LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Ultra Racing Sways & Understeer

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 04:28 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Ultra Racing Sways & Understeer

I just recently installed both front and rear sways bars from Ultra Racing and now have some serious understeer. I have not had an alignment yet and hoping this will help. My concern is that right now the understeer is bad enough where I was coming around a curve I am very familiar with in the rain and the car just went straight and then all four tires lost traction. I was not speeding, I was actually going slower than normal since I noticed the understeer in the rain earlier that day.

Has anyone else run into this issue after installing these, and if so were you able to correct it without going back to stock?
Old 07-10-19, 04:39 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

New end links as well or did you reuse the old ones?
Old 07-10-19, 04:42 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bradland
New end links as well or did you reuse the old ones?
The rears are new, fronts are the originals. Fronts felt ok, but I did order some new ones that just arrived late yesterday. I plan to install them either tonight or tomorrow then get an alignment by this weekend.

Just changed out the front end links. Used Moog as I could get them faster and have seen positive reviews on here. Getting an alignment tomorrow.

Last edited by 02Legend; 07-10-19 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-12-19, 12:51 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Can't answer your question but am curious what the diameter of these aftermarket stabilizer bars are (measured by calipers and/or printed spec), the design differences from OEM (got side-by-side pics?), the performance characteristics you expected to gain, and what marketing/advertising information they provided that indicates they can outperform the OEM design.

The factory stabilizer bars on the 01-03 are what the 04-06 call "sport". The base model 04-06 have bars that are 1mm thinner than all 01-03 models.
Old 07-12-19, 04:05 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
Can't answer your question but am curious what the diameter of these aftermarket stabilizer bars are (measured by calipers and/or printed spec), the design differences from OEM (got side-by-side pics?), the performance characteristics you expected to gain, and what marketing/advertising information they provided that indicates they can outperform the OEM design.

The factory stabilizer bars on the 01-03 are what the 04-06 call "sport". The base model 04-06 have bars that are 1mm thinner than all 01-03 models.
I have a set of calipers and can check this weekend. I was very close to taking photos side by side, but never did it before installing the new sway bars. I can definitely feel a big difference in body roll and that is what I was after, reducing the body roll. Got an alignment today, which was needed regardless of the sway bar installs. Feels a little better during turn in, but the roads are dry right now and my concern is during rain.

Last edited by 02Legend; 07-12-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-12-19, 04:39 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 97 Posts

Well thicker swaybars in the rain probably isn't the best place to see if the handling is better or not. Very likely that even in the wet, there was too much speed, or you may have hydro / aquaplaned a little bit, causing the push.

Alignment won't help either, as all you're changing with the bars, is the weight transfer under cornering.

What size tires are you on?
Old 07-12-19, 04:46 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kos
Well thicker swaybars in the rain probably isn't the best place to see if the handling is better or not. Very likely that even in the wet, there was too much speed, or you may have hydro / aquaplaned a little bit, causing the push.

Alignment won't help either, as all you're changing with the bars, is the weight transfer under cornering.

What size tires are you on?
I was not trying to test out handling in the rain, just that is when I noticed the big difference in understeer and then the sliding. After which is when I was seeing how the steering felt along with the understeer.

I have the stock 18's with 245/45 tires.
Old 07-14-19, 09:33 AM
02Legend
Intermediate

I finally went out with a caliper and measured the thickness between the front stock sway and the Ultra Racing. I'm using a KD Tools digital caliper, for reference. Granted the thickness is marginal, the weight between the two is significant. I double checked all bolts and re-torqued to spec. I did not check the rear as it is nasty and humid right now.

Stock = 27mm
UR = 28.2mm

New Issue

After the alignment I now have a vibration/popping coming from the front right. It reminds me of a bad end link (both are brand new). I didn't notice any free play when I checked and re-torqued everything. Ironically it was not doing this until after the alignment. However, the car does feel better after the alignment and me re-torquing everything.

Last edited by 02Legend; 07-14-19 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 06:23 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

You might be the first person to run the UR front bar. I only have the rear UR bar and the handling is pretty neutral, though I don't push the car because aggressive or even spirited driving in the LS430 kind of goes against the over all style of the car.
Old 07-15-19, 06:58 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Legend

New Issue

After the alignment I now have a vibration/popping coming from the front right. It reminds me of a bad end link (both are brand new). I didn't notice any free play when I checked and re-torqued everything. Ironically it was not doing this until after the alignment. However, the car does feel better after the alignment and me re-torquing everything.
Your end links are not necessarily bad. You may need to re-do alignment (including resetting suspension as it seems to be highly preloaded). Dealers are usually aware about this problem and do the alignment right the first time.
Old 07-15-19, 05:18 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Romanova
You might be the first person to run the UR front bar. I only have the rear UR bar and the handling is pretty neutral, though I don't push the car because aggressive or even spirited driving in the LS430 kind of goes against the over all style of the car.
I may try just putting the stock front back in and see how it feels. Granted after re-torquing everything and the alignment it does feel better, and a huge difference in the body roll being reduced.

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Your end links are not necessarily bad. You may need to re-do alignment (including resetting suspension as it seems to be highly preloaded). Dealers are usually aware about this problem and do the alignment right the first time.
I thought about going back and having it realigned and may call them tomorrow (NTB). I've had issues with one of the dealerships locally that don't like to even look at certain aspects of the car if everything is not OEM parts.
Old 07-15-19, 06:45 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Please take a look at Post #2 at the link below...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-bar-too.html

The front of the LS430 carries a larger portion of the overall weight. When making a turn, the front of the car tends to hold its ground better, while the rear would experience a slight sliding away from the curb. This gives the driver a bit of over-steer feel. Eventually, you will re-baseline this experience as "normal". Now if you enhance the ability of the rear wheels to hold-the-ground and eliminate the sliding, the car will give the driver a bit of the under-steer feel.

On my car, the rear springs were a bit saggy and the rear tires are wider apart at the bottom (where they touch the ground) than the top. I suspect that this misalignment further exaggerate the under/over-steering issue until I added the adjustable linkages.

I have both front and rear Ultra Racing sway bars and their performance are rock-solid in cornering (wet or dry).
Old 07-15-19, 07:20 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Please take a look at Post #2 at the link below...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...y-bar-too.html

The front of the LS430 carries a larger portion of the overall weight. When making a turn, the front of the car tends to hold its ground better, while the rear would experience a slight sliding away from the curb. This gives the driver a bit of over-steer feel. Eventually, you will re-baseline this experience as "normal". Now if you enhance the ability of the rear wheels to hold-the-ground and eliminate the sliding, the car will give the driver a bit of the under-steer feel.

On my car, the rear springs were a bit saggy and the rear tires are wider apart at the bottom (where they touch the ground) than the top. I suspect that this misalignment further exaggerate the under/over-steering issue until I added the adjustable linkages.

I have both front and rear Ultra Racing sway bars and their performance are rock-solid in cornering (wet or dry).
I'm guessing that you are using the Megan Racing rear adjustable arms to correct the negative camber? I do recall that on average the rear camber on my car sitting at about -1 degree when it comes from getting it aligned. Do you happen to know the part number?

As always, thanks for the good insight and info RKW.

Last edited by 02Legend; 07-15-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 07:21 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

I might consider the UR front bar now. I did the poly mount bushings for the stock bar but no difference was noticed.
Old 07-20-19, 01:46 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 02Legend
I finally went out with a caliper and measured the thickness between the front stock sway and the Ultra Racing. I'm using a KD Tools digital caliper, for reference. Granted the thickness is marginal, the weight between the two is significant. I double checked all bolts and re-torqued to spec. I did not check the rear as it is nasty and humid right now.

Stock = 27mm
UR = 28.2mm

New Issue

I decided to get back under the car in this horrible heat to check things again. Low and behold both nuts on the end link to the sway bar were loose, not sure how as they were torqued to spec, unless my torque wrench is broken. Re-torqued again and lube the sway bar bushings as I noticed that the Ultra Bar is supposed to come with some, mine did not.

Nuts that were loose. Not sure how to make the photo smaller.

Just drove for for an hour and no rattles and the car feels good. Thanks for all the replies. I may still end up getting the Megan arms for the rear.

Last edited by 02Legend; 07-20-19 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultra Racing Sways & Understeer