LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Humming noise on a 99

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 10:56 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Humming noise on a 99

All major fixes done. Last repair besides hunting the noise is rear brakes. Have the rotors and pads but haven't done them yet. Will be done next weekend.

Now to tackle a humming noise. I have this noise that gets louder the faster I go from 45 and up. Replaced one bad wheel bearing checked the others. Got new tires. Balanced twice. Replaced front rotors and brakes. Replaced engine and tranny mounts. Had rims checked for bends. Replaced tranny filter and fluid twice. Replaced drive shaft center mount. Had drive shaft checked. Diff fluid changed. Replaced all ripped bushings in pairs. However a similar noise presents itself when revving at idle. I'ma rev at 2500 rpm tomorrow morning and see if it sounds the same. Could be a pulley? Edit: While some vibration no noise.

When at around 60 to 70 the noise turning to a groaning hum and changes pitch from high to low then back to high and repeat the whole time. It sounds like it's coming from the front.

Edit: I put it in neutral while at 70 noise remains
Edit: should note I didn't do these repairs based on the noise, they were needed as they were bad or worn/ripped.

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 06-19-19 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-18-19, 11:05 PM
bradland

Received 648 Likes on 530 Posts

All the recent service info is good but you still haven't told us what area of the car the noise is coming from.
Old 06-18-19, 11:08 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by bradland
All the recent service info is good but you still haven't told us what area of the car the noise is coming from.
Sounds like the front.
Old 06-19-19, 07:12 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

If it is at one certain speed, or thereabout (say 50mph), it could be your differential. I have the same problem and it only happens at 65mph, because the old lady who owned it before me always drove the car at that speed (on highway). Probably had her cruise setup like that and used it at the same speed for 20 years.
At the advice of my mechanic, I just live with it, although, I will replace the differential eventually, especially if the hum become worse.
And, no, it does not sound like it's coming from the back (low frequency sounds are hard to determine where they come from due to their long soundwaves. That's why we use only one subwoofer in our home theaters), although when my son sits in the back seat, he says that to him it sounds like it's coming from the back.
Old 06-19-19, 07:36 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by peterls
If it is at one certain speed, or thereabout (say 50mph), it could be your differential. I have the same problem and it only happens at 65mph, because the old lady who owned it before me always drove the car at that speed (on highway). Probably had her cruise setup like that and used it at the same speed for 20 years.
At the advice of my mechanic, I just live with it, although, I will replace the differential eventually, especially if the hum become worse.
And, no, it does not sound like it's coming from the back (low frequency sounds are hard to determine where they come from due to their long soundwaves. That's why we use only one subwoofer in our home theaters), although when my son sits in the back seat, he says that to him it sounds like it's coming from the back.
How would that be checked?
Old 06-19-19, 08:08 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Why don't you set up a microphone to places where you suspect? I always do this way and I can find the sound source easily and quickly. To use a stereo microphone is quite effective. It is also a good idea to share the sound to us. Someone might give you some good information.
Old 06-19-19, 08:09 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Yamae
Why don't you set up a microphone to places where you suspect? I always do this way and I can find the sound source easily and quickly. To use a stereo microphone is quite effective. It is also a good idea to share the sound to us. Someone might give you some good information.
Ill record when I go back on the highway
Old 06-19-19, 10:05 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Dropped it off to another mechanic for a $85 diagnosis

Says it's this

https://www.ebay.com/p/4l60e-Rear-Pl...l65e/851748497

Anyone know it's part number?

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 06-19-19 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 10:15 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting... but yet you can hear it at idle and when in neutral while doing 70 MPH. Not sure what the planetary gear does, but don't think it would be engaged when in park and in neutral when you still hear the noise.
But if the tech had it up on the rack and in drive and could isolate the noise to that instead of just guessing then I guess that could be the culprit. Based on your description, I would not have looked at that. More like a bearing in the idler arm or alternator or PS pump. Good luck with the repair.
Old 06-20-19, 10:19 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Legender
Interesting... but yet you can hear it at idle and when in neutral while doing 70 MPH. Not sure what the planetary gear does, but don't think it would be engaged when in park and in neutral when you still hear the noise.
But if the tech had it up on the rack and in drive and could isolate the noise to that instead of just guessing then I guess that could be the culprit. Based on your description, I would not have looked at that. More like a bearing in the idler arm or alternator or PS pump. Good luck with the repair.
Yup he said he put it on the rack and got it to 70. So that eliminated the front wheel bearings regardless. I'm hoping it's a pulley but 2 guys say it's transmission the second guy narrowed a bit more and said planetary. I could either take it to a 3rd opinion or take up the first guy on a free check. Drop the pan and check them. Either way it'll be anothet fluid drain and refil
Old 06-20-19, 10:20 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Since work is on surface streets and 5 miles away I was not able to get an audio recording. But once I get on the freeway I will
Old 06-22-19, 09:07 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

What are the chances there is an issue with ebrake? Rubbing on the rotor etc. Something that wasn't mentioned

Don't think one can tell from this recording but here it is

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Onctf470MGUErLVw0kZF7fZScUr023gn/view?usp=drivesdk

Paid attention and it does sound it's coming from the front. Namely the left. Kinda feels like the bearing is the culprit but two different mechanics say they are good.

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 06-22-19 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 07:09 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
What are the chances there is an issue with ebrake? Rubbing on the rotor etc. Something that wasn't mentioned

Don't think one can tell from this recording but here it is

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Onc...w?usp=drivesdk

Paid attention and it does sound it's coming from the front. Namely the left. Kinda feels like the bearing is the culprit but two different mechanics say they are good.
Not the E-brake. The mechanic definitely would have heard that while it was on the lift. Plus, that would be a scraping, not humming. If it sounds like a bearing in one of the pulleys you can always just take off the belt and take it for a short drive to see if it's gone. You wont have power steering and battery wont charge but a little drive wont hurt.
Old 06-23-19, 08:44 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by deanshark
Not the E-brake. The mechanic definitely would have heard that while it was on the lift. Plus, that would be a scraping, not humming. If it sounds like a bearing in one of the pulleys you can always just take off the belt and take it for a short drive to see if it's gone. You wont have power steering and battery wont charge but a little drive wont hurt.

A few weeks ago an AC line snapped off and hit the belt hard enough to knock it off, I drove it 3 miles home and still heard it. I'ma take to another mechanic to check on friday

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 06-23-19 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 09:19 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Couldn't hear anything tho. Had the wife hold it at 2500rpm. Maybe someone with more ls experience can tell.

Last edited by Sin1UZFE; 06-23-19 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Humming noise on a 99