SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Driver's Side Sun Visor has Slack

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 06:30 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Driver's Side Sun Visor has Slack

I noticed on our SC that the driver's side sun visor droops down about an inch. Is there a quick fix or adjustment that can take care of this excess slack or does the sun visor need to be replaced?
Old 06-17-19, 09:35 AM
bgeeez
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i used a small piece of velcro to keep mine from falling down
The following users liked this post:
maarp (06-17-19)
Old 06-17-19, 11:27 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Velcro! Brilliant!
Old 06-17-19, 04:07 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bgeeez
i used a small piece of velcro to keep mine from falling down
Practical solution, thanks.
Old 06-17-19, 07:00 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
I noticed on our SC that the driver's side sun visor droops down about an inch. Is there a quick fix or adjustment that can take care of this excess slack or does the sun visor need to be replaced?
Is it just loose?
the visors on my 2002 and 2007 are both tight and kind of snap in the up stored position.
can you post a video clip?
Old 06-18-19, 05:54 AM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Naughty SC has the same problem. I have considered velcro also but.....we'll see what others have tried.

There is a "dot" above the visor. Is that a standoff or a magnet?
Old 06-18-19, 03:24 PM
Oldsig
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Is it just loose?
the visors on my 2002 and 2007 are both tight and kind of snap in the up stored position.
My '06 is like that too. Kind of startling the 1st time you flip it back up.
Old 06-20-19, 06:15 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Is it just loose?
My wife pointed it out to me this morning, it's now drooping down about 2-3 inches. I have not looked closely at it and because it's getting a lot more slack quickly, is there some sort of an adjustment I can make or a screw that I tighten it up with? I'll try to take video with my iPhone this weekend and upload it. I'm assuming uploading a video is similar to uploading a photo.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-20-19 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 08:03 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Mine is tight and snaps in place. If the roller worn out and can’t hold the visor, try to insert the thin wire to the roller to create the friction. Otherwise, use Velcro or replace the visor.
Old 06-20-19, 05:43 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

So when you say that your visor has slack, do you mean the visor body itself or that it is hanging lower (more of an angle than normal) from the hinge?

I suspect the latter. If that is the case, you'll notice at the hinge that there is a cap of sorts (maybe in 2 pieces) that covers the footing of the hinge. If you'll pop that off (I've never done it so I don't know what that entails), you'll likely find that the hinge involves a flat piece (footing or bracket) that is mounted to the roof by 2 or three screws. I suspect that one or more of the screws has come loose (backed out somewhat). If you'll tighten those screws up, the visor ought to be straight again. That is unless the hinge itself has been damaged (bent or worn out).

If you do pop the cap off, be sure to take a picture of it with the cap off and post it here.
Old 06-20-19, 06:09 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harold57
So when you say that your visor has slack, do you mean the visor body itself or that it is hanging lower (more of an angle than normal) from the hinge?

I suspect the latter. If that is the case, you'll notice at the hinge that there is a cap of sorts (maybe in 2 pieces) that covers the footing of the hinge. If you'll pop that off (I've never done it so I don't know what that entails), you'll likely find that the hinge involves a flat piece (footing or bracket) that is mounted to the roof by 2 or three screws. I suspect that one or more of the screws has come loose (backed out somewhat). If you'll tighten those screws up, the visor ought to be straight again. That is unless the hinge itself has been damaged (bent or worn out).

If you do pop the cap off, be sure to take a picture of it with the cap off and post it here.
What I mean by slack is that it will not close up all of the way. It was hanging down about an inch, but within the last couple of days it's drooping lower from it's closed up position by about two or three inches. I find it almost odd that it's drooping down a lower all of the sudden, hence the reason I was asking about an adjustment screw of some sort. It sure seems like something came loose all of the sudden, on the hand maybe they wear out in a binary fashion.

I have taken a look at them online and you are correct, once the aesthetic foot cover is popped off there are a couple of screws and then some wiring with a plug socket for the light.

I also called a dealer for pricing, $313 for the driver's side sun visor and according to this parts person, he said he would have to order it and that there are only four dark brown driver side visors left within all the dealers in the states. I also checked on EBay and for about $100 less I may be able to get the exact same visor with an identical part number. From what I've learned the last two letters at the end of the part number are the color code, EO for dark brown and CO for black. Although our sun visor looks black, I think they are very dark brown with the Camel interior. I'm currently using my VIN to ensure I'm ordering the correct one, if needed.

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-21-19 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-21-19, 02:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

What I mean by slack is that it will not close up all of the way. It was hanging down about an inch, but within the last couple of days it's drooping lower from it's closed up position by about two or three inches. I find it almost odd that it's drooping down a lower all of the sudden, hence the reason I was asking about an adjustment screw of some sort. It sure seems like something came loose all of the sudden, on the hand maybe they wear out in a binary fashion.

I have taken a look at them online and you are correct, once the aesthetic foot cover is popped off there are a couple of screws and then some wiring with a plug socket for the light.

I also called a dealer for pricing, $313 for the driver's side sun visor and according to this parts person, he said he would have to order it and that there are only four dark brown driver side visors left within all the dealers in the states. I also checked on EBay and for about $100 less I may be able to get the exact same visor with an identical part number. From what I've learned the last two letters at the end of the part number are the color code, EO for dark brown and CO for black. Although our sun visor looks black, I think they are very dark brown with the Camel interior. I'm currently using my VIN to ensure I'm ordering the correct one if I needed.
I found a new sun visor on Megazip.com for $176 shipped.
Old 06-21-19, 06:21 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

I found a new sun visor on Megazip.com for $176 shipped.
Interesting website, thanks. I did a search with my VIN and both the right and left sun visors "This part is discontinued by manufacturer or sold out", but at least I confirmed the part number and that it is dark brown. When they refer to right is that from the perspective of sitting in car and therefore it's the US passenger side?

Last edited by sixonemale; 06-22-19 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-21-19, 02:16 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

based on comments above, I pulled down firmly but gently on the shaft that holds the visor and is attached to the ceiling. The visor seems to hold position. Perhaps it was the angle of the arm in relationship to the visor.

I'll see if this continues to work.
Old 06-23-19, 07:06 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting website, thanks. I did a search with my VIN and both the right and left sun visors "This part is discontinued by manufacturer or sold out", but at least I confirmed the part number and that it is dark brown. When they refer to right is that from the perspective of sitting in car and therefore it's the US passenger side?
Correct, right is US passenger side.

Quick Reply: Driver's Side Sun Visor has Slack