LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'99 LS with broken timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 12:06 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Default '99 LS with broken timing belt

Would it be worth it to buy a low mileage LS 2nd gen, if the only problem (and I know it's a not a little problem) was that its timing belt broke? Is it only the valves that get damaged, or something more? How about the cylinder head, cylinders themselves, and who knows what else? Is that within abilities of a mediocre shade-tree mechanic like myself? I have the patience and learn quickly, but I don't have the experience with diving inside the engine...
BTW, the price for such car would have to be loooooow (like under $1000), and obviously, it's not running at all.
Old 06-20-19, 01:13 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Walk away, if it was a gen 1 then ok
Old 06-20-19, 01:16 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
Would it be worth it to buy a low mileage LS 2nd gen, if the only problem (and I know it's a not a little problem) was that its timing belt broke? Is it only the valves that get damaged, or something more? How about the cylinder head, cylinders themselves, and who knows what else? Is that within abilities of a mediocre shade-tree mechanic like myself? I have the patience and learn quickly, but I don't have the experience with diving inside the engine...
BTW, the price for such car would have to be loooooow (like under $1000), and obviously, it's not running at all.
What is mileage?

Cheaper to obtain engine from donor vehicle. (Under 100,000 miles)

Would transplant LS430 (3UZ-FE) engine.
Old 06-20-19, 01:18 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by YODAONE
What is mileage?

Cheaper to obtain engine from donor vehicle. (Under 100,000 miles)

Would transplant LS430 (3UZ-FE) engine.
Why the 3uzfe?
Old 06-20-19, 02:33 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

if the belt broke the engine is absolutely destroyed. car isnt worth a damn. find another one. if the car was in absolutely pristine condition and only a few hundred bucks great, but not for a grand.
Old 06-20-19, 02:35 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Stereorob
if the belt broke the engine is absolutely destroyed. car isnt worth a damn. find another one. if the car was in absolutely pristine condition and only a few hundred bucks great, but not for a grand.
200 would be my offer. Although it would just be for the tranny and some other parts
Old 06-20-19, 03:08 PM
peterls
Advanced

Thanks everyone!
Yes, I too am curious - why the 3rd gen engine? Is it that much superior and in what ways, yodaone?
Also, I looked around for a used engine for that year, and it can be found, for around $900, with around 50k miles, JDM (which, I am always a bit nervous about, I mean, they just go on average, but there are people in Japan who keep their cars well beyond 50k miles). And then, it would be another 1000 to have someone drop that engine in... and then - hopefully it all works as planned... not to mention that even if I could find a really nice JDM engine, some things may not be compatible with CA exhaust stuff, and some other things would have to be changed anyway, probably good to change all seals, starter, knock sensors and who knows what else... at which point it becomes a 3000 dollar car, which I can find without going through all that pain.
T
Old 06-20-19, 03:10 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Thanks everyone!
Yes, I too am curious - why the 3rd gen engine? Is it that much superior and in what ways, yodaone?
Also, I looked around for a used engine for that year, and it can be found, for around $900, with around 50k miles, JDM (which, I am always a bit nervous about, I mean, they just go on average, but there are people in Japan who keep their cars well beyond 50k miles). And then, it would be another 1000 to have someone drop that engine in... and then - hopefully it all works as planned... not to mention that even if I could find a really nice JDM engine, some things may not be compatible with CA exhaust stuff, and some other things would have to be changed anyway, probably good to change all seals, starter, knock sensors and who knows what else... at which point it becomes a 3000 dollar car, which I can find without going through all that pain.
T

Exactly, i personally would get it for the transmission as I will most likely need one and some other stuff. Where in CA is this?
Old 06-20-19, 03:57 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

stuff a 5.7 sequoia engine in it
Old 06-20-19, 04:52 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

May want to browse this thread and the associated links:
https://forums.hybridz.org/topic/127...-1uz-question/
Old 06-20-19, 05:33 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Would it be worth it to buy a low mileage LS 2nd gen, if the only problem (and I know it's a not a little problem) was that its timing belt broke? Is it only the valves that get damaged,
Is that within abilities of a mediocre shade-tree mechanic like myself? I have the patience and learn quickly, but I don't have the experience with diving inside the engine...
First off I would say don't even look at it, unless you could use it for parts. But, depending on the RPM when the belt snapped it might not have ruined anything unless they just sat there with the key turned trying to start it. I've seen a few (not Lexus) where the belt snapped at idle and the engine was still good. But you would have to tear it apart to check everything.

Second, No offense meant here but it's definitely not a job for a "mediocre shade-tree mechanic" like yourself. ( we still friends? ) Plus ya need some specialty tools, and a big enough work space to complete the job.

And third, it might be a good father-son project to change the engine. That's if it's really cheap and the rest of the car is good.
Old 06-20-19, 05:44 PM
peterls
Advanced

Thanks deanshark, you gave me chuckles (yeah, we still friends )
And beyond tough work, and special tools there is also the wife element. She just "loves" it when I start piling up parts here, which then wait for an opportune moment when I can finally install them.
I am trying to picture her looking at a car that doesn't run and an engine waiting to be swapped...

Last edited by peterls; 06-21-19 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 05:45 PM
peterls
Advanced

SIN1uzfe, this was San Francisco Bay Area craigslist. Just posted today I think.
There was also a crashed (rear end) LS400 1st gen there few days ago, but they wanted too much for it , $1500 IIRC), but I was very close to going to see it... And then, I check today and it's gone.
Old 06-20-19, 06:16 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks deanshark, you gave me chuckles (yeah, we still friends )
And beyond tough work, and special tools there is also the wife element. She just "loves" it when I start piling up parts here, which then wait for an opportune moment when I can finally installed them.
I am trying to picture her looking at a car that doesn't run and an engine waiting to be swapped...
Oh yea, I remember those days. 15 years of those days.
Old 06-20-19, 06:23 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by deanshark
Oh yea, I remember those days. 15 years of those days.
My wife doesn't mind lol

Quick Reply: '99 LS with broken timing belt