GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Stumped! Red Triangle Warning Light On Dash????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 05:20 AM
FLYIN4D
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Stumped! Red Triangle Warning Light On Dash????

2006 Lexus GS300 - RWD

Ok. So the "Red Triangle w/Exclamation Mark" is present on my dash now; its steady/not flashing.

I read the owners manual - very vague.

I watched multiple YouTube video's, and just about all of them referred to clearing it from the dash as "resetting the maintenance light", I tried that method specific to my '06 GS300 and it didn't work. It reset the maintenance function, but didn't clear the light.

So, I then drove the car to AutoZone and had them put their scanner on it to see if it would throw a code. NOTHING! No codes!

The TPMS light is on and had been for quite a while because I refuse to replace those modules. I manually check my tires once a week with a decent tire gauge anyway, and pressures are correct. Could this TPMS be the reason why the "Red Triangle" is present? Seems like it would've been present the same time the TPMS light came on a long time ago.

The only thing I haven't done yet is remove the negative battery cable method for 15-min. Even if I do that won't it come back anyway?

Do I now have to take it to an independent mechanic shop and pay to have it cleared?

Last edited by FLYIN4D; 06-17-19 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 05:33 AM
FLYIN4D
Driver School Candidate

Default HELP! Red Triangle Warning Light On Dash - 2006 Lexus GS300

Ok. So the "Red Triangle w/Exclamation Mark" is present on my dash now; its steady/not flashing.

I read the owners manual - very vague.

I watched multiple YouTube video's, and just about all of them referred to clearing it from the dash as "resetting the maintenance light", I tried that method specific to my '06 GS300 and it didn't work. It reset the maintenance function, but didn't clear the light.

So, I then drove the car to AutoZone and had them put their scanner on it to see if it would throw a code. NOTHING! No codes!

The TPMS light is on and had been for quite a while because I refuse to replace those modules. I manually check my tires once a week with a decent tire gauge anyway and pressures are correct. Could this TPMS be the reason why the "Red Triangle" is present? Seems like it would've been present the same time the TPMS light came on a long time ago.

The only thing I haven't done yet is remove the negative battery cable method for 15-min. Even if I do that won't it come back anyway?

Do I now have to take it to an independent mechanic shop and pay to have it cleared?
Old 06-17-19, 10:29 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like the TPMS. My wheel had a small leak due to some corrosion, and it will constantly ding and throw that annoying triangle up. If your tire pressure checks out fine, you'll want to replace the TPMS unit(s). Another that sets it off, and drives me absolutely insane, is the low window washer fluid warning.
Old 06-17-19, 10:35 AM
FLYIN4D
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Sounds like the TPMS. My wheel had a small leak due to some corrosion, and it will constantly ding and throw that annoying triangle up. If your tire pressure checks out fine, you'll want to replace the TPMS unit(s). Another that sets it off, and drives me absolutely insane, is the low window washer fluid warning.
TRD,

Thanks man. I attributed it to thet TPMS. I checked the tires cold this morning and each one was at 31-psi. Factory recommends 33-psi. I'm certain the sensor(s) need replacing, but I'm not going to replace them. I can look at the TPMS symbol and red triangle from now on. I did notice my coolant res tank was low. I topped it off. I'll check the wash fluid also. Thanks again.
Old 06-18-19, 09:29 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar issue tried the disconnection of battery and that was a waste of time. I ended up clearing all TPMS and then have them reset/programed.
Old 06-19-19, 11:39 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The TPMS on my other Toyota product only lit up the TPMS warning. Can understand your reluctance to change those sensors at ~$140 each. They usually last 8 years give take a bit. Since there are no codes, may be a faulty sensor elsewhere. Disconnect the battery and see what that does.
Old 06-19-19, 05:25 PM
FLYIN4D
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
The TPMS on my other Toyota product only lit up the TPMS warning. Can understand your reluctance to change those sensors at ~$140 each. They usually last 8 years give take a bit. Since there are no codes, may be a faulty sensor elsewhere. Disconnect the battery and see what that does.
I've been reluctant to disconnect the battery due to the radio lockout. In doing so, is there a code I need in order to reactivate the battery? I remember my Acura and Accord was this way when the battery got disconnected.
Old 06-19-19, 05:27 PM
FLYIN4D
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wickedtaco
Had a similar issue tried the disconnection of battery and that was a waste of time. I ended up clearing all TPMS and then have them reset/programed.
What process did you use to clear them?

I thought I read where you can't reset the sensors. Once the batteries are toast you just have to get brand new sensors. Not true?
Old 06-22-19, 11:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Merged from the Maintenance section.
This thread for some supplemental reading:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...connected.html
Old 06-22-19, 12:41 PM
snakeo2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

rockauto has Denso TPMS sensors @$32/each. Denso is a major OEM supplier to Lexus/Toyota. You can replace all four sensors for a little over $130 plus shipping. I drive a GS460, but I imagine that the 350/460 use the same TPMS sensors.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...)+sensor,12036
Old 07-01-19, 07:28 AM
FLYIN4D
Driver School Candidate

still so fix, but its not a problem to worry about