Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Lexus GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 09:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 Lexus GX 460

Lexus has updated its GX 460 SUV for 2020. The GX 460 is one of the longer-running SUV models on the market, as it was originally unveiled around a decade ago and it's still based on the sturdy Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, which is a touch more compact than the U.S. market Land Cruiser.

The refresh gives the model some new touches to keep it in line with other current Lexus products, including a more contemporary spindle grille and new headlights, but it's restyled along the same moderate lines as the previous updates the GX 460 has received during its tenure. There are color and trim adjustments, including the addition of very red leather, but the powertrain remains the same: the 301-horsepower 4.6-liter V8 with 329 lb-ft or torque.

But still, the ladder-frame GX 460 has off-road agility thanks to its Prado DNA, and those capabilities are now enhanced with a new Off-Road Package made available on the Luxury trim level. Cameras feed to multi-view and panoramic monitors to give the driver a better idea of the vehicle's surroundings off the beaten path, and Crawl Control and Multi-Terrain Select make it easier to handle the surfaces underneath the GX 460.

Crawl Control keeps the vehicle progressing steadily in low range, also utilizing what Lexus calls "virtual" locking diffs. The GX 460's drivetrain comes with a Torsen limited slip differential, too. Multi-Terrain Select regulates wheelspin and can be automatically set to perform best in mud, sand, loose rocks or other driving surfaces. There's also downhill assist and hill-start assist as well as active traction control and vehicle stability control.

As for on-road safety, Lexus has made its Safety System+ suite standard, and it comprises a Pre-Collision System together with pedestrian detection, lane departure alert, automatic high beam control and high-speed dynamic radar cruise control. Our test of the 2018 model lamented the lack of the latter in standard specification, but that matter has now been addressed. For on-road comfort, there's also the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, or KDSS, and an available adaptive variable suspension that has electronic control instead of just a fluid-based setup as in the KDSS. Any pricing adjustments have not yet been announced.
Source
Old 06-18-19, 09:09 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the front Grille is big enough.
Old 06-18-19, 09:10 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like the revised grill and the small interior changes, though I cannot really picture this with the Rioja Red interior. Added features and new wood are good too.

But I need to see those headlights in real life. If that's a one piece lens that goes from the top of the light to the bottom of the DRL, then it looks huge and I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Old 06-18-19, 09:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The grill looks great. The triple LED beam headlights look great. The small interior refinements are nice. Shame they couldn't tweak the motor.
Old 06-18-19, 10:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Pretty weak effort. Can’t wait to see what is updated in the 4Runner.
Old 06-18-19, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Very minor, but nice upgrades. Still wouldn't buy one.
Old 06-18-19, 12:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

That grille is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 06-18-19, 12:49 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I think the grille needs to be at least 40% bigger... otherwise BMW with their 7 series is winning!!!!
Old 06-18-19, 01:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
I think the grille needs to be at least 40% bigger... otherwise BMW with their 7 series is winning!!!!
Lexus left room for a bigger grille the refresh will no doubt be something like this.

Old 06-18-19, 01:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Lexus left room for a bigger grille the refresh will no doubt be something like this.

OMG That is funny.. Looks like a snow plow.
Old 06-18-19, 01:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

This would have been perfect back in 2016 when the LX got refreshed, when the landscape of what was to come was different then what is here now. This seems like a project that was originally scheduled for launch much earlier, but postponed for one of many reasons.

Three glaring faults:

1) LSS in this model, is nothing more then taking the features of driver assist and putting into a new PR term. High speed cruise control is not the same as full speed cruise control available in the proper LSS V1

2) GEN 8 Navigation system....WHY? Heck the 4rrunner is getting is AA/CP, and the current 4RX with its move back to touchscreen aka the signal moving forward all Lexus models will return to touch......

3) No 8 Speed....but 6 speed with the modern E-shift **** from recent models.....

If Lexus intends to bump MSRP and/or take away their generous incentives package....LOL Too many alternatives including the 19s are available

BTW just to showcase that even Lexus yawned at the idea of this redesign

Source: Official Lexus website images

I wonder what year am I

I wonder what MY am I?
Old 06-18-19, 01:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

LOL... that is a seriously weak effort. same safety as a Corolla now. worse infotainment though.

and Lexus2000 - your chop made me LOL!!!
Old 06-18-19, 01:46 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
This would have been perfect back in 2016 when the LX got refreshed, when the landscape of what was to come was different then what is here now. This seems like a project that was originally scheduled for launch much earlier, but postponed for one of many reasons.

Three glaring faults:

1) LSS in this model, is nothing more then taking the features of driver assist and putting into a new PR term. High speed cruise control is not the same as full speed cruise control available in the proper LSS V1

2) GEN 8 Navigation system....WHY? Heck the 4rrunner is getting is AA/CP, and the current 4RX with its move back to touchscreen aka the signal moving forward all Lexus models will return to touch......

3) No 8 Speed....but 6 speed with the modern E-shift **** from recent models.....

If Lexus intends to bump MSRP and/or take away their generous incentives package....LOL Too many alternatives including the 19s are available

BTW just to showcase that even Lexus yawned at the idea of this redesign

Source: Official Lexus website images

I wonder what year am I

I wonder what MY am I?
very lazy and why would they even call this a refresh? more like just a new MY change. That headlight shape should have been updated to not be rounded by the grill since it was only round to fit a round projector but doesn't fit the triple LED light setup. Dash is still the 15 year old dash? needs some major updating
Old 06-18-19, 03:08 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Well my lease of my 2018 GX is up in another 2yrs. I reckon there won't be anything new to move to.
Old 06-18-19, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and Lexus2000 - your chop made me LOL!!!
At the rate things are going with vehicle-designs, I'm not sure it's a chop.

Quick Reply: 2020 Lexus GX 460