RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Looking for Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 03:18 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Looking for Some Advice

Let me start out by saying I am not a RX owner however I am the proud owner of a 2010 LS 460L and a 2006 SC 430. I am looking at a 2000 RX 300 a one owner with 69,000 on the clock. My grand daughter has been driving her fathers Range Rover for the last 2 years and he wants it back so he does not need to drive his 2005 SC 430 during bad weather. I have been doing some research for him and found the RX 300 of which I have no knowledge of. The lexus driver web page is down so I can not check the service history. The GD is a sophomore at UNCW and wants some type of SUV after driving the Range Rover for the last 2 years. Is there any reasons not to look at the 2000 RX 300? It is a little overpriced at $6998 but if he could get it at $6000 it might not be a bad deal pending on the Service History.

Thanks for any input

Dennis
Old 06-17-19, 03:58 PM
ricco750
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I assume you are looking for advice as to whether the RX is a good all-weather and snow/ice car. I can tell you it's the best snow car I have ever driven, even better than a 4wd full-size Bronco I used to have. Many people are customizing RX's...lifts, big tires, etc...for off-road adventures. I assume you are looking at an AWD, which is what mine is. I'll bet it's better in performance than the Range Rover...and a hell of a lot easier and less expensive to fix, if necessary. Without hesitation, I highly recommend it.
Old 06-17-19, 07:25 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

ricco750

Thanks for reply. I was just looking as to what folks thought about the 1st Gen RX you know did it have any issues that someone should be concerned with that type of thing. Yes it is the AWD version and yes the range rover is a nightmare to deal with. For the first several years it was in the shop more than it was in his driveway. It had more electrical problems than you could shake a stick at. They have mostly been taken care of now. I have a 1990 Ford Bronco II XLT 4x4 with a 126,xxx on the clock that I would drive any place any time. You could not give me that Range Rover.

Thanks Again for the reply

Dennis
Old 06-18-19, 04:06 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

In my opinion - and experience - if you are interested in first generation RX300, limit yourself to the facelifted years (2001-2003) and in particular '02 or '03.
Old 06-18-19, 07:00 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

JAB

It's not so much that I am interested in a 2000 RX 300 I just happened to find one with 69K on the clock and according to another forum member who was able to access the Lexus Driver Service History said it has a perfect service history and was even serviced at the dealership in May of this year. The RX would be for a sophomore at UNCW so I guess what I am really looking for is advise on why I should not recommend this car to my son for his daughter?

Thanks

Dennis
Old 06-18-19, 07:48 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I would not buy the car without a personal inspection at a minimum. If it has continuously been serviced at a dealer then yes it could be a good buy. Is it being sold by owner, a Lexus dealer, or a used car lot?
Old 06-18-19, 08:28 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The good is that it is low milage.
The bad is it is old. Lacks lots of bells an whistles that folks expect at this time. The old also means aging of rubber parts, leather, piping etc. With time they dry out and tend to crack/break when stressed. Check the age of the tires even if the tread is good.

The asking price is high because of low milage. On milage, I would only worry if the vehicle was not maintained and if it was excessive. Check the BlueBook value to make sure you are not overpaying.

The best judge for appearance and features is you/GD. Keep in mind transmission is the weakest mechanical piece in the machinery. I had no issues with mine for 1/4 million miles.

Salim
Old 06-18-19, 11:28 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Salim

Thanks for your response. Again not looking for all the latest bells and whistles. I am not looking at another LS or SC. I am looking at a car than on average has been driven 3,650 miles a year over the last 19 years and has been serviced by the same Lexus Dealership it's entire life up until May 2019. I would guess someone traded it in and it went to auction and it ended up at the used car lot that has it for sale. It is for a 19 year old GD who is a sophomore at the University of NCW. My LS is 9 years old and my SC is going on 14 years old and both have been trouble free for their entire life. I know the GD will trash the interior being a 19 year old but it should get her out of school without her dad dumping lots of money in it. The Lexus line back in the early to mid 2000's were in their hay day of quality.

Dennis
Old 06-18-19, 02:35 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

my big concern of a 2000 RX with low miles would be the frequency of oil changes. IIRC, the 2000 year model has a plastic push in style pcv which would indicate first version rear valve cover. If the oil was changed frequently regardless of the low milage, it is not of a concern but if it was mainly local driving and 3k+ oil changes over the course of a few years..., this version rear valve cover is susceptible for clogging and will contribute to oil consumption. Good news the solution is to use the updated rear valve cover found in the RX330, IF...it consumes oil.
Old 06-18-19, 02:48 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

fastnoypi

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what the oil change intervals requirements were on a 2000 RX 300 but the service history is impeccable clear up until May 2019. Are these 1st Gen RX's known to have a given issue? The 07,08,09 LS 460's were know to have control arm problems my 2010 LS 460L has not had any of those type issues and I just turned 82K on the clock. I see folks on this forum that have 150-300K on the clock and still going strong.

Dennis
Old 06-18-19, 07:58 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

1st Generation RX300 require timing belt changed along with water pump and idle wheel. The transmission tends to be a weak point. Considering the cost and upcoming maintenance I would take a pass and instead invest on a second or third generation RX or even a Toyota Highlander.
Old 06-18-19, 10:15 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

'99 RX of mine is among the best vehicles I have owned. Mind you, I bought new [paid almost the sticker price] and used it till the insurance company declared it totaled and offered me much less than what it was worth to me near 250,000 miles. So I can with clear conscience whole heartedly recommend first gen RX. Mine was well used and well maintained ... other than tires, wiper blades, brake-pads and batteries the repair needed was a short list.
1. Idle control valve servicing.
2. Starter contacts.
3. Oil control valve servicing.
4. Antenna Mast [replaced 2 times]
5. Lower control arms.
6. CV joints inner boots.
7. lock actuators
8. Mode Servo
9. Knock Sensors
10. The timing chain trains [water pump every 180k, roller idllers, tensioner every time]

The above list is fairly common ailments. I never had oil consumption issue or transmission issue. Although these two do show up in discussions.

Another word of caution [OP has owned Lexus vehicle] ..Dealership is expensive for repairs. I would encourage GD to read the sticky threads and test drive the RX in consideration. If she loves it then negotiate the right price after having some one check the vehicle out.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-19-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 06:42 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

salimshah

Thanks for your response. It is good to know that these were/are quality built cars. I believe I can state with a 1000 percent assurance that my 19 year old GD will not be reading any sticky posts regarding cars and I would be willing to bet that until she starts writing the checks she will drive what her fathers provides her to drive.

Thanks for all the replies everyone
Old 06-19-19, 09:45 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would be concerned about sludge, such a low mileage may mean very short trips, and if not synthetic oil, than the sludge will build up with these short trips over that many years. I would only consider it if the front valve cover were removed and inspected for sludge. This particular engine had issues with sludge with poor maintenance or driving that doesn't create warm engine conditions. Saw it in a neighbors Highlander with same engine, oil changed on time, but the short trips were the death to the engine with a normal oil.
Old 06-20-19, 06:35 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
fastnoypi

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what the oil change intervals requirements were on a 2000 RX 300 but the service history is impeccable clear up until May 2019. Are these 1st Gen RX's known to have a given issue? The 07,08,09 LS 460's were know to have control arm problems my 2010 LS 460L has not had any of those type issues and I just turned 82K on the clock. I see folks on this forum that have 150-300K on the clock and still going strong.

Dennis
1st Gen RXs are known to sludge with the 2 versions of their rear valve cover IF the oil change frequency isn't often and/or used for very short trips where the oil does not have enough time to boil off any moisture accumulated during over night parking/cool off. As I pointed out in my earlier response, an updated revision rear valve cover found on the RX330 ( and other similiar year toyotas with the same part number) is a fix if you encounter an oil consumption/sludge issue. It's a job worthwhile doing if you are also experiencing rear valve cover leaks and finding oil on your rear plugs because you need to take off the intake manifold.

Other than that, the only other issue of concern is transmission longevity. Our 1st Gen RX is still in the family with over 200k miles on the original transmission and its durability may be due to my DIY 60k ATF drain and fill intervals. Besides a lubricant, ATF also acts as a cooling agent and a hydraulic fluid, for the clutch packs and other transmission components. When the level is below optimal, it heats up and is more prone to burning. Burnt fluid is degraded and will no longer has the properties to protect the components. It has otherwise been a good relatively low maintenance vehicle for us.

Quick Reply: Looking for Some Advice