ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Screen size without navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 06:28 PM
Devinp1023
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screen size without navigation

I’m considering buying a new 2019 ES 350. I saw the screen size is 12 inches if you get the navigation package, and 8 inches without the navigation package.

Would those 4 inches make a huge difference? I wasn’t able to find any videos showcasing the 8 inch screen so I really can’t tell what it would look like. It seems like 4 inches off the right side is basically a giant black bezel which could maybe get annoying
Old 06-22-19, 08:47 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,219 Likes on 634 Posts

...Dude... 4 more inches always makes a huge difference.

Someone had to say it.
Old 06-23-19, 07:10 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

Ummm....go to a dealership and look?
Old 06-23-19, 07:32 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by Devinp1023
I’m considering buying a new 2019 ES 350. I saw the screen size is 12 inches if you get the navigation package, and 8 inches without the navigation package.

Would those 4 inches make a huge difference? I wasn’t able to find any videos showcasing the 8 inch screen so I really can’t tell what it would look like. It seems like 4 inches off the right side is basically a giant black bezel which could maybe get annoying
Not only would the smaller screen be an issue, but a car without navigation today is a loser. Lower resale value, more difficult to sell, and dealers don't want these cars because they're difficult to move. Bite the bullet and go for the navigation with the 12" screen. You won't be sorry 6 months after you buy one without navigation... As 95bat says: Size matters...
Old 06-23-19, 08:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
...Dude... 4 more inches always makes a huge difference.

Someone had to say it.
You saying size matters even in screen size🤔🤔🤔 Get the 12 with NAV. Why cut corners.
Old 06-23-19, 08:55 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Aside from my flip response above, I agree 100% with bc6152 and mikemu30. When I went looking for a used Gen 6 I would only consider ones with nav. Non-nav need not apply.
Old 06-23-19, 04:20 PM
Devinp1023
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Ummm....go to a dealership and look?
Hey man no need to be rude. Today is Sunday so the dealership is closed. I’m going tomorrow. Just wanted some people’s opinions before I go to the dealership and check it out myself.

as for everyone else, thanks for your responses, I appreciate it! I’m most likely going to go for the 12 inch screen.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Miami (06-25-19)
Old 06-23-19, 04:25 PM
95bat
Racer

Hey man no need to be rude. Today is Sunday so the dealership is closed. I’m going tomorrow. Just wanted some people’s opinions before I go to the dealership and check it out myself.

as for everyone else, thanks for your responses, I appreciate it! I’m most likely going to go for the 12 inch screen.
It's worth the money. We looked at an RX with the little screen and it made the vehicle look cheap.
Old 06-23-19, 04:29 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Good luck shopping. You'd be hard pressed to even find an ES with the 8" screen.
Old 06-23-19, 05:47 PM
Devinp1023
Driver School Candidate

Well the reason I was asking was because the dealership that I’m buying from has two ES’s in the exterior color that I want

1. All black interior but no navigation package so it has the smaller screen

2. Brown trim and tan seats with the navigation package and bigger screen

Everything else is the same: blindspot, lane assist, heated seats, etc.

I like the black interior more than the brown interior, but I do want the bigger screen. So basically I have to make a choice on whether I want the interior I like better or the bigger screen
Old 06-23-19, 06:22 PM
95bat
Racer

If the interior color is important, and you're able to, wait for another car. I wouldn't spend this much on a car and make compromises.
Old 06-23-19, 06:32 PM
Devinp1023
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 95bat
If the interior color is important, and you're able to, wait for another car. I wouldn't spend this much on a car and make compromises.
Unfortunately, I won’t be able to wait. I’m moving across the country for a new job and need the car as soon as I move there in a couple weeks. I also can’t look at other dealerships because I have a family member connection to help me get a great deal at this specific dealer.

I like the brown interior and would be happy with it. I just like the all black interior more. But either way, screen size is way more important to me and I would be fine with going with the brown interior to get those extra 4 inches of screen.
Old 06-23-19, 06:38 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

Well the reason I was asking was because the dealership that I’m buying from has two ES’s in the exterior color that I want

1. All black interior but no navigation package so it has the smaller screen

2. Brown trim and tan seats with the navigation package and bigger screen

Everything else is the same: blindspot, lane assist, heated seats, etc.

I like the black interior more than the brown interior, but I do want the bigger screen. So basically I have to make a choice on whether I want the interior I like better or the bigger screen
Years ago, when we didn't have two nickels to rub together, when buying a new car we would anguish about spending $40.00 for electric windows vs. crank ups. If we decided not to spend the money, always, about 6 months later, we would be sorry that we didn't go for the $40.00 and get the windows... Point being that sometimes you just have to go for it and enjoy the car the way you want it... GOOD LUCK!
The following users liked this post:
Devinp1023 (06-23-19)
Old 06-23-19, 06:45 PM
Devinp1023
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Years ago, when we didn't have two nickels to rub together, when buying a new car we would anguish about spending $40.00 for electric windows vs. crank ups. If we decided not to spend the money, always, about 6 months later, we would be sorry that we didn't go for the $40.00 and get the windows... Point being that sometimes you just have to go for it and enjoy the car the way you want it... GOOD LUCK!
Great advice! I’ll get to a dealer tomorrow and check out both options in person. I’ll go with whatever I like better
Old 06-23-19, 07:11 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

The point was, and is, that nobody can make a judgement that is subjective and that you will need to make yourself. Whether I might find an empty space annoying or not isn't relevant to whether you will. The ONLY way that YOU can decide if you can accept the look or not is to see it for yourself; thus, you need to go to a dealership and look at it with your own eyes. If it's Sunday and the dealership is closed then you are just going to have to wait for Monday. Not rude...just honestly logical. Meantime, the statements that others have made is equally valid: there are fewer people who would look for a used Lexus w/o navigation unless they are heavily into customization of the instrumentation or relying on their smart phones. Thus resale will be easier with Nav than without.

Quick Reply: Screen size without navigation