posts from the various members. The answer then was to leave the tranny alone (as Lexus recommends) and the answer now is to leave the tranny alone... Lexus has no interest in their customers damaging their vehicles by opening the transmission so tell owners to "leave the tranny alone"...
Old 07-13-19, 11:27 AM
nelsona
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Freds430

Hello Freds430,

I respectfully have to disagree.

There is no such thing as a fluid that lasts forever.

When Toyota calls their WS transmission fluid, "lifetime", they do so at the behest of the EPA.

Their transmission fluid is actually rated for around 100K miles, though, at that point you'd be pushing things.

It's better to change the transmission fluid sooner, which is why people generally change their transmission fluid around 60K miles.

I'd wager if someone actually drained the transmission fluid on your vehicle with 200K miles, that it'd be quite black (and possibly smell burnt).

At that point, you would have already incurred damage to your transmission. That said, if you don't plan on keeping your car for more than 250K to possibly 300K miles, then you "should" be good.

As for myself, I plan on keeping my vehicle for as long as possible. So ensuring that I don't begin to damage my transmission (no matter how small that damage may be at first), is of the upmost importance (as a new transmission ranges from $5K to $7K, whereas a rebuild can range from $2K to $4K).

Thanks,
Nelson
The following 3 users liked this post by nelsona:
Dampfwalze (01-14-20), PatrickAz (05-15-20), websurfer (07-07-20)
Old 07-13-19, 07:45 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

For me I would rather be safe than sorry. Anyway, it’s only a $100 per year and I will keep doing it as long as I own the car.
The following users liked this post:
nelsona (07-14-19)
Old 07-14-19, 04:23 PM
nelsona
Driver School Candidate

For those who were curious, I spoke to a buddy who knows a Lexus Master Tech.

This was the Master Tech's response to my question: "Drain and fill is recommended only".

As for how to properly do it, this video shows you exactly how:

All of that said, I'll likely have a mechanic do the job (as properly and safely jacking up an ES is a pain in the *** - especially when it comes to jacking up the rear).

Thanks for all your help,
Nelson
Dampfwalze (01-14-20)
Old 07-14-19, 04:54 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

My sister-in-law has a boyfriend who has a cousin that has a sister who has a boyfriend whose sister is married to a Lexus technician in Podunk, Iowa. He strongly recommends against draining the Lexus ES transmission as advised by Toyota... JK, JK...
The following 2 users liked this post by bc6152:
nelsona (07-14-19), PatrickAz (05-15-20)
Old 07-14-19, 05:09 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by nelsona
For those who were curious, I spoke to a buddy who knows a Lexus Master Tech.

This was the Master Tech's response to my question: "Drain and fill is recommended only".

As for how to properly do it, this video shows you exactly how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_6BZpK3gg&t=3s

All of that said, I'll likely have a mechanic do the job (as properly and safely jacking up an ES is a pain in the *** - especially when it comes to jacking up the rear).

Thanks for all your help,
Nelson
It is your car/money and you can do what you feel comfortable with. I agree with you on having a mechanic do the job. Easier to pay than go through the process. The main thing is finding a mechanic you trust.
nelsona (07-14-19)
Old 07-15-19, 06:58 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I am at 133K miles and never plan on changing mine. I have built engines and transmissions before, for whatever that is worth, and I don't see any benefit to doing it on these cars. We'll see how I feel at 250K miles I guess.
Old 07-15-19, 04:53 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Hello Freds430,

I respectfully have to disagree.

There is no such thing as a fluid that lasts forever.

When Toyota calls their WS transmission fluid, "lifetime", they do so at the behest of the EPA.

Their transmission fluid is actually rated for around 100K miles, though, at that point you'd be pushing things.

It's better to change the transmission fluid sooner, which is why people generally change their transmission fluid around 60K miles.

I'd wager if someone actually drained the transmission fluid on your vehicle with 200K miles, that it'd be quite black (and possibly smell burnt).

At that point, you would have already incurred damage to your transmission. That said, if you don't plan on keeping your car for more than 250K to possibly 300K miles, then you "should" be good.

As for myself, I plan on keeping my vehicle for as long as possible. So ensuring that I don't begin to damage my transmission (no matter how small that damage may be at first), is of the upmost importance (as a new transmission ranges from $5K to $7K, whereas a rebuild can range from $2K to $4K).

Thanks,
Nelson
And you work in the service department for which Lexus dealer?
Freds430 (07-16-19)
Old 07-15-19, 06:24 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello Freds430,

Proof of this please?
The following 2 users liked this post by Maikerusan:
bc6152 (07-16-19), Freds430 (07-16-19)
Old 07-15-19, 08:49 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

While we are on the subject of fluid, can anyone give me some advice on which brand of oil to use? And the change interval? Is it 5k, 7.5k or 10k? On top of that, If I use Mobil 1 extended performace oil, can I really go 15k miles with an OEM filter? Or do I need to replace the filter every 7.5k miles? Last but not least, I think it is not too much to ask a Lexus Certified Master Tech from a particular dealership of my choice, with as least 20 years of Lexus experience, to approve it with his/her’s notarized signature. Thank you.

Jack
Old 07-16-19, 01:11 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lexsc4
While we are on the subject of fluid, can anyone give me some advice on which brand of oil to use? And the change interval? Is it 5k, 7.5k or 10k? On top of that, If I use Mobil 1 extended performace oil, can I really go 15k miles with an OEM filter? Or do I need to replace the filter every 7.5k miles? Last but not least, I think it is not too much to ask a Lexus Certified Master Tech from a particular dealership of my choice, with as least 20 years of Lexus experience, to approve it with his/her’s notarized signature. Thank you.

Jack

Hello Jack... as for what brand of oil to use, there are A LOT of great name brand oils out there.. Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple and the list goes on and on. Whatever brand you use just make sure it's Synthetic... 0w-20. Personally I use and have used for years Mobil 1 extended performance.. It's supposed to be good for 15K miles... even so, I'm OLD OLD OLD School. Even though Mobil 1 EP is rated for 15K mile oil change interval, I still change my oil and my filter every 5K miles. I know it's over kill but it gives me peace of mind. Plus now that I'm retired I probably don't put but maybe 7 or 8 thousand a year on my car so it takes me a little while to get to 5K miles.. Lexus calls for oil changes every 10K. Personally that would be the longest I would ever go between oil changes.. You're probably good to go using Mobil 1 EP every 10k miles.

Quick Reply: Transmission Refill vs Flush at 60K miles