Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

JD Power: Korean brands at top of initial quality, Lexus tops Dependability

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 04:24 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts
Default JD Power: Korean brands at top of initial quality, Lexus tops Dependability

Old 06-19-19, 04:43 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Lets go Lexus
Old 06-19-19, 04:44 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

The initial quality figure is such an useless metric. Lexus on top of real reliability as usual.
Old 06-19-19, 04:58 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I knew my Lexus was junk! I'm selling it!
Old 06-19-19, 07:45 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

Always so interesting to see Nissan, Honda and Acura below the industry average and BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz above the industry average when it comes to reliability per 100 vehicles. Not surprising to see Lexus / Toyota at the top

Also find it odd that they were not able to include Tesla in the study - in 2019, it looks like Tesla has sold more cars than other auto makers like Mitsubishi or Land Rover..
Old 06-19-19, 08:18 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Always so interesting to see Nissan, Honda and Acura below the industry average and BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz above the industry average when it comes to reliability per 100 vehicles. Not surprising to see Lexus / Toyota at the top

Also find it odd that they were not able to include Tesla in the study - in 2019, it looks like Tesla has sold more cars than other auto makers like Mitsubishi or Land Rover..
with with you on the germans being so high. I'm pretty sure most people i know still complain about their same old quality issues. It is curious Tesla isn't on that list but maybe they requested they not be cause they'd be dead last (at least in IQS with all their flaws on delivery). Its odd the korean brands are top on IQS and land rover is almost last but is that simply the fact that korean brands people expect issues and don't mention it cause of the price point they're at and then land rover customers expect perfection and point out every flaw? also would like to point out alfa is on the IQS but not the VDS lol
Old 06-19-19, 09:48 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19

I find it odd that any German car is more reliable than Honda and Acura. I know people that own BMW and Mercedes Benz, money pits and random stuff will fail prematurely. My family had a Honda Accord that I sold at 232,505 miles, only issue was transmission started to slip between the lower gears sometimes, otherwise rock solid. Then again we never changed the transmission fluid.
Old 06-20-19, 03:46 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts
Default JD Power: Korean brands at top of initial quality

Not sure why the chart just shows how Hyundai, Kia and Genesis rank against Euro and US manufacturers and excludes Japanese brands, but the article says Lexus & Toyota came in right behind Chevy (still ahead of the industry average).

https://www.wired.com/story/jd-power...urope-quality/

Another brief article from USA Today mentions- "The 2019 J.D. Power IQS survey gauges how new vehicles are faring in their first 90 days. The study plays an influential role in shaping public perceptions of automotive brands and vehicles, as automakers typically tout their performance to customers." https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...dy/1480119001/

FWIW, the Porsche 911 was ranked #1 across all models.
Old 06-20-19, 04:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Good for the Koreans.

My brother has two. A Santa Fe and a Elantra hatch. He had a CEL at 99k, went in to the dealer, was told he needed a whole new engine. A week later went back and they completed the engine change under warranty. We still wonder how he drove around for one week knowing he needed a new engine. I suspect dealer fraud. But who knows. They also changed his exhaust a year before.

Strange stuff. He does like the brand very much.
Old 06-20-19, 04:31 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 143 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
with with you on the germans being so high. I'm pretty sure most people i know still complain about their same old quality issues. It is curious Tesla isn't on that list but maybe they requested they not be cause they'd be dead last (at least in IQS with all their flaws on delivery). Its odd the korean brands are top on IQS and land rover is almost last but is that simply the fact that korean brands people expect issues and don't mention it cause of the price point they're at and then land rover customers expect perfection and point out every flaw? also would like to point out alfa is on the IQS but not the VDS lol
No, Tesla is not there. You can thank California for it because nearly half of all Tesla new sales are in California.California restricts their registration and sales data, which eliminates JD Power from getting the owner names for research (which is allowed by Federal law) so there isn't enough of a sample for JD Power to get a fair market overview.
Old 06-20-19, 05:56 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
the article says Lexus & Toyota came in right behind Chevy (still ahead of the industry average).
they arent fooling anyone...
Old 06-20-19, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Even over and above things like infotainment systems, which many customers complain about, my experience in looking at, reviewing, and test-driving new vehicles is that the main list is spot-on....Genesis and Kia (and Hyundai, to a lesser extent) , in fact, do have the new vehicles that come from the factory the most solidly screwed-together, with good materials inside and out, and give the sensation of being carved from granite. Every Genesis product I have looked at, quality-wise has essentially been flawless....if I was buying a vehicle solely based on initial quality alone, I'd pick a Genesis product. (I can understand how bitkahuna was attracted to the G90, and why he made such a quick decision, whiteout much previous discussion, to take one home).

The only recent exception I have seen to this general Korean superiority in initial quality and solidness has been the LX version of the new Kia Telluride. It is still a solid, well-built product (above average, I'd say), but doesn't quite show the material solidness inside or solid door-closings that we've come to expect from this brand in say, the last 10 years or so. I hope it is not a sign of a future downward or cost-cutting trend in materials with the Koreans, like we saw with Mercedes in the 1990s or with Lexus after the mid-2000s.
Old 06-20-19, 06:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
they arent fooling anyone...
They are not trying to fool anyone. Putting Genesis and Kia on top of initial quality surveys is only telling it like is.
Old 06-20-19, 07:55 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They are not trying to fool anyone. Putting Genesis and Kia on top of initial quality surveys is only telling it like is.
He was referring to Lexus and Toyota coming in behind Chevy based on what he quoted from me in his response.
Old 06-20-19, 08:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Mini or Chevy in the same dependability universe as a Toyota, would you like to see my bridge brochures?

Quick Reply: JD Power: Korean brands at top of initial quality, Lexus tops Dependability