Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Telluride and Palisade pack an early 1-2 punch in 3 row SUV market

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 10:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Telluride and Palisade pack an early 1-2 punch in 3 row SUV market

With the new Explorer, Highlander models due out later this year and Pilot looking pretty old the new Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride entries have a head start to make a dent in this huge market. They are getting rave reviews. The Telluride sold over 7000 units last month and the Palisade is about to hit dealers if it hasn't already. Looks like their timing could be fortunate to exploit a market of other aged models.

They've got a long way to go though to make a real dent given the huge popularity and sales of other models.

For me I'm excited about what this means for the upcoming Genesis SUV.
Old 06-25-19, 11:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Saw a Palisade the other day and it looked pretty good, though I think I prefer the Telluride. Kia/Hyundai did a great job on these vehicles.
Old 06-25-19, 11:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I will champion for the RWD based Explorer and Aviator all day over anything else in this class, and expect them to do well (saw a black Aviator the other day ). But I have been seeing more of the Telluride/Palisade twins on the road lately. In fact last night a Palisade was next to me at a red light. The car is a lot smaller than marketing images make it to be IMO. I know both have decent materials inside. My only gripe is the horsepower and torque. I'm more excited for the RWD based Genesis GV80.
Old 06-25-19, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The car is a lot smaller than marketing images make it to be IMO.
not really surprised, it's only a bit longer than the old santa fe (non-sport). it's going for 4 adults or 2 adults + 2 kids crowd with occasional 2 more in back, like most larger suvs. i'm sure something like the traverse is a good bit bigger, but the palisade interior is beautiful compared to a traverse!

it wouldn't surprise me if hyundai/kia comes out with an even bigger suv too.

while i'm jazzed about the sleek (short front overhang and lower hood finally!) new explorer, the interior shots i've seen look very 'meh'.

i'm sure an aviator is very nice, but i've not seen one on the road.
Old 06-25-19, 11:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,507 Likes on 1,805 Posts

I saw a Telluride while getting gas (in the Macan, incidentally) this weekend. Not a bad looking vehicle at all - I think it falls in the category of "looks more expensive than it is", probably due to the wheel choice. The one I saw was in black.

I think what matters most is it seems like these vehicles prioritize comfort and utility over performance, which is what the average 3-row shopper wants, I'd imagine.
Old 06-25-19, 01:22 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Good on Hyundai and Kia. Maybe it will be a wake up call for Toyota and Honda to not rest on their laurels. The new Highlander is somewhat disappointing with the same old powertrains and an immaterial increase in overall size.
Old 06-25-19, 01:39 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Good on Hyundai and Kia. Maybe it will be a wake up call for Toyota and Honda to not rest on their laurels. The new Highlander is somewhat disappointing with the same old powertrains and an immaterial increase in overall size.
The 3.8 V6 in the Telluride and Palisade isn't new, either, and isn't any more powerful than the Highlander V6. It also has a lower EPA mileage rating than the Highlander. The hybrid system in the new Highlander is not a carry over.
Old 06-25-19, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The car is a lot smaller than marketing images make it to be IMO. I know both have decent materials inside. My only gripe is the horsepower and torque.
Agreed. The Telluride definitely looks smaller in person than it does in images....I noted that in my recent write-up. The materials inside, however, while still good (and I'm not suggesting otherwise), particularly in the LX version, are not quite up to those of previous Kia products in recent years. The SX version, looks-wise at least, is noticeably better inside.

Can't comment on the Palisade because I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-25-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 02:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I really like the Palisade from what I've seen, and the price point at $46k loaded is stellar. May seriously be the replacement for the Pacifica.
Old 06-25-19, 05:24 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I drove a Telluride since my daughter and her husband are shopping. It was real nice indeed and priced more than fair considering the kick *** warranty. Everything about that car was beautiful inside and out. It's a good size for a 3 rower, very functional also BUT? It didn't have the get up and go like my V6 Grand Cherokee and didn't hold a candle to my 2.0T Santa Fe. The throttle throw is very short so you are flooring it a lot. I was a little disappointed with the mediocre acceleration. I live a mile high so at sea level it may perform better.
Old 06-25-19, 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

These two SUVs are definitely one of Hyundais better efforts in the last number of years. This is their first time I can say Hyundai has made something worthy of Toyota starting prices. I think the 3.8 is a mistake. Old and too large which leads to uncompetitive fuel economy for a new, out of the gate model. Will do well initially, but the fuel economy numbers will hold it back. Amazed that this new model does not clear 300hp.

I really like the styling, more so the side profile of the Hyundai. The chrome window trim is really cool in how it goes around the front windows, then the rear than jumps to the rear 3/4 window. Nice detail.

The front end is ok. I think the wheel well plastic is done right. No LED headlights?

We saw both at the Toronto auto show in Feb. a good effort by Hyundai and KIA. If they had a better engine, it might of been a great one.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-25-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No LED headlights?
I thought that didn’t read right...

LED headlights and taillamps are standard on the range-topping Limited model and optional on the mid-range SEL.

according to this review: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...alisade-drive/
Old 06-25-19, 08:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I thought that didn’t read right...

according to this review: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...alisade-drive/
At Hyundai USA it just says projector headlamps. So maybe it’s an option, I did not go into the options.
Old 06-25-19, 09:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
At Hyundai USA it just says projector headlamps. So maybe it’s an option, I did not go into the options.
Yeah just looked, kinda buried, in “Premium” package... n/a on SE, option on SEL, standard on Limited.
Old 06-25-19, 10:12 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I look at the two new Korean SUV's as the "flavor of the month" editions. They will do well, but it's not too hard to create a successful SUV in a time when all SUV's are doing well. I'm even seeing a lot of new Mitsubishi Outlanders.
More importantly though, the SUV craze is cyclical, and will eventually taper off at a later date. Personally, I'm not wowed by these or the new Explorer. They are excessive purchases that eat up lane space and gas, and don't do much more than what a mid-sized sedan can do.

Quick Reply: Telluride and Palisade pack an early 1-2 punch in 3 row SUV market